Inova/Emissive Energy - what's their story?

Deanster

Enlightened
Inova/Emissive Energy - what\'s their story?

With Inova's announcement of a fistful of new, apparently excellent lights, they're moving yet further into the realm of one of our leading manufacturers, yet I know nearly nothing about the company. All their website says is that they are from Rhode Island, and that they're privately held.

Anyone know their back story? Who's the founder, how did they get started, etc? Is it a Peter Gransee-type operation that's gotten much larger, or did someone come in with a couple million $$ and launch it fairly large to begin with?

just curious...

Deanster

Enlightened
Re: Inova/Emissive Energy - what\'s their story?

I'd read that page and noted the near-complete lack of useful content, and it's what prompted this question...

Bill.H

Enlightened

I just looked at the link above... how did Inova get that building on just the sales of the X5 and the Microlight? I guess someone had a boatload of cash to invest in the start up. Or did they have other products in the past that were successful?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

note they said that they were founded in the 1991. I bet the inova ML and X5 ain't produced yet

Jarhead

Banned

I've see their lights X5 and X1 all over the place, Fry's Electronics, and almost every outdoor store around town.

I my first led flashlight was a 5 LED Inova I purchased three years ago, at Fry's Electronics.

It has been a really good flashlight, and it is still running on the original batteries.

Fry's stocks 15 of their models, http://shop4.outpost.com/search?search_type=regular&query_string=inova&cat=

The X5 Tactical Black with holster is 39.99 there:

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3452493

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure that Emissive Energy was making laser pointers or something like that. They certainly didn't show up on the radar until a couple years ago.

There is no evidence of an internet presence for Inova or Emissive Energy prior to 2000. In fact, emissiveenergy was reg'd in '99 and inovalight was reg'd in 2000.

dg

Newly Enlightened

Isn't this what you boys call "The American Dream"? lol

Anyway, good luck to them. I use the X1 and the 24/7 which are remarkable and pretty unique in their design and function.

jasonbulb

Newly Enlightened

I love my X5T. I have an Arc LS, which is my EDC. I must say the Arc is a bit brighter. However the Inova serves the purpose very well, and has a longer runtime. Not a great EDC like the Arc, but a well built, bright, use around the house, great everyday light.
If I were going on an all night fishing trip or something, no question I would carry the Inova over the Arc.
The new lights from shot are amazing. A 3W Luxeon for under $80 should put a strike of fear in a lot of manufacturers out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's always lucrative to have pull with our soldiers as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The Inova Microlight is part of the uniform for a lot of units. It's cliped to the button hole in the collar. How many sales to them, all of us, and anyone wanting a tiny good quality light for under $6.50?

I don't know how long Inova has been selling the Microlight, but just in the past two years, they must have made a killing!

G

glhawk

The person that is behind Inova/Emissive Energy believes that you can build a better mouse trap....and he has. All of his products have a life-time warranty and he always makes sure he uses 'common' batteries. He designs and builds great lights.....and he also made the "Worlds smallest laser" (3 microns). I enjoy his lights and use them all the time.

jpeg

Enlightened

Countycomm can verify this, but I think I remember Frank saying that emissive energy had been doing some contract work for the military for a few years... That would certainly explain the funding... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think they've hit a homerun with the new models. I may actually hold off on a few purchases and wait for the "T" series to come out.

Jon

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

The microlight I have was purchased at the bookstore at my college summer '99, and we were limited to buying only 3 light per person for about $4 a piece. At that time, they were a 'trial' item not available in most general public stores. In my research to find out where I could get more of these little gems, I was told that this company had been involved only in military sales up to that point...