22.5mm Flat Mineral Glass

fuelblender

Enlightened
I'm thinking of buying a 22.5mm Flat Mineral Glass to replace the plastic lens in a flashlight I use. Except for the better clarity and the scratch restistance, would this lens be fragile? Would it break easily? Anyone have any experience with this product? It is sold by the sandwich shopp.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
My family and I are using about 50 of these in MiniMags with Sandwiches and Newbeams. We haven't broken any yet.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it's certainly less shock resistant than the standard lens, but that's a tradeoff you make /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

it's not going to break under normal use, and should still survive shocks quite well. really i wouldn't worry about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
Mine has survived a few serious drops of 3 or 4 feet directly on its head that I was sure would crack the glass but it has survived with only a few nicks. I guess the rubber gaskets work pretty good as shock absorbers.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave-
They CAN break, but I've rarely heard of it. None of mine have. The risk is a good cheap trade off for increased output in 2AA mods (also more scratch resistant than plastic). If you have any that you don't want to take a chance with, FlashlightLens can help out (but not for $1.50).