Fenix FD20 - rotating focus

colight

Enlightened
I have a Fenix FD41, and I had the FD30 (my son needed it more than I did. :thinking: Granted, he's a camper...) before that. I like the way it changes focus between spot and flood, although according to some posts here on CPF, some guys are not in favor of that when compared to some other brands. Now I'd like to try this new one, the FD20. I'm not a huge fan of the AA's, but all things considered, it may not be a bad buy. Anybody out there who has one already, and can give some insight from personal use? The tint is not all that important to me. I'm not really a NW guy, so I'd like to know more from the perspective of an edc user. Thanks guys.

colight

Enlightened
Ok, I saw that I may have expected a little too much too soon. It may be a little while before this one may be available in the retailers. :sigh:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix Store has them ready to ship.

This is tempting, but what I really want from Fenix is a 2AAA pen light version. A 1AAA with reversible clip or 1AA would also get my attention.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the FD20 has amazing run times when using NiMH cells. It is much easier to rotate the head on the FD20. My FD41 takes force to rotate the head a bit to much in my opinion. The fully adjusted throw and flood beam profiles are amazing. It is IP68 rated to boot. As for competing adjustable focus lights my 4 Coast HP7's are cheap, has easy push pull focus adjustment you can use with one hand. They may still be using the old XM-L emitters and are direct drive but they work. Fully focused throw is a very impressive 25k+ CD. The flood beam out of the Coast while not as crisp and defined as the FD20 is still very good. The throw beam while also not crisp and well defined has a larger than average hot spot which I like a lot. The Coast is also a tint lottery light. 2 of my 4 HP7's are CW and to my surprise the other 2 are a very good neutral. I use them as around the house lights.

colight

Enlightened
the FD20 has amazing run times when using NiMH cells. It is much easier to rotate the head on the FD20. My FD41 takes force to rotate the head a bit to much in my opinion. The fully adjusted throw and flood beam profiles are amazing. It is IP68 rated to boot. As for competing adjustable focus lights my 4 Coast HP7's are cheap, has easy push pull focus adjustment you can use with one hand. They may still be using the old XM-L emitters and are direct drive but they work. Fully focused throw is a very impressive 25k+ CD. The flood beam out of the Coast while not as crisp and defined as the FD20 is still very good. The throw beam while also not crisp and well defined has a larger than average hot spot which I like a lot. The Coast is also a tint lottery light. 2 of my 4 HP7's are CW and to my surprise the other 2 are a very good neutral. I use them as around the house lights.

I agree with your observation of the FD41, as I have the exact same situation. I had a LEDLenser P7.2 before, and while it was also easy to operate one-handedly, it just wasn't a patch against my FD41 brilliance-wise, hence I gave it away. I may definitely have to start looking at other options somewehere in future. The tint lottery you mention....? I guess that comes with the territory. As much as I like my Fenix lights, I've seen many complaints about the same product model - and this not only from Fenix - with different colored tints, so this happens, I guess.

Personal observation: I still think that, once I buy a product from another manufacturer, I'll be hooked, and I'm trying to avoid that as far as I can! This may end up becoming a VERY expensive hobby, so.........

proceed5

Enlightened
Hi guys,
My FD41, FD40 and FD30, I applied a very tiny small pinch of light lube (example victorinox lube for their multi tool) on the turning parts of the focusing ring and mine are smoother.

As usual I have to eagerly and patiently wait for my fenix lights ... My FD20 is on the way, hope you all can give some insights on this light. How it compares with the FD30, FD41 and FD40.

colight

Enlightened
Hi guys,
My FD41, FD40 and FD30, I applied a very tiny small pinch of light lube (example victorinox lube for their multi tool) on the turning parts of the focusing ring and mine are smoother.

Thanks for this, proceed. I'll definitely try it.

As usual I have to eagerly and patiently wait for my fenix lights ... My FD20 is on the way, hope you all can give some insights on this light. How it compares with the FD30, FD41 and FD40.

+1 on that

proceed5

Enlightened
Good day guys,
My FD20 arrived today.
You see, very rarely do I ever have any interests in acquiring AA-powered lights (save and except for the beautiful Olight S1A's) .
I have hoped for the FD20 to be near as good or even better than Fenix's latest FD41 which is something I liked and the FD30 that I have grown to like a lot.
Well, with the higher expectation, I bought and eagerly waited for my FD20.

You know what, I am going to say this, my initial impressions are :
1) The stock FD20 is a rolling queen. i.e. the body rolls non-stop (no anti-rolling features on body) no clip included.
2) The stock holster is a disappointment as compared with the new-style holsters included with other newer Fenixlights
3) The Full Flood position's beam has slight yellow center tint AND the yellow center tint is [?? what ??] Square ?? :green: (not certain if my unit has a sub-par XP-G2 S3 LED) . Hope someone else could verify this irregularity ...

