Questions for those who chase the Lux

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm starting to comb through old build threads, but I'm also looking for more recent builder experience.

I want to build the furthest throwing light possible within some constraints.

I would like to use either an XPL Hi, or XHP 35 Hi, and am looking for the most compact aspheric or fresnel lens, with the shortest possible focusing distance.

I'm also reading through the available information on overdriving these LEDs, so that extra output can be taken into accou t.

Ideally, I would like to see 150k or more lux, but using optics in the 70-80mm diameter range.

I'm also looking at some of the 75mm gaggione collimators available from cutter electronics, but would like a tighter beam, if possible. I am willing to have an overall depth (from base of LED on pcb to leading edge of the optic) somewhat greater than the depth of the gaggione collimator, but ultimately I am chasing the tightest beam and highest lux within some diameter and overall depth constraints.

If anyone has built any super throwers recently and/or has some insight on optics selection, please let me know guys.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will let the experts answer this. But will ask, does lumens or size of hot spot count?

An XPG2 can be focused for maximum range, but lumens are low and hot spot is small.

If throw is your only criteria, you should probably look at XPG2.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will let the experts answer this. But will ask, does lumens or size of hot spot count?

An XPG2 can be focused for maximum range, but lumens are low and hot spot is small.

If throw is your only criteria, you should probably look at XPG2.

I'm not looking to have the absolute smallest beam. Gaggione has a 75mm optic that specs state give the xpl hi a 158 lux/lm rating with a 6 degree beam pattern. So with the xplHi's max rated output at 1k lumens, thats about 158k lux. An xhp 35 hi would net me more total light but lower overal intensity. f I can beat that max intensity with just a slightly narrower beam I'd be ecstatic.

Ultimately, I recognize that a larger optic is going to let me be more flexible, but I'm trying to work within some size and depth constraints.