Electro Lumens is no more

jdboy

Enlightened
Well I went to visit Wayne's page today to find that he is no longer building lights. His EDC-XML was one of my first "nicer" lights and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I hope all is well for Wayne and also hope all his future endeavors are prosperous.

I "heard" Wayne is now designing tanks for the military. :p

My first custom was also purchased from Wayne. The only reason I sold it was because the buyer was/is such a great member of CPF. Batman! Always helping members and passing on lights at great prices. Batman!

~ Chance

Last edited:

sgt253

Enlightened
That's unfortunate to hear. I too have had some of Wayne's lights over the years (Tri-Star Phaser, Blaster Jr.). I wish him the best of luck.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought his "Blaster 3P" a number of years ago. The textured machining on the body is amazing. Still a useful emergency light.

tygger

Enlightened
Oh yeah, the Blaster 3P was awesome. Gave that one away but still have my military Anglehead 1W. Wayne's a great guy.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I really like Wayne. His lights turned me more onto LED's. He has built many over built LED flashlights. I had several conversations with him. Digging around I found some of his Blasters, and was contemplating contacting him fpr some up grades for them.

Bill

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
He should have made some 18650 like 1x 2x 3x 4x battery type configuration in the D size body in the 10,000 lumens and up territory, they seems popular these days.

Symmetry

Newly Enlightened
I actually rejoined the forum to ask him about upgrading my old Firesword V, sad to see he's closed up shop. That's been my EDC for a couple of years, strapped to the molle patch on the side of a maxpedition bag.

Anyone ever swap the emitters in a Firesword for something more modern? I haven't even got as far as really figuring out the specs and circuit on it as-built, would love to take advantage​ of someone else's learning and pain.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sad to hear,
I swapped emitters in my blaster 3p
Man it's bright. Always beside my bed , every nite. Bright and heavy.
Got a blaster JR , EDC quad die sits in my toolbox , because it's indestructible.
Always wanted his 1C flashlight. That must have incredible run times ( that for the old timers like me around here)

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Yep. That's too bad. I was planning to buy an EDC XML this year, but not now. Unless I find one on the 2nd'ary market. I believe it's "Elektro Lumens" too, not Electro.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the 1W blaster the thing that came before 3p. gave it away to someone. Yeah, sad.

Circa 2005 was it.

majid

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunate indeed. I have the EDC-MCE (my favorite because of the floodiness of the beam due to the 4 conjoined emitters), the EDC-XML and the very first EDC-Copper (doubles as a dumbbell). You have smaller lights like the Olight S1R-Turbo with the same output nowadays, but they have nowhere near the thermal dissipation and stability of the Elektrolumens lights.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish Wayne all the best. IF he is building cool stuff for "UncleSam", those pesky space aliens should watch out! :crackup:glad I got one of his 18650 lights 10 years ago. people thought it was a one of a kind 'custom built' in a machine shop just for me. I managed to hang onto it and use it occasionally when searching for stuff around the house.:)

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sad to hear, many thanks for posting the info on EKL.

His creations were built to last, I still use at least one of them (the customized Anglelux) and the Maglite drop-in he did lasted for quite a while.

He emphasized function over form, though the forms he came up with were good looking in their own, monumental, way.

Given that he often had to work mostly alone (or with one family member helping out), he achieved a lot.

One more thing, from him you learn the value of experience, I got the feeling he understood flashlights not from theory, but from working with them and creating them over many years.

He learned flashlights using a lathe!

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep sad he is not making any new super bright, Solid tank, art pieces anymore.
The Big Bruiser is one of my all-time favourite lights from any brand or maker. Just love the one handed operation of it and the simplicity of the light. I loved it so much I purchased another one so I could have one as a user and the other as a piece of art.

I think it maybe time for an LED upgrade on one of them. Thank's OP look what you have started now.

I also have the EDC-XML, EDC-MCE, and the Elektro Lumens ST90 Search & Rescue.

Had to add a picture of the beast.
Bigbruiser.jpg

Thanks Wayne love your work :thumbsup:

Last edited:

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened
Still have and use my 3000 lumen Big Bruiser.

Have to admit my new favorite at 1/5 the price is the tiny little Nebo Mycro 400. 400 lumens and at 150 lumens give a 90 minute run time. USB rechargeable.