Good side:
4) The Full Throw zoom-out position has nice tight center spot with useable spill. Beam is nice for its intended range. However, the White emitter is really 6700 kelvin kind of white, with traces of yellow on the outer
5) high build quality
6) good runtimes for AA alkaline batteries that came with it
7) lightly lubed focus ring makes smoother rotations (you would need to apply force to turn the focus ring for the first few times)

In overall . . . I I think I would have to spend a lot of time getting used to this light . . . may the force be with me . LOL

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
3) The Full Flood position's beam has slight yellow center tint AND the yellow center tint is [?? what ??] Square ?? :green: (not certain if my unit has a sub-par XP-G2 S3 LED) . Hope someone else could verify this irregularity ...
I have a few cheap ebay (Chinese) zoom lights that exhibit this same behavior when in max flood mode I think it is just the nature of using such optical setups.

proceed5

Enlightened
I have a few cheap ebay (Chinese) zoom lights that exhibit this same behavior when in max flood mode I think it is just the nature of using such optical setups.
Aha, it sure feels odd on a Fenixlight ... Thanks Lynx_Arc for sharing .

proceed5

Enlightened
I refer to my posting at 10:46 above.
Immediately after the above posting, I went out for a 40-min walk in suburban forested area to try out my FD20,
here are my impressions after the maiden usage:

Setup:
I had in one hand my FD30 and the other my FD20.
On my FD30 I set brightness to level 4 High 350 lumen and FD20 set at level 4 Turbo 350 lumen. Fixed both lights at Full Throw.
How does my FD20 compare to my FD30:
1) FD20 matches the FD30 in brightness
2) center hotspot intensity = wow, both similar
3) Spill = wow, spills from both lights are similar and very useable
4) Range = another wow, FD20's claimed 115 meters throw is quite true (off course dimly lit down range)
After the maiden usage, I have to admit and say, I AM Impressed with the FD20 for it being only powered by 2x AA batteries.
Fenix only claimed 350 lumen max, but it seems brighter.

As an end-user, my feedback to Fenix for the FD20:
a) Neutral white LED
b) Clip (like that found on the LD22-2015)

my personal preference among my FD-series lights are (FD40, FD41, FD30 and FD20):
a) FD40 = for its 26650 long runtimes (but limited by the outdated timer program) and for the FD40's IMO very smooth very wide angle Full Flood at max output.
b) FD41 = I really liked my FD41's Full Throw at max output and for it having Temperature control I almost always use this light at max level.
c) FD30 = I have grown to really like my FD30's more neutral tint, for its versatility and handy to carry around as a flood light with ability to zoom.
d) FD20 = ok, this one seems to be duplicating my FD30's role. FD20's Full Flood is not as clean or as smooth. This light would make a good back-up AA-alkaline/1.5v lithium light.

What I would like to see Fenix make in the near future:
(i) Focus ring IP68-rated and temperature controlled Headlamp series
(ii) Focus ring IP68-rated and temperature controlled high-lumen series that has a zoom range from General purpose (TK47UE) lighting to Throw (TK47)
Wow I dream a bit too far. But hey Fenix, don't fall a sleep .

Last edited:

colight

Enlightened
Proceed, thanks for this feedback and comparison of the two lights. I am now mostly using my FD41, and it's giving me hours of happiness. About the headlamp - well, we may dream.......! :grin2:

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened

Verified. Mine is also square, but it's more of a blurry and not a sharply defined square. I probably wouldn't notice it in normal use when I'm not shining straight at the wall.

One thing that surprised me with the zoom was how big the spill beam was at either end of the focus. When in full flood position I had a nice, bright, even beam. At full throw position, it focused to a bright, tight hotspot, but I still had a bright, even spill beam, just a little smaller than the beam at full flood. I didn't expect to have that bright hotspot and bright spill beam together at that one focus setting. Maybe I'm just used to my Maglites when I get that tight hotspot surrounded by darkness.

I like the full flood setting, and it's easier on the eyes by not having the bright hotspot. Low setting is plenty bright for indoor use. The full flood should be ideal for outside walks as well. I'll play more with it tonight.

proceed5

Enlightened
Verified. Mine is also square, but it's more of a blurry and not a sharply defined square. I probably wouldn't notice it in normal use when I'm not shining straight at the wall.

Agreed, the "square" is not noticeable in actual usage outdoors.

I have been using this light for the pass week and again I must say I am impressed with it.
I am starting to enjoy AA-sized lights.

Hope you will share more feedbacks after you have used your FD20 more.

colight

Enlightened
In case you guys are interested or have not yet noticed, I saw that Fenix is having a live streaming on Facebook tomorrow about this FD20, and the FD30. Could be interesting watching....