oldie but a goodie arc aaa LED swap

Gt390

Newly Enlightened
​This will be an on going thread for a little bit but I thought it might generate some interest. Due to the deal of the year from this_is_nascar I find I have a good supply of arc aaa heads and bodies. One being the older model as it was noticeably dimmer and looked different when looking at it head on. I decided to take the plunge with it and try to remove the LED.

[]
View from the back

arc%20head%20press.jpg
[/URL]
Made a base for the press to hold it. All it took after that was a little heat from an automotive style heat gun and this was the result:

arc%20pill.jpg
[/URL]

A nice blob of epoxy :( Now for the heat and a lot of patience with a dental pick.
arc%20pill%20clean.jpg
[/URL]

Gave it a quick test and every thing still works. So now I need a new LED. one of the Yuji high CRI ones is the plan if I can get one.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
....So now I need a new LED. one of the Yuji high CRI ones is the plan if I can get one.

There is a group buy, here ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?430397-Yuji-high-cri-5mm-LEDS-group-buy

I'm not sure if this has closed to new sign-ups, but if so, I have already ordered ten and you are welcome to one of mine for free.

If needed, and if you are willing to cover shipping costs, just PM me to arrange shipping details so that it can be sent direct to you from ma_tumba

Cheers !

Gt390

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much, I have pm'ed matumba about getting in on the group buy but have not heard back yet. I will try posting on the thread as well. If no luck I will take your offer gladly.

Gt390

Newly Enlightened
xfVFeK9.jpg

A little late with an update but here is the arc with the Yuji LED swap complete. Shown is the Yuji on the left, a snow led arc in the middle, and a standard arc GS on the right. The color is a good approximation although not entirely accurate.
I am very happy with it and may do another now that I have the hang of it.

Gt390

Newly Enlightened
No Derek ,but I will and I'll post the results. Hopefully it will be about 7-9 hours.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job Gt390. 1xAAA is a great format to stick these Yuji's in.

Gt390

Newly Enlightened
Thanks lucky, I used it for a couple hours last night outside. No real runtime test yet. Life keeps getting in the way :(
But the arc or any aaa does seem like an almost ideal format.