Fenix FD30 focusing ring : overview and first thoughts

Ti²C

Newly Enlightened
Fenix offered me to review this FD30, this is a 18650 EDC flashlight in the line of the PD32 and PD35 but with a variable beam system, and 900 lumens for 2hrs.

1Pf0cq0.jpg

Unboxing:

0OJMo61.jpg

The bundle includes the lamp, a nylon pouch, an o'ring and a spare cap, a strap, multi language notice, warranty card and a some advertising...

As usual, I'm going to complain about this, but the competition sometimes offers two disposable cr123 batteries and a convenient plastic sleeve for storing them and avoid rattle in the lamp ... it would be nice if Fenix ​​put it there
icon_wink.gif

bsdgMv8.jpg

FAGlbYY.jpg

pihNMt1.jpg

The case is basic, with a weak belt loop that will not last long in case of intensive use,

IsFO5O6.jpg

qYJTv1M.jpg

The tailcap boot is easily replaceable (albeit i never had to swap one due to wear, it's always nice to have one spare...)

m7fnolF.jpg

Threads (trapezoidal) are clean and well greased, the clip is removable but it will require a little force to do so.

1Mhko1R.jpg

With a spring on each side the movements of the battery are damped, which reduces the probability for bad contacts in case of shocks.

nRMpuLx.jpg

I measured about 5.11 Oz with an 18650

f4dshVc.jpg

The lamp can also be powered with two disposable CR123 batteries

0BDCool.jpg

The workmanship is excellent: precise knurling and homogenous ano.

9A8xw9E.jpg

T7rcv5P.jpg

In hands :

Unlike the FD41 that I reviewed here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...D41-focusing-ring-overview-and-first-thoughts

The technical solution chosen here for the "zoom" is a dual sliding reflector:

7WARCFM.gif

N2VRFwQ.jpg

As you can see on the Fenix ​​sketch, they did not just add a concave lens as on certain low cost productions (the additional cost is about 15 $ compared to a PD32, it remains very reasonable considering Of the number of pieces making up the sliding head)

The lens is made of glass and AR coated, it will withstand much better the daily hassle than a plastic lens, on the other hand it is relatively exposed and in case of fall the risk of breakage is real

09tiPX6.jpg

QFsww49.jpg

The smooth reflectors and the xp-l HI LED:
Usualy the smooth reflector improves the range at the expense of the beam quality (donut, rings, artefacts)

OAZBD9r.jpg

By pointing a white wall, the resulst is not perfect but it remains acceptable in relation to the technical solution used:

By moving back a little it's already much better ...

The beam with tightened head (flood mode) is very comfortable to work closely, with no hot spot.

Fenix ​​announces a 7 ° spot and a beam width of 76 °
The beam width actually increases a bit but is less obvious than with the FD41,

Unlike a convex lens lamp that totally eliminates the spill in "throw" mode, here it is always present as if using a conventional reflector flashlight.

Moreover, if we compare the figures announced by Fenix, the theoretical throw of this FD30 is lower than that of PD32 2016

FD30: max intensity 10 000cd / 200m throw
PD32 2016: max 14 400cd / 240m throw

Between the min/max position the beam is a little less clean, a small donut in the center and some artefacts around the beam.

As on the FD41, the sliding mechanism is very firm when unpacking but softens little by little,
there is no risk of having the beam setting accidentaly modified in the pocket.

BFxfqsL.gif

JTca8HH.jpg

Switching on / off (with momentary) is done by tailcap, mode selection is done by this side button
But in the dark you may find it hard to locate it !

-the lamp keeps the last mode used in memory
-the 5 modes are scrolled by successive pressing from the min to the max
-the strobe is hidden (long press)

this mode setting, and user interface is a proven solution, ideal for a lender.

Unlike the FD41, and it's a nice improvement : the 900 lumens mode is no longer conditioned to a timer but to a temperature management : at 65 °C (or 149°F the lamp goes back to high mode, you can revert to the turbo mode by a simple press of the mode button.

The regulation is of the "step" type: the lamp goes down one level each time the battery starts to run out of juice, and will flash every 5 mins in the lowest mode when the battery is flat: excellent !

lzCZl1v.jpg

The tailcap does not allow to stand in candle mode.

some vids outside :

Short-term notice:

This is an additional choice in the "zoomies" range from Fenix, this time in EDC format and for a moderate additional cost.
I honestly struggled a bit to appreciate the relevance of this feature, but we ain't all flashaholics owning a dedicated lamp for each possible scenario :)

It is apparently always sought after and appreciated by those who want only one flashlight for everything, perhaps it would be appropriate then to continue this approach and also propose the integrated charging ?

In any case I now have options to offer when I'm asked for advice for zoomie...

I particularly appreciated :

-beam quality (min and max positions )
-the step regulation, without timer
-the simple UI

I do not really like it :

-the basic sheath
-the lack of included primaries
-the tight focusing ring
-The beam intermediate focus not so so
-the "hard to locate in the dark" mode button

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review. Gives a great idea of the beam pattern at all degrees of focus.

proceed5

Enlightened
Finally a review of the FD30.
Thanks Ti2C for the great review and videos.

I have grown to like this FD30 quite a bit, especially handy to be used primarily as a flood light which this light really excels and its focusing ring provides the user the ability to zoom out when needed despite its limited throw range.
I would have wished for Fenix to have produced their FD30 with higher lumens