PK-PL2 stopped working - RESOLVED!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Gang,

Got a PK-PL2 on the forum here in December last year. Carried it lovingly on my keys for about 5 months. Loved it. Nice and bright. It replaced my Fenix E01 as my key light.

Had the same Energizer lithium AAA in it since I got it. It just now stopped working while I was fiddling with it at work. I figured maybe it's the battery. I pulled a spare AAA Duracell from my backpack and tried it. Still nothing. I'm going to try a new battery when I get home (and run these batts on the voltmeter) to eliminate the possibility that these are both depleted.

I must mention, a few weeks ago I had the head off and the battery out and the tail spring inside fell out. I stuck it back in and it took some finagling with a pencil to seat the spring at the bottom to get it to work again. It's been fine since then (until it just stopped working) but I wanted to mention that. Anyone experience any weird connection issue with these guys?

Will report in once I try some new batts (and dust off my Fenix), but has anyone seen any failures with this light? Anything I need to check to diagnose?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Re: PK-PL2 stopped working!

When the battery is too low the light can just shut down though there is some warning (reduced output) before. That said it can appear to be sudden death if the reduction in output was missed over time. Let us know how it works once yea try a confirmed good battery.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

GOT IT.

After constant screwing and unscrewing, I accidentally unscrewed the bezel and reflector from in front of the LED. So I have the head with the led module, which is a brass piece with male threads at each end, the body, and then the bezel with lens and reflector. It looks like the bezel can be tightened down too far so the module doesn't go far enough into the body to turn on. Once I loosened the bezel, I could tighten the unit down far enough to turn on.

Now the problem is how to seat the bezel onto the module so it's tight enough that it will stay together for reliable switching. As it is now trying to turn it on and off rotates the bezel and not the head. Tightening the bezel mechanically down on the unit means it won't work. Loctite maybe?

Last edited:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast

You might see if if bykfixer responds or maybe PM him to see if he has any tips. He's a helpful PKDL expert.

Also... I like the PL2 so best of luck getting it sorted out!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

I put a spot of red loctite and adjusted it. Don't know if it reacted funny or what, but it seized up pretty tight. I can activate it reliably now. The bezel doesn't move in relation to the head now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Edit: I see you posted while I was typing Sween

I found that the glue softens over time. PK addressed that with a second batch. I got two that were no go from new. I twisted the brass part out some like you did and tried e6000 glue. It worked ok but I ended up putting a piece of copper foil in one about the size of a thumbtack head as a 'lock tight' thread filler. It worked great with the e-3
6000 glue.
The other no-go was fixed via a small strip of alluminum foil over the threads like a pipe dope tape. No glue was used and it works fine.

I actually ended up not threading the brass into the bezel quite as far as factory and found it turns off/on and switches easier.

Not ideal I know, and like I say, PK has changed the type of glue for the stuff being made now.
Yours was probably one of the first batch of 200 made.

Let me know if you keep having trouble.

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

What a good faith gesture it would be to offer Sween a free replacement from the updated stock.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mike (bkyfixer) reached out to me via PM and is taking care of it. Both him and PK are a top tier class act and I can't thank them enough!

Thanks to everyone for weighing in!

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

THAT is exemplary service and display of the true meaning of a manufacturer AND a dealer both standing behind their products and merchandise, respectively. THAT is worthy of a cheer, unlike most of the low bar cases often seen these days in that section (cheer for fast shipping; cheer for trouble free communication; and cheer for other things that are supposed to be basic, sound CS).