Best zoomable 18650 flashlight

Jshel2000

Newly Enlightened
(first post, I'm brand new, but I've been reading a lot about 18650s, and their next gen counterpart the 20700s and 21-70s.)

I have an ecogear FX tk120X 1600 lumen that I got as a gift from my dad a few years back, but I've been looking for something a little brighter, and higher quality to replace it. The reason I want to replace it, is that I prefer using 18650s, because they are just more convientient to me, and I trust them more than disposables and rechargable batteries made to be a replacement to disposable alkalines. Why do I say this? Well, a little bit ago, I bought a duracell durabeam ultra for 20 dollars from Costco, and it significantly outperformed my ecogear, rated for a higher output. This made me lose a lot of trust for the ecogear.

What I love about both flashlights is that they can both 'zoom,' allowing them to function both as throw, and floodlights. My response, for a while, has just been to switch to the duracell. Only problem is that I use it daily working on my car, and using it around the shop that I work at, on things like cars and engines, but also outdoorsy things, since I have a dog, and a big yard. Using that light so much means I go through about 4 C batteries every two weeks or so, sometimes even faster. This is pretty wasteful in terms of how much I'm spending on batteries.

What I want in a light is:

1. The ability to 'zoom' or 'focus' the beam so I can either light up an entire room, or focus on something far away.
  2. Runs on 18650 cell, or some other li-ion cell. Would prefer 18650s since they are easier to find, and are usually cheaper.
  3. has an evenly spread beam, which both makes it easier to see what I'm doing and around what I'm doing, and doesn't unleash my inner OCD, which is why I avoid mag lights
  4. Is somewhat water prrof or water resistant. I work with lots of oil and water, so I would like it to be able to survive the occasional splash, but it doesn't need to be literally submersible.
  5. durability isn't super important, but I would like it to feel solid, and I also want it to live for as long as it can. I don't want it to be a 'break in a month' durability level, but it doesn't have to be able to survive a nuclear blast
  6. a nice, wide grip for my big hands.
  7. a reasonably long battery life, so somewhere around 2 hours on high, but preferably more.
  8. Brighter than both of my current lights
  9. cost isn't super important. I'd be okay with spending a little more for somthing better. Also,it doesn't need to be ridiculously lightweight, small, portable, etc. As long as it isn't absurd, than I'm fine. I'd also be okay with having to use lots of 18650 cells, but only if it causes it to last longer than other options.
  10. It doesn't matter what kind of bulb it is. I haven't really researched HID bulbs, but I do know that they are incredibly bright. As long as it is bright, uniform light, then I'm fine.
  11. it has to be reliable, and long lasting. I don't want something that breaks in just a few weeks of normal use. Heat dissipation may help with this.

If you guys have any suggestions that'd be nice. It's hard to find a good review site that doesn't just post whatever has the best amazon reviews. In the mean time, I'll keep looking

also, please excuse typos. My keyboard is falling apart.

Last edited:

Jshel2000

Newly Enlightened
*hot linked shill image removed

I'd like it to be as bright if not brighter than what I have, so 900 lumens or more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jshel2000

Newly Enlightened
One pretty decent one that springs to mind is the Jaxman Z1

Looking into it now. I saw that it some were saying that it gets hot, and that affects reliability, and I can't seem to find it on amazon. Do you know where I can find it? Also, how much light does it put out?

Jshel2000

Newly Enlightened
Looking into this, or the jaxman z1. Probably this one. If battery life proves to be an issue, I have the resources to modify the light to store some more batteries, put in parallel for more battery life.

STO

Newly Enlightened
The Z1's build quality and design is quite good but it's poor emitter options and driver output really let it down in my eyes. The XM-L version has pretty unimpressive throw and the XHP-50 one is even worse and has the dark cross artifact. But with a really high surface density emitter they can put out some pretty amazing throw. The Strike of Hyperion modded ones I built do 400+kcd (400,000 candela/lux@1m, 1265m ANSI).

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Z1's build quality and design is quite good but it's poor emitter options and driver output really let it down in my eyes. The XM-L version has pretty unimpressive throw and the XHP-50 one is even worse and has the dark cross artifact. But with a really high surface density emitter they can put out some pretty amazing throw. The Strike of Hyperion modded ones I built do 400+kcd (400,000 candela/lux@1m, 1265m ANSI).

Email sent regarding your Wrath of Ra.

Sicumj

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the Fenix FD41. I want something that has readily available options like filters and remote switches for gun mounts. Also wanted something with some throw for fishing after dark. I have a OLIGHT S1R Turbo for EDC but wanted a small dual option battery light that would flood and throw. I'll get it Tuesday and will wring it out the rest of the week on a fishing trip.