Fenix Outfitters        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My toddler dropped Fenix E05 into heater

Default My toddler dropped Fenix E05 into heater

Not sure where to post this, seems a bit too ridiculous for the general flashllight discussion and not quite right for the battery section.

My 2 y/o loves my lights and dropped a Fenix E05 SS, turned on, into this wall-steam radiator. Luckily it's summer, but is this a safety issue?

I can't retrieve it without calling an HVAC person, as it would require taking the unit apart. I removed the grill and no luck.

I take it the eneloop 1xAAA NiMH will drain until the light shuts off, but if I leave it in there and the heat goes on next winter, is this a fire/explosion hazard?

Default Re: My toddler dropped Fenix E05 into heater

Telescoping magnet

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Telescoping magnet
    Thanks hadnt thought of that, I'll order one.

I'm not sure a straight rod will reach, because the vent hole arcs into the wall.

I'll try to gerrry-rig it on a string.

First world problems I guess.
    Last edited by joelbnyc; 04-27-2017 at 09:03 PM.

+

Unless you get a special magnet, from like Chernobyl, I doubt it'll pick Aluminum.

MacGyver something w/ super sticky double sided tape maybe, needle nose pliers & a stick of gum*

* kidding on the gum

Default My toddler dropped Fenix E05 into heater

Removed
    Last edited by Stoneking; 04-28-2017 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Duplicate Comment
    4500k XPL RD BOSS • 4000k 219C BOSS Ti • 2700k HDS Rotary

If the magnet is strong enough it should grab the battery through the aluminum. Magnet on a string to get it in front of the grate. Needle nose plier to fish it out.

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

There are flexible "claw" devices sold at most auto parts stores for less than $10. The flexible shaft gets close to the light, open claw, advance, close claw.pull the light out. You can buy a flexible camera to guid you if needed(less than $20 from China, Harbor Freight sells them too, more expensive though). Or, call and ask an HVAC tech-if they say it is not a hazard, buy a new Fenix....perhaps with a chain on it....

Its the Stainless Steel Fenix E05, so a magnet should pick it up. I ordered this from Amazon, it picks up my Thrunite Ti SS just fine, but its too big (and straight) to fit down the arching vent: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RB3XBA/

On the upside, its a nice tool for $5, and my toddler is currently enjoying using it to pick up screws.

Thinking I'll just look for a similar strong magnet that I can tie a string or fishing line, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Tools-St...dp/B003DKLK62/
    Last edited by joelbnyc; 04-29-2017 at 02:50 PM.

I'm a plumbing hvac tech and I don't see any way that I would be able to fix it beside the aforementioned suggestions.

I would move immediately.

Seriously, this is a great excuse to buy a light to use to find the dropped one!
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

I am sorry, but why don't you use a sucking power of a vacuum cleaner? Take off the nozzle, run it full power. If the heater channel is narrow enough you will find your light in the garbage of the vacuum cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Telescoping magnet
    The body of the heater looks magnetic to me. A magnet will stick to the heater

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    The body of the heater looks magnetic to me. A magnet will stick to the heater
    I think it L@@Ks ferrous. I don't think anyone makes a magnetic heater.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    I think it L@@Ks ferrous. I don't think anyone makes a magnetic heater.

~ Chance
    Sorry, wrong word
    Last edited by vadimax; 05-01-2017 at 06:23 AM.

I make joke.

~ CG
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Flashaholic*

You can use a Borescope Inspection Camera with a magnet.

You could try using a piece of house wire tied to a magnet that way you can bend it to navigate around obstacles. A vacuum cleaner may work if you used a smaller diameter flexible hose attached to it. Beware you may need to leave a small hole where the smaller hose attaches so as to not put a huge strain on the motor if left running a long time.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Hehe @ magnet heater.

Yeah so I took the magnet off the telescoping magnet thing, drilled a hole through the piece of alum rod left, and put some line through, but yes, the magnet just stuck to the heater, couldn't drop it down the vent.

Tried a broken off clothes hanger wire, just got stuck.

I definitely used some other flashlights to try to remove the lost flashlight. No luck tho. I'll try a vacuum but the thing isn't reallyt airtight, I can see part of the missing light through the seems.

Quote Originally Posted by joelbnyc View Post
    Hehe @ magnet heater.

Yeah so I took the magnet off the telescoping magnet thing, drilled a hole through the piece of alum rod left, and put some line through, but yes, the magnet just stuck to the heater, couldn't drop it down the vent.

