Oveready customer service?

RedBaron

Newly Enlightened
The issue: I bought a couple C Triad tail caps for my Surefire U 2 Ultra and Kroma Mil-Spec. According to the web site, they're compatible. Neither one will function. Any ideas what may be wrong and/or how to fix?

I have emailed Oveready twice seeking guidance and have heard nothing. I'm deploying soon and need to have some resolution.

Thanks for any help from you folks.

Croquette

Enlightened
That's weird. They always answer really fast to my questions.

Stupid question but what kind of switch did you add to your triad tailcaps ?

Genna

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 have a Z59 clicky tailcap and maybe in your case only a contact issue between tailcap and body.
The Kroma have a 2-stage Momentary/Twisty tailcap and with a McClicky switch in your Triad you loose the 2-stage function of the Kroma...if I'm correct, of course!

RedBaron

Newly Enlightened
That's weird. They always answer really fast to my questions.

Stupid question but what kind of switch did you add to your triad tailcaps ?

Moddoolar C Triad Tail - Natural HA
Finish - Custom HA - Dark Natural
Tail Cap - 3. Triad + Trit (empty holes)
Tail Switch - 06. McClicky - Black MEDpress

RedBaron

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I'm aware of that "loss" and that's OK as I'd rather have the click on than having to use two hands to twist.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, a couple of thoughts:

1. Do you have a plain, vanilla 6P lying around? I'd like to test one, or both, of the tail caps and see if it works at all.
2. When you look at the spring contact inside the tail cap, do you see anything unusual, or out of the ordinary?
3. Does the tail cap screw down completely? Or is there a bit of a gap between tail cap and body?

RedBaron

Newly Enlightened
So, a couple of thoughts:

1. Do you have a plain, vanilla 6P lying around? I'd like to test one, or both, of the tail caps and see if it works at all.
2. When you look at the spring contact inside the tail cap, do you see anything unusual, or out of the ordinary?
3. Does the tail cap screw down completely? Or is there a bit of a gap between tail cap and body?

1. :crackup: Wait, maybe, buried in a box somewhere. Or is it a G2...?

2. Side by side the springs are at the same level relative to the threads and cap edge.

3. Yes. No gap, rattle or battery shift.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the light work when you short the -ve side of the cell to the body tube?
Do you have a DMM? Check the switch function with that.
If not, take the McClicky out of the tail and place it at the end of the tube where it would fit. See if it functions. Make sure the end of the tail that touches the McClicky is clean and also the metal contact on the switch. If the light works then there's a problem with the switch touching the body tube, if it doesn't the switch is suspect.
Post on the Oveready Forum......
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?346339-Questions-amp-FAQ-Oveready-TorchLAB
Maybe PM Electron Guru direct, or even phone as you're in a rush.
They're very busy getting out the next batch of BOSS. But believe me they WILL sort out your problem.
P

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. :crackup: Wait, maybe, buried in a box somewhere. Or is it a G2...?

2. Side by side the springs are at the same level relative to the threads and cap edge.

3. Yes. No gap, rattle or battery shift.

Heh, seriously. I wanted to test the basic switch functionality, but it seems Peter has some better ideas on how to do that.

Although yeah, 6P or G2 would work as a quick means of ruling out whether or not the switch was an issue.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have either of those lights here to confirm functionality.

Both of them have the plastic shrouded pocket clips.

If the tailcap is bottoming out on the plastic (zero gap) then you likely are not getting contact with the brass ring inside the tailcap.

You could remove the clips and test them out.

If this is the issue, then our universal pocket clips might be a good move.
http://www.oveready.com/clip-store/universal-tialn-spring-stainless-steel-clip/prod_454.html

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited:

RedBaron

Newly Enlightened
"You could remove the clips and test them out." BINGO!

Thank you, one and all, for your quick responses, advice, etc. I may not come here all that often, but when I do I get the best support. And new ways to spend my $$!

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yay for working equipment pre-deployment!

Good luck, and keep your head down.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You cou;d prbably grind down the plastic on the clips to get them to fit, or slip a small aluminium sealing washer into the tailcap to get the contact back between the McClicky and the tube.
Or just dump the clips.
P

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF member Moddoo is part of the Oveready team in a big way. The team is super busy but their customer service is over the top. Because it is a small operation, and so many minutes in a day...

So glad for a resolution and much appreciation for your service, RedBaron

RedBaron

Newly Enlightened
"grind down the plastic on the clips to get them to fit, or slip a small aluminium sealing washer"

grind down the plastic- was my 1st thought but the washer idea would be good, too. Thanks.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I have emailed Oveready twice seeking guidance and have heard nothing. I'm deploying soon and need to have some resolution.
Sorry, unsure whats going on, email sent with options on May 8th.

PM sent

Thanks to everyone for jumping in on this, we are super busy this week!

Last edited: