Multimeter

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
Any recommendations on a decent digital multimeter under $50? I have a Harbor Freight 11 function meter that I have had a few years that quit reading correct voltages. I have a couple old analog Radio Shack meters that work good, but want a digital meter. Prefer one that reads Hz.
Thanks

bigm

Newly Enlightened
I got a nice one at radio shack a few years back for $35. It was cheaper in the store than it was online, and had pretty decent reviews. I think they are around fifty bucks now, maybe a little under. The # is 22-812. It can be linked to a computer for data logging, although I've never tried that yet. It has auto and manual ranging, measures voltage, current to 10A, resistance, temperature (no probe included), frequency in hz, diode test, and a couple other things too, I think. The only reason I would spend more is for true RMS measuring abilities, or if I was in the electronics or electrical trades. A decent clamp meter would be handy for measuring higher current, but not totally necessary. I have a bunch of the cheap HF digital meters, and for the most part, they are pretty close to my Radio Shack meter. They are fine as long as you can check them against a known source or another good meter.

bigm

Newly Enlightened
Regardless of what meter you get next, I highly recommend getting a set of test leads like the one from the shack that comes with an assortment of leads that go on the end of your regular test leads. They have different ends with various clips, pins, and even a magnet. I can't tell you how often those test leads come in handy, along with some home made leads with alligator clips on both ends. In the end, your meter can only be as useful as your ability to hook it up to a circuit.