Tried a broken off clothes hanger wire, just got stuck.

I definitely used some other flashlights to try to remove the lost flashlight. No luck tho. I'll try a vacuum but the thing isn't reallyt airtight, I can see part of the missing light through the seems.
    If it isn't airtight you may need to find a hose a little larger than the light itself and hopefully suck the light into it with a vacuum enough to get it out of there. One other alternative which could possibly work is stick a magnet inside a hose with a string on it so you can lower it to the light and use the hose to keep it from sticking to the radiator.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    If it isn't airtight you may need to find a hose a little larger than the light itself and hopefully suck the light into it with a vacuum enough to get it out of there. One other alternative which could possibly work is stick a magnet inside a hose with a string on it so you can lower it to the light and use the hose to keep it from sticking to the radiator.
    That is a brilliant idea!

Man! I wish I'd have thought of it. Forget the string, though. Just use a long enough piece of hose to reach the light. It should be easier to maneuver.

~ Chance

Flashaholic*

Then use the clothes hanger wire with bubble gum at the tip.

I can see part of the missing light through the seems.

Quote Originally Posted by glockboy View Post
    Then use the clothes hanger wire with bubble gum at the tip.
    Clothes hanger just gets stuck. Shark Vacuum was a fail.

Hose-magnet is an interesting idea, and I see some sort of clasping snakes on Amazon, but I'm not spending $30 to retrieve a $30 light unless the NiMH eneloop is a fire hazard back there.

Annoyingly, if she had put it down one of the lower two tubes, I could easily retrieve it from the bottom grill which is removable, but the upper two tubes have an iron plate at the bottom.

Green arrow is the tube it's stuck down, red arrow is the seam thru which I can see the split ring

At least there's a chance to retrieve it. My kid threw mine in the garbage. I found out the next day after the garbage was picked up
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Clothes hanger just gets stuck. Shark Vacuum was a fail.

Hose-magnet is an interesting idea, and I see some sort of clasping snakes on Amazon, but I'm not spending $30 to retrieve a $30 light unless the NiMH eneloop is a fire hazard back there.

Annoyingly, if she had put it down one of the lower two tubes, I could easily retrieve it from the bottom grill which is removable, but the upper two tubes have an iron plate at the bottom.

Green arrow is the tube it's stuck down, red arrow is the seam thru which I can see the split ring
    Wait... It has a split ring attached? Why not taking a metal wire, make a hook on its tip and "fish out" the light?

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    Wait... It has a split ring attached? Why not taking a metal wire, make a hook on its tip and "fish out" the light?
    Tried with a clothes hanger wire, just gets stuck. It's a very thin vent tube, unfortunately.

Anyone know whether common operating temperatures of a steam radiator could cause a drained NiMH cell to explode?

Flashaholic*

You can use "picture frame hanging wire" or "14-Gauge Galvanized Steel Wire" at home depot" they thinner than clothes hanger wire.

Ow, clever kid seems your kid love and enjoy watching you fishing your Fenix.
    PowerUP

Flashaholic

Not sure if you resolved yet. I did HVAC for 20+ years, but had to stop due to surgeries to knee and shoulder. Just dont call an hvac company in hopes of retreiving it cause you will waste far more money on the service call, and these cast iron radiators do not come apart, unless its removed from the wall and then subsequently destroyed with heavy tools. so it would have to be removed from the wall and turned upside down until your light fell out, not a cheap service call. would take 2-3 hours, with system drained and refilled. and thats only if there are plumbing unions attached to the pipes, and even then it may still not come out due to old age/rust, so it it mught need to be cut out and repiped, all this very costly for a $20 light

as far as it being dangerous, hard to say, I dont know what happens to an eneloop under heat. that looks like it could be attached to hot water boiler or a steam boiler, I'm not sure cause it has 2 different vents, so it may have been converted to steam at some point in the past, which would be hotter temperatures than a hot water boiler. keep trying to fish it out, maybe pick up an inspection mirror to guide you.
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 05-30-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Can a hole be safely drilled near the flashlight? I'm picturing a hole saw so you can just grab the light.

Remove the cleaning grate at the bottom of the heat register. It might stick a little due to have been painted over, but that part on the bottom should come off.

Get a length of coat hanger and poke around until you can knock the light the rest of the way down.

Retrieve light from floor, replace cleaning grate.
    Try the largest, fastest, most flexible flashlight search engine: parametrek.com
    41 brands, 2124 models and still growing!
    NEW: battery search, sleeping pads search

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast