Lambda Illuminator-III preview: 2AA Lux 3 screamer

LightScene

Enlightened
It doesn't have to be a $200 light that replaces all other lights. Just a basic, well heat-sinked, 1 amp screamer that runs on 2 AA's - preferably rechargeables, because you're gonna go through batteries like hot-cakes. And besides, 2 alkalines just won't deliver enough current.

The 2AA form factor, with rechargeable batts is unbeatable. It's comfortable, pocketable, and cheap to use. This is what we really need.

Puny drop-ins just won't cut it. Sure they're nice, but without excellent heat-sinking, they won't perform to the Lux 3's capabilities.

Nobody wants to burn-off 123's at the rate of 1 amp per hour. We need cheap, rechargeable power.

nisshin

Enlightened
Re: Would someone PLEASE make a 2AA Lux 3 screamer.

There is a 3AA Luxeon III flashlight made by Elektrolumens called the Blaster Jr. (http://www.elektrolumens.com/).

Edit: Sorry! Read it wrong: it's only a 1w Luxeon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

nisshin

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
nisshin said:
There is a 3AA Luxeon III flashlight made by Elektrolumens called the Blaster Jr. (http://www.elektrolumens.com/).

Edit: Sorry! Read it wrong: it's only a 1w Luxeon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

nisshin

[/ QUOTE ]

Blaster Junior is an excellent light. Only thing that bugs me is it's about twice as heavy and 50% larger than it really needs to be in order to house 3AA, a switch, and a 30mm optic - which, incidentally, could be replaced with a decent size reflector, if that's what one preferred. It was never designed around 3AA batteries. Instead, it's a chopped off 2D light.

I'm really suprised that no one else has made a 3AA Luxeon light with the batteries side by side. It's a rather obvious thing for a manufacturer to do.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

LightScene,

Don't worry, such a flashlight does exist. It's the new unreleased Illuminator III.

il35.jpg

Here it is with it's big old hunking heatsink.

il33.jpg

And here it is with the head in place.

il32.jpg

And of course, the wall side beam profile shot.

il31.jpg

And, here it is next to a 3AA 3W direct drive; can you tell which is which?

I've been busy collecting the required parts, but don't have all of them yet, so this is the only test unit right now. And, the target price for this mod is under $100.00.

Hang in there, this is being worked on....

LightScene

Enlightened
Re: Would someone PLEASE make a 2AA Lux 3 screamer

[ QUOTE ]
nisshin said:
the Blaster Jr. (http://www.elektrolumens.com/).
nisshin

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about a 2AA light, the size and shape of a MiniMag. To me, this form factor is most ideal. Naturally, smaller lights and larger lights have their purposes, but for every day use the 2AA MiniMag form factor is most comfortable in the hand, but is still relatively easy to carry in the pocket, especially if you know you are going to be using it. If you are carrying a light that won't see much use, then you probably want a smaller form factor, and you won't mind spending more for the batteries.

LightScene

Enlightened

Lambda, thanks for previewing this great new light. It must feel good to know you have no competition in this highly desirable category. These lights should enjoy a very long life span before they become "obsolete".

Jarhead

Banned

I made my own 2AA MagLite 1A Luxeon screamer with NiMH batts, and a 96% efficient converter I made also.
It is a beatiful light, and it turns heads whenever I use it. The +1 hour runtime on 1600mAH batteries is great too.
No more paying through the nose for 123 batteries, or a insane upfront cost of LiIon.

*ehm, including the local police* (turns heads...)

It even does a real nice flood, here with against a 2D Mag, both set for flood, with the first lens:

2aasmhaf.jpg

The second lens has color fringe on the edges with flood, and will need a custom head. The 100 ft beamshot has some color on one side due to a miscentered emitter.

maglux.jpg

I enjoy my custom Mag Single AAA Solitare a lot also:
mag_soli.jpg

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
lambda said:
LightScene,

Don't worry, such a flashlight does exist. It's the new unreleased Illuminator III....

il35.jpg

...I've been busy collecting the required parts, but don't have all of them yet, so this is the only test unit right now. And, the target price for this mod is under $100.00.

Hang in there, this is being worked on....

[/ QUOTE ]

All Right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

Lambda, this is outstanding! I'll want a couple.

Britt

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jarhead: good to see you putting to use your superconverter. Is the Lux mounted on a thick heatsink thats pressed tightly into the body of the mag?

LiteFreek

Newly Enlightened

Sigh, Lambda just when I thought I had satisfied my need for another flashlight and you start this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
I guess there's nothing to do now but wait for the line /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif