Imalent DN35 review

narmattaru

Enlightened
I got this flashlight for review from Gearbest. Product page is here

(link is external)

--------------------

I think that 2016 year was a breakthrough year for 26650 flashlights (Acebeam EC50 Gen2, Klarus G20, Olight R50). Almost EDC size, great brightness and battery capacity – these flashlights have a lot of advantages.

Now I'd like to tell about Imalent DN35. I`d personally prefer DN70 with it`s OP reflector, but huge gap between modes was crucial reason to get DN35 instead.
Manufacturer promises this:
1489049580819369.jpg

60ed617cd2.jpg

*Emitters: Cree XHP35 HI
*Luminous Flux: 2200LM
*Light Modes: High,Location beacon,Low,Mid,SOS,Strobe,Turbo
*Battery Type: 26650
*Battery Quantity: 1
*Mode Memory: Yes
*Rechargeable: Yes
*Waterproof Standard: IPX-8 Standard Waterproof (Underwater 2m)
*Product size (L x W x H): 11.30 × 3.80 × 3.80 cm

PACKAGE and APPEARANCE
DN35 has a nice package. This is an no doubts one of best packages that I met, really top-class.
120552.jpg

adc8eb.jpg

1cff6b.jpg

Package includes DN35, battery, manual, holster, usb-cable, o-rings.
a9314a36f1.jpg

62c2b8.jpg

496fd1.jpg

I`d make holster cover just 1 longer.
ed02d0.jpg

Flashlight has really (IMHO) futuristic appearance, mainly due to blue tail. And it has really compact size, similar to 18650 EDC stuff you carry in pocket, just little bit thicker.
c40f3e.jpg

9899f9.jpg

Comparing to other Lumintop SD26, Imalent DN35 shows less size: 113mm x 38 × 32
859016.jpg

59fa01.jpg

It seems to me that Imalent has it`s own design vision of their product line, and they fanatically fallows this vision.
9089e2e7dc.jpg

Right from the start, DN35 attracts attention with it`s blue tails with model name printed on it.
Yeah, that looks cool – who argues, but where is hole for lanyard? I don`t care, I don`t use lanyard at all. But a lot of users do, so for me this is 1`st non AA\AAA flashlight that doesn't have lanyard.
5bcfaf.jpg

2f6f3d.jpg

Knurling is small and accurate. Bunch of lined squares. Tail body has length just enough to place 3 fingers, 2 rest conveniently circles head. Grip is good. DN35 fits palm really well.
fc32b9.jpg

As it usually happens, USB-cover port and buttons are located at opposite sides.
ea921a.jpg

And here is a total "uncool". Small pin at the end of covering usb-port rubber foot easily comes falls through hole in flashlight body. So when you open rubber plug, make sure you do it gently or prepare to loose whole plug.
eeba2e.jpg

ab8e30.jpg

Cooling ribs…well. There are 2 round cooling ribs circling flashlight` removable part of head (not the whole head, just part with glass) and that`s it. There are some strange figures by buttons, may be they are also suppose to dissolve heat, but in reality they just distract you from finding buttons.
7010e5.jpg

Reflector is SMO, 28×28mm.
080e8e.jpg

d790df.jpg

701a14.jpg

I was surprised to see demoded XHP35.
f1d735.jpg

91f166.jpg

13293f.jpg

I think that spring at tail was sacrificed for making flashlight length less. Now there is just contact plate.
abce2d.jpg

85633f.jpg

Threads are mid-size, rectangular, well lubricated.
88c711.jpg

UI
I`m not used to such ui with 2 buttons.
Ok, see pic.

Mq-KQoR4JqI.jpg

In reality that takes some clicks to get used to it which is good.
But there is a bad, bad thing to tell you, guys.
These buttons are worst that I see (and i`ve held A LOT of flashlights). That will be a toughest challenge to locate this buttons, when you have gloves on, or in situation when it is so cold outside, that your fingers merely bend. May be dpipping some thermal glue will make them more contrast to the rest of DN35`s surface.

