Planting as Seed: I Gave My Cousin a Flashlight for his First Birthday

ericjohn

Enlightened
So almost a year ago, my first cousin gave birth to a little boy. That means, in a few days, he will be making one years old.

Back up to approimately one year and nine months ago, my cousin found out she was pregnant for the first time.

I was at my paternal grandparents' (her maternal grandparents' as well) when the news was given to me. This is also their first great grandchild! My cousin and her husband were married on their 69th wedding anniversary and my paternal grandparents will celebrate seventy one years of marriage on June the 12th of 2017.

This was certainly wonderful news to me!

The first question i had asked my cousin was if she would allow me to give her kid a flashlights (and even multiple flashlights) as gifts.

She told me I may, and that made me even more happy.

The reason why I even thought to ask was because my wife's sister gave birth to a child in September 2012 and I was forbidden from showing that child a flashlight, much less giving her one. Of course my sister in law can be quite a cruel and nutty person when she wants to be.

Other parents are perfectly fine with me showing and giving their children flashlights, so I have no idea what her objection was.

Let's get back on track, shall we.

There are many children that are in my life, but this little boy is the only one that is actually related to me by blood. The term blood is thicker than water is definitely true in this situation.

My other cousin gave birth to a little girl this past February and, God willing, I will be giving that child probably an Energizer Disney flashlight of some sort next year.

Granted I do have some nephews by marriage whom I love like sons to me and I try to grow their interest in flashlights with varying degrees of success.

But these two children are my actual flesh and blood.

Now, let's back up to Christmas of 1988, my Aunt and her husband gave me my first flashlight and had greatly enforced my interested in portable lighting instruments. It was a 2 C Cell Playskool Lantern. In May of 1991, my aunt gave birth to my cousin, who is the mother to the little boy this piece is about.

Initially, I wanted to search on eBay for a NOS Playskool Lantern and retrofit it with an LED PR module.

However, a few months ago I was shopping at Wal Mart and saw an Energizer LED flashlight that would be perfect for a young child. It's black, made mostly of (I guess) ABS and steel, runs on 2 AA batteries and gives off 50 Lumens in a single mode. The feature makes it perfect for a young child is that it turns on when held in a hand and automatically shuts off when let go of. Placing your hand on both of the steel plates activates the light and the circuit is opened when the light is let go of. This feature reminded me of my PlaySkool 2C Lantern that one had to hold a button under the handle in order for it to stay on and would shut off when let go of. I knew right away that this was a better idea because it required less maintenance, ran on cheaper batteries and I could purchase one easily at my local Wal Mart instead of hoping and praying that a NOS Playskool Flashlight would somehow appear on ebay.

I wish I would have written down the model number of this light because I don't see it anywhere online, including Energizer's website. I've only seen it sold at Wal Mart and Target.

I look at is as returning the favor since this child's grandparents gave me my first flashlight. Also this child's maternal grandpa is very good working with his hands and building and fixing things. I've mentioned him a few times before on here (Candle Power Forums), like the time I was playing in my back yard after dusk and he was coming in from working in this shipyards and walking to his barn when I shone my Eveready IN-215 at him and he acknowleged by shining a much more powerful 6 volt lantern back at me.

I hope I've planted a seed which will make this little boy have an interest in flashlights for a lifetime. Only time will tell, however...

Krumbbs1976

Newly Enlightened
That is a very cool story.. I thought about giving my nephew a nice flashlight but knowing him he would take it to school and blind some other kid for about 15 minutes then all the sudden flashlights wouldn't be allowed in school anymore :-(

Latest posts