Which light? tl-3 or pelican m6

makani

Newly Enlightened
i need a good general purpose light, but also bright enough for self defence type useage, what light would be better suited for my needs?

the pelican m6

or
the streamlight tl-3

i have never bought one of these types of lights so i am unfamilliar with lumens and am not sure what is bright enough,

what do you think?...

this would be a edc btw.
and not the led version as well.

scuba

Enlightened
I know that the Tl-3 is supposed to be quite a bit brighter but I'd like to know what people think as well since I'm considering getting one of them.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throwing size and price away the TL-3 (3 123 batts) beats the M-6 (2 123 batts) for general brightness as well as throw. I think I saw the M-6 on sale for around $35...not sure how much the TL-3 is...but I`m sure its more. The M-6 is no dog either.

Ken

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
For EDC, I think a Pelican M6 will be suited better. Its not as bright as the TL-3 (granted 2 X 123 vs 3X123, I have never handled a TL-3 before.) I have seen pictures. the TL-3 will beat the PM6 hands down in throw and output (both incandescent.)

For EDC, I think the PM6 will be the better choice. I have seen pictures of the TL-3 vs a mini mag and the head seems big.

www.flashlightreviews.com known as Quickbeam on this forum made that sight. A really nice sight, you can find a reivew of the PM6 and TL-3 there along with countless other lights.

One of my friends just purchased herself a PM6 through me (she lacks a CC) because she saw my Scorpion but hated the rubber sleeve. She liked the brightness and compact size though.

I had a PM6 in silver at one time and then lost it. I was bummed out for a few days but I got over it and ordered a Surefire E2e shortly there after for EDC. I would not purchase a PM6 again but will get the LED model toted to be very good. I will order a PM6 LEd once the slver ones get in stock at battery station.

www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm has the PM6 for $32.00 and other really nice deals. Hes a great guy to deal with and handles jumpy, energetic, e-mail/phone abusive CPF members well, lol!

Welcome to CPF,
Jason

makani

Newly Enlightened
ok well, what kind of carry options are there so that the flashlight can be grabbed with my "-thumb- on trigger"?

it looks like the pocket clip on the tl-3 is facing the wrong way for this, and the case that the pm6 comes with also has the light upside down.

just curious about what my different options are.

Topper

Flashaholic*
If I was going to shove one in my pocket EDC I vote for the
PM6. I have both and there is no doubt in my mind that the
TL-3 is brighter and throws farther, the PM6 comes with a holster the TL-3 has a IMHO flimsy clip. I carry the TL-3 in a coat pocket as I am the first guy at work at 5:00AM
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The TL3 head is bigger than the PM6 head but the PM6 is not tiny either. If you want small, get an E2e.

Also, these lights are illumination tools. If you want a self defense light, get something like a Surefire Weaponlight, mount it on the bottom of a rifle or handgun the way it's intended, and defend yourself with some well placed rounds if the need arises. If you insist on trying to use a flashlight for self defense without a gun attached to it, get a 6D Mag loaded with nice heavy alkaline batteries so you can clobber the attacker with it. While there are true stories about defenders using flashlights to stun attackers with bright light alone, you have to think of that as desperate improvisation, like using your shoelaces as belay devices to rappel out of a burning building, rather than something to plan around. But if you really want to buy a light for purposes like that, the TL3 is just about minimal, the PM6 is not bright enough, and what you really want is a Surefire M6 with the 500 lumen bulb.

FNG

Enlightened
Since he said General Purpose, im guessing that it wont be EDC. I had the TL-3 but not the PM6 so I dont know about size differences but the TL-3 sure does give some serious light for the size. It fit in my coat pocket and it wasnt too heavy. S4MadMan put it in his review of the superlights and said it was the biggest performer for its size.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=449379

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want a handheld light to use with a gun, you could look at the Streamlight Nightfighter 2, which is basically a TL2 with a grip ring. The TL2 and PM6 have comparable total output, the PM6 having a narrower beam.

paulr

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, general purpose that i would carry everyday,

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the TL3 and PM6 are both too big for normal EDC. Try a Surefire E2e or L4.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, general purpose that i would carry everyday,

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the TL3 and PM6 are both too big for normal EDC. Try a Surefire E2e or L4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if the PM6 is the same size as the PM6 LED?

But, I have no problems carrying my PM6 LED on my belt. Its such a bright light for its size, its my new EDC (with the Arc AAA as backup).

Everyone has different tastes of course, but for me the Pelican M6 LED is a great EDC light.

paulr

Flashaholic
I guess a PM6 is ok to carry on a belt. It's large for carrying in your pocket.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I guess a PM6 is ok to carry on a belt. It's large for carrying in your pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I agree that it is large for the pocket. I didn't realize that pocket carrying was so popular.

I personally don't carry my main light in the pocket due to being worried about the light falling out or being scratched. I feel more secure with a holster setup. My Arc AAA (backup) is clipped to my jacket pocket...I figure with it being clipped their is less likely chance of it falling out--and being stationary less chance of scratches.

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
You cannot really compare the tl3 with the m6. A more direct comparison is the tl2 and m6. Never handled the m6 but have the tl2. Very small and prob only 10% bigger than the e2. Also comes with a spare bulb.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't understand the point of the PM6 LED. It's just a 1 watt. Arc4 seems to beat it in just about every way. A PM6/McModule/X5T is another story of course.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I don't understand the point of the PM6 LED. It's just a 1 watt. Arc4 seems to beat it in just about every way. A PM6/McModule/X5T is another story of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Different owner base. The Arc 4 retails at about $180. The Pelican M6 LED at about $60. IMO, the Pelican M6 LED offers more bang for the buck. While the Arc is better built overall, its price is a big hurdle for some potential buyers. I sure wouldn't carry a $180 flashlight--at that price I'd want to really baby it and would worry about losing it.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
...If you want a self defense light, get something like a Surefire Weaponlight, mount it on the bottom of a rifle or handgun the way it's intended, and defend yourself with some well placed rounds if the need arises...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the vast majority of experienced shooters who use flashlights when shooting in low light don't use weapon mounted lights. They have their place but are by no means the best choice most of the time. For one thing, to illuminate something you have to cover it with your muzzle.

I've used the TL-3 and the PM-6. The margin the TL-3 has over the PM-6 in Lumens and Lux it gives up in ergonomics, balance, weight and the need for that 3rd 123A cell.

Between the two, I would suggest starting with the Pelican M-6. But, I'd recommend the Surefire Z2.

Surefire Z2

Britt

paulr

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:Different owner base. The Arc 4 retails at about $180. The Pelican M6 LED at about $60. IMO, the Pelican M6 LED offers more bang for the buck. While the Arc is better built overall, its price is a big hurdle for some potential buyers. I sure wouldn't carry a $180 flashlight--at that price I'd want to really baby it and would worry about losing it.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Arc4 seconds at $99.95 are pretty nice.