In slow regular usage, that may be not such a problem, I must admit.
Display is a rare feature for flashlight, that Imalent gravitates to. This one is a tiny OLED. Black with white symbols on. It shows mode, voltage, overheat warning, charge progress bar.
09317e.jpg

fa10a3.jpg

8fde62.jpg

After some time display turns off, which is not convenient – you have to search for button again.

Pressing left button turns display on again.
Adding kinda of Manker`s "dragonbreath" feature would ease finding buttons sooo much!

BTW, there is a discharge warning – when voltage gets below 3.1v, display will blink 8 times each 30 seconds.
DN35 PERFORMANCE.
It has just 1A charging current, so it took 7 (SEVEN!) hours to fully charge battery. C`mon, that`s uncool! I`ve sold all my Opus`es and Liitokala 500`s, so I had to use usb-tester. It shows that 5511mah went insde. Big difference with stated capacity. I mean that I do believe in 4600 rather than in 5511, last numbers are so big for bad efficiency of charging circuit (imho).
What else. Battery protection board has protect battery from voltage below 2.8v. In my case I witnessed 2.6v before light turned totally off.
As I mention, DN35 is an compact for 26650 stuff. This is good EDC size that fits any pocket.
CW light, with light distribution close to trowers.

What about light. I was surpised, but 20 lums (thax for dedomed LED and OP reflector) make visible light at within 15m range, see GIF below. As far as I understand, DN70 has more NW light.
Beamshots: low-mid-900stepdown-high-turbo
ab7629.png

714a86.png

DN35 passes shower test for PWM shimmering.
What about stabilization. In room temperature, DN35 kept high mode for about 4minutes and then made stepdown to 900 lums. "Overheating" warning sign appeared at display.
15a4b5.jpg

At open space, with air 15 Celsius, DN 35 kept turbo for 5 minutes, then quickly fell to 900 and kept this brightness for 2h40min.
That expectedly means that the real constand brightness is 900lums, and high\turbo may be used for short time. Maybe, maybe in winter there is a chance to use high mode for constant time. I mean Russian\Alaska winter, with -20 Celsius and below. But that face you a necessity to locate button in gloves, again -)

Anyway, 900 lums is ok for any ordinary need, as DN35 make a really long beam.
Hey, guys from Imalent, if you read this. Take a look at Manker and Skilhunt, who offer a bunch of brightness levels almost in any product. In this case gap between 450 and 1500 is a mockery (not to say a spit at face)

7m distance
7maa23a.gif

15 m distace. 20 lum is enough to tell Zerg from Protoss, and 450 is totally comfortable light here.
15m.gif

175 метров. 20 lums are invisible, 450 make some light. In reality only high-turbo are useful here. But, taking in account that I tell about just 28mm reflector and EDC size of flashlight – the light that I see at wall is a great performance.
175b9c0c.gif

Those who prefer diffused light, may order cheap diffuser here(link is external), don`t find any cheaper)
OVERALL
DN35 has perfect package (great as gift) , looks perfectly as well. It has really long beam and has EDC size and USB-charging feature as well as included 26650 battery.
On the other side it has terrible buttons, and high\turbo that last just some minutes. It takes ages to fully charge battery. And there is a big ( yet not giant as at DN70) gap between mid-high and low-mid. Rubber cover plug can be easily lost.
So, decide, guys. I appreciate if some who own this flashlight will share his opinion about it.
There is a good coupon for DN35. With MDN35 code price is only 64.95$.

Soverign

Newly Enlightened
I just tried the coupon code and it still is valid!
$55.99 each and the cart allowed me more than one at that price!

malocchio

Newly Enlightened
I've had mine a week.....The USB cover tether popped off the first time I opened it, and I was not rough doing it...I tried to squeeze it back in the hole with a tweezer to no avail...A toothpick did the trick , although the tether has a tiny hole in it from the toothpick , so be careful...The switches are OK, you really just have to memorize the actions...The light is beyond bright in a torch this size, and it's right at the max size/weight for a non irritating pocket carry , although using the holster will make it much more comfortable...Battery charged in 5 hours , but that was the first time...I think at $57 the light is a true best buy , I don't know of another this small that puts out so much light with so much throw , and in-light USB charging of a single cell is truly nice.