High CRI (90+) ~3000K-4000K light for mostly indoor use with good UI?

diablo266

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to find a good High CRI (90+) light for use mostly indoors, something that can light up rooms small and large with accurate color, and also be toned down to inspect items closely. 1x18650 size is usually a good balance for me, it'll live in my tool bag. I've always been a huge fan of lights with an "infinite" brightness ring that can be turned to adjust the output levels but i've been unable to find any that meet my requirements. Ideally something in the 3000K-4000K temperature range with 90+ CRI. I EDC an Eagtac D25A Clicky Ti with Nichia 219 and it's basically been perfect for this, but being so small and wanting the extra output a 14500 provides the runtime isn't always sufficient. Basically no budget requirements for this, just want the best light.

Thanks for any help!

diablo266

Newly Enlightened

Thank you both for the replies, I had never heard of them before seems like a very nice light. My only reservation is at 200 Lumens with the Nichia is it dimmer than my little D25A Clicky Ti Nichia on a 14500? I haven't been able to nail down how many lumens that exact combo outputs on turbo with a 14500 and while the output is sufficient on high something brighter would certainly be nice.

While I vastly prefer rotary control the eagletac UI has been acceptable to me. The only thing off limits is a single button UI that requires you to hold it down or click rapidly to cycle modes.

Robe

Enlightened
The rotary UI is for me far and away the best UI. The tint in the high cri is also significantly better than anything else I've seen.

I've never found the brightness to suffer for edc usage. It's not a search and rescue light but excepting for show or coolness, it's been more than enough for me.

I wish there was an 18350 version though. ;)

Robe

Enlightened
He did say no budget requirements. And this is a light forum, where lights go a lot higher.

thslw8jg

Enlightened
Have you considered the ET D25LC2 with a Nichia 219B Hi-CRI that uses an 18650 cell? Also check out lights that use triple Hi-CRI emitter's and 18650 cell for some serious room flood capability like the Oveready Boss and E series using triple emitter's

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only reservation is at 200 Lumens
While I vastly prefer rotary control the eagletac UI has been acceptable to me. The only thing off limits is a single button UI that requires you to hold it down or click rapidly to cycle modes.

some of your criteria may need to be flexible

if you prioritize Rotary, there are only a couple of options, sunwayman V11R is one of the others
if you prioritize High CRI, the light will be 30% less bright than Low CRI in the same light (no Nichia in Sunwayman)
if you don't want to multi click a single button to cycle modes, you're going to have to settle for a 2 button UI, like Nitecore (and no Nichia)

a High CRI light in the dark, indoors, does not require more than about 100 lumens, imo
if you want 1000 lumens outdoors, its likely going to be low CRI, and not a rotary

the HDS Rotary is a Cult Classic, for a modest fee, you could join the Cult and never look back.
you can definitely spend less, and you can also spend more, the Boss is a fantastic light, but, its a clickie, not a rotary, and it costs considerably more than a Rotary High CRI HDS. Also, the Boss is sold out, the HDS is in stock.
Zebralights have some great features, but no Nichia, and No Rotary..

you might want to consider buying 2 or 3 different lights, for different applications, or to choose which one to keep and which to resell..

happy shopping, share your impressions of whatever you choose

diablo266

Newly Enlightened
some of your criteria may need to be flexible

if you prioritize Rotary, there are only a couple of options, sunwayman V11R is one of the others
if you prioritize High CRI, the light will be 30% less bright than Low CRI in the same light (no Nichia in Sunwayman)
if you don't want to multi click a single button to cycle modes, you're going to have to settle for a 2 button UI, like Nitecore (and no Nichia)

a High CRI light in the dark, indoors, does not require more than about 100 lumens, imo
if you want 1000 lumens outdoors, its likely going to be low CRI, and not a rotary

the HDS Rotary is a Cult Classic, for a modest fee, you could join the Cult and never look back.
you can definitely spend less, and you can also spend more, the Boss is a fantastic light, but, its a clickie, not a rotary, and it costs considerably more than a Rotary High CRI HDS. Also, the Boss is sold out, the HDS is in stock.
Zebralights have some great features, but no Nichia, and No Rotary..

you might want to consider buying 2 or 3 different lights, for different applications, or to choose which one to keep and which to resell..

happy shopping, share your impressions of whatever you choose

I pretty much agree completely with you. I'm giving serious thought to the HDS, it seems to be basically perfect for my needs (just wish it got brighter at max because why not). I wanted to make sure nobody knew of a viable alternative that was perhaps brighter and cheaper before pulling the trigger. I have no issue paying for a quality product, but when I do I like to make sure i'm getting something that justifies its cost and fits my needs.

At this point i'm most curious about the Eagtac TX30C2 (I think they may have a few other Nichia 219 lights as well?) but i'm not sure if it's going to be far too much of a thrower for my use case?

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
Manker E14 does fit the bill:
- single 18350 or 18650 size
- 1000+ Lumens
- 4000k 90+ CRI Nichia 219C (x4)
- USD 52:-
- great UI (by ToyKeeper)

ven

Flashaholic
HDS rotary hi cri +3

The numbers maybe a little lower than the d25c nichia, but the HDS does put out enough light. To put it another way(yes i like high output!), very rarely do i use the rotary on the max. I find in closer uses, the hot spot is too intense at the max level due to the reflector design/depth/smooth. If i was to hazard a guess, around 1/2 to 2/3 type of output is more than enough for most of my uses(100-140 ish lumens). For mainly indoor uses or close quarters, the flood reflector would be worth a look. HDS compared to the d25c, the HDS has a more intense hot spot(wider/deeper reflector over the d25), the d25 has a little brighter spill.

Again the v11r would be a contender, maybe send the light to gunga or vinh for an LED swap to cover the hi cri and colour temp needs. I really like this light, infinite control UI, cr123/16340/AA/14500 fuel options for flexibility.

Still for a tank of a light, a light your life may depend on..............HDS.
D25c ti neutral /V11r 219c(gunga mod)/HDS rotary hi cri