Surefire L2

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the hi/lo output controlled by the two stage tailswitch? And the bezel is just a plain KL4?

SF L2

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think that's a KL4 bezel. The way I heard it, the L2 has a Luxeon III, not a 5 watt.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux III would be cool.

Is it just me or does there seem to be a trend towards Lux II (3w?) and away from the 5w?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha! They're catching on to all those KL4 1W and 3W "downgrade" mods. Glad to see it happen. And that 2-stage dimmer, they need to make the dim mode regulated and not dump all that current into a resistor like the L1 and A2 does.

As far as trends, I think it's more away from the 1W and more towards the 3W. Hopefully, Lumiled's will figure out how to fix the "portable" 5W so that they can rate them for more than 500-1000 hours.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
And that 2-stage dimmer, they need to make the dim mode regulated and not dump all that current into a resistor like the L1 and A2 does.

[/ QUOTE ] Huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be about the same size as, and possibly dim like the A2 does. In other words, the L2 "may" dim through a resistor instead of just being regulated at the lower light output level.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lifespan on the LxIII is the same as the 1W, but I would expect them to be more consistent since they take a little more abuse.

Up to 100,000 hours.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
The L2 is a 5w with rated output (2004 SF catalog) of 15 and 65 lumens. The U2 is shown at 2 to 100 lumens in the catalog. I am not certain that the catalog specs will mirror the final product's output but certaily will serve as a bench mark, I would think. To my knowledge, the only use of a Lux III LED by SF in their unveiled and catalogued lights for 2004 is the X200. Whether this holds true for the full year is open to speculation and hopefully some good, unfounded rumors! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Kiessling

Flashaholic
but the L1 has the electronics in the tail, doesn't it? should be a dumb KL4 then ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at how much I like my L1, I can't wait for the L2. Somehow I have this feeling we will not know the specs for sure until they are release. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Oh well, I still want one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Mike

Reno

Enlightened
Am I the only one who thinks the L2 looks ridiculous? It looks like an L4 subjected to 'the rack!' If I EDC it in a pouch, everyone will think an Asp is in there!

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, the overall look is a little stretched out. I like the concept tho, basically a 2 stage L4. I think ill skip over it and go right for the U2 tho...