Luna 7 light

MY

Enlightened
I just wanted to get people's impression of a new light that I just received, the Luna 7. Does anyone have this light?

This is a light that I "won" on ebay for about $50. It is made by whiteleds.com and retails for $80. It is a 7 led (with tiny reflectors around each led) conversion that is housed in a Rayovac Industrial 2D Swivel-Lite. The literature on the whiteleds site stated that it has a sophisticated step-up regulator that allows three different power settings. I was pretty excited and made sure that I would win the bid.

Well, I just got the light today and my bubble was burst. The light only has a switch for on and off. To change the power setting, you have to physically take out the led light unit from the flashlight body by grasping the leds themselves. Next you have to go under the curcuit board and manually set a jumper across a combination of four leads to get one of the three current settings (and light output levels). I cannot fathom a more difficult procedure to adjust power in a light.

The light probably cannot withstand disassembly to switch jumpers many times without breaking something.

In addition, the light output is very disappointing, especially for 7 leds being driven by a sophisticated curcuit. My Eternalight is much brighter. The 1 page xeroxed instruction manual stated that in the high output mode, it is drawing 200ma through the 7 leds and will last for about 20 hours.

I caution any led lover who is tempted by this unit on ebay (I saw more for auction) or from the whiteled website. I think that for $50, one can do much much better.

Craig, Brock or Chris, do you have experience with this unit?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the warning, I have been tempted to bid on this light before but did not as my wallet is still in pain from some other purchases. Thanks for saving me from wasting my money
wink.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
I got an email from someone who was also disappointed in the light. They told me to not bother getting one, and to tell everyone on my site not to get them. I can't say myself since I have never seen it, but after what I heard I don't think I will get one. I can't condemn a light unless I have seen it in person, and there are very few I really don't like.

Now I am tempet to get one just to see.

Brock

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MY:
I just wanted to get people's impression of a new light that I just received, the Luna 7. Does anyone have this light?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I've never heard of this flashlight, let alone seen or tried one.
Your description of how to adjust the LED power makes it sound like a pain in the *** to use, and yes, it probably would begin to behave erratically or fail completely after repeated "adjustments"... the most likely failure mechanism would seem to be breakage of whatever wire or connector is used to affix it to the inside of the flashlight body.

I've only given one flashlight a negative score (-2) on my site, and this one might just be a contender for the next.
mad.gif

Doug

Enlightened
Craig,

Which light got the -2 score? I just looked, and didn't see it...

Doug

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
Craig,

Which light got the -2 score? I just looked, and didn't see it...

Doug
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was the Turbospyder.
Didn't you see the two burnt, smoking LEDs?
grin.gif

MY

Enlightened
Brock, your wish is my command. I will send you my brand new Luna 7, complete with two brand new generic D cells for the price of $49. This is the price that I paid. I will even throw in the shipping.

Now lets see how baddly you really want to see this gem.
grin.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
My, why don`t you return it, just explain you are not happy with the brightness...maybe call first to set up the return...maybe try the new 6 led light from LRI or the lightwave 4000.

Scott@Tektite

Newly Enlightened
MY- Sorry to hear about the problem.

I'll swap you for an EXPEDITION 300, 7 LED light (new), if you want. (Note to all: I only need ONE, thanks) I like to see what the competition is doing, I'll add it to my collection. Let me know.

cool.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
I was tempted a bit but my bank account has a combined DB18 and 9Z shaped hole in that`s going to take a while to fill again. I won`t be getting one going by what`s said here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your bank account?!?
Mine has a big outline of a DB18 and a photometer sensor in it.
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

I won't be biting that hook (or any other) for a good long while now.
Might be mid-September before I can splurge like that again.
mad.gif

Depending on who's manufacturing it, I may be able to get an evaluation unit though... we'll see.
I'm batting around .330 so far.
grin.gif

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
Scott@Tektite

That was one heck of a fine gesture....

Guess I see an expedition in my future too...

Gotta move first though....hmmmm my birthday is in July.

Doug

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:

It was the Turbospyder.
Didn't you see the two burnt, smoking LEDs?
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh duh! I was looking for a something else, I looked at the page that shows all the lights listed, hard to tell which ones are busted LEDs
smile.gif
... Got ya...

Doug

Doug

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott@Tektite:
MY- Sorry to hear about the problem.

I'll swap you for an EXPEDITION 300, 7 LED light (new), if you want. (Note to all: I only need ONE, thanks) I like to see what the competition is doing, I'll add it to my collection. Let me know.

cool.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott,

Are you really from Tek-Tite?

Doug

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Umm, Doug, before Scott answers that himself, I gotta say something.

In an excess of light craziness, I e-mailed him with a whole catalogue of vague//detailed questions. He was nonetheless good enough to react with a decent response. Thanks, Scott@Tektite, really nice of you. (And I won't do it again !).

BTW Scott, I have some extremely useless cheap lights, so bad that they really should be in a museum – you can have them for free + postage included !
smile.gif

Lite-Lover
blush.gif
blush.gif
rolleyes.gif
smile.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nope. I`ve seen them though- even went to their web site for a brief look but left without finding an email link to them. I was tempted a bit but my bank account has a combined DB18 and 9Z shaped hole in that`s going to take a while to fill again. I won`t be getting one going by what`s said here.

MY- do you have a LEDtronics white 6-led FlashLED? If so how bright is it in comparison? That`s currently the only multiple-LED light I have besides the DB18.

confused.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this thread is old, but no one posted the web site, and I think I found it.

Since this thread was in April of this year, I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with this light or just the "bulb" replacement.
http://www.white-leds.com/

I was espically interested in putting this replacement bulb in a 3D maglite

I could see how someone could get excited about this!