Thrunite Neutron 2C (new release - ramping UI)

parametrek

Enlightened
I'm really excited to see the Neutron line come back. They've always been some of Thrunite's most interesting products. Here is hoping for a compact AA/14500 version before too long :)

For a little blast from the past, the old Neutron 2C had a max output of 455 lumens for 90 minutes and a 0.09 lumen firefly that ran for 27 days. Between all the driver, LED and battery improvements over the past five years the new firefly mode is ten times better!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting. So long press the side switch to ramp up okay..I am unfamiliar with this method of variable output UI. Is it just a long press for ramping up? Can you ramp down or do you always have to go through max output for it to start over at its lowest output etc?

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Single press to activate at the last level.
Press and hold to ramp up from there.
Press and hold again and it changes direction.
It blinks at high and low to let you know you've reached the top/bottom.
It will retain the level.
The ramping both ways is brilliant. At least on my TH20.

bugblatter

Newly Enlightened
Turbo for two hours? Wow.

I wonder how they spec these things, especially since Turbo (Thrunite) seems usually unregulated. On my TN12-2016-NW (Turbo: 1050 lm/95 min), the brightness continually ramps down until Turbo looks the same as High (370 lm), the next highest level, at around 90 minutes, so I guess the spec can be rationalized. After 2 hours, what will this look like? I guess it could be 650 lm, since that is the high end of Infinity mode. Even so, that would seem so much more efficient than the TN12 to me.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
How to do the ANSI math for what the max output is at 2.2 hours has slipped my mind for the moment it is pretty late here but this light from what I can tell on the TN site has regular timed step down regulation. If it was thermally regulated one would think they would advertise that in the specs as that is a big selling point. TN ANSI tests and rates their lights accordingly. If it was thermally regulated that would change things a good bit but even if it is thermally regulated I highly doubt it will still be pushing 1100 lumens at 2.2 hours. I am sure more will chime in. Looks to be another winner from TN though...

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
The ramping both ways is brilliant. At least on my TH20.

I also love the TH20's ramping option, but I much prefer the dial ramping on the Icon Irix headlamps since it enables quicker and a more intuitive way (don't have to guess if you'll be ramping up or down) to get to the desired output.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
How to do the ANSI math for what the max output is at 2.2 hours has slipped my mind for the moment it is pretty late here but this light from what I can tell on the TN site has regular timed step down regulation. If it was thermally regulated one would think they would advertise that in the specs as that is a big selling point. TN ANSI tests and rates their lights accordingly. If it was thermally regulated that would change things a good bit but even if it is thermally regulated I highly doubt it will still be pushing 1100 lumens at 2.2 hours. I am sure more will chime in. Looks to be another winner from TN though...

Given the lax requirements of the ANSI test, I'm surprised makers don't boast even longer runtimes.
1000 lumens for the first 40 seconds, good enough to meet the requirements, then drop down to 120 lumens immediately.

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somebody received one? Iam planning to get one but don't know how the beam profile would be.

With the same head diameter and emitter as the TN12, I would expect the same beam profile, unless they significantly changed the reflector shape for some reason. That means a relatively large hotspot with a fairly smooth transition to a wide flood, but a bit of extra green in the hotspot, as is typical with the XP-L emitter.

There's a German flashlight forum where a member has an amazing collection of beamshots to compare, all taken in the same conditions. Here:
http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/über-1-000-beamshots-mit-lampenbildern.27575/

This one is for the latest version of the TN12:
http://abload.de/img/p1130319yqsjs.jpg