Boring Old Surefire KT2 Turbohead - Tri LED Upgrade?

Aepoc

Enlightened
Has anyone ever bored the hole in a KT1 or KT2 turbohead to accept a 20mm MCPCB? I have an old turbohead with a P4 module that I made a while back... It was a bada** light back in the day but its just so unimpressive at this point. I also have a 20mm tri 219B high CRI star that i've been itching to throw into something. Boring the hole to the proper size and making a new heat sink won't be an issue for me but I'm worried that I won't be happy with beam quality. My favorite thing about this light is the beautiful beam and throw. Does anyone out there have any experience using a single large reflector with 3 emitters? If I were to do this, would I be turning my throw queen into a floodlight? Any tips on focusing?

Also the LEDs are in series and I have very little experience with the 219Bs. I know they can't take much current... Would two 18650s be enough/too much to power them if I use a direct drive or linear driver?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Given your parts and goals, a single large led on a smaller board seems to be the way to go. And kt are sufficiently special that if you wanted a triple you could sell the kt and go small/flood.

Aepoc

Enlightened
I like the specs on the XHP70.2! Might be difficult to get that LED and wires into that tiny hole. I remember the Seoul P4 mod being frustratingly tight... I wonder if there's a way to easily reflow it onto a heat sink w/ contacts integrated thus getting rid of the need for wires.

I'm sure you know this, but KT1/2 are rather rare and collectible.

Honestly I didn't even think about it... Its just been sitting on my shelf collecting dust. what do you think its worth? I've got a 2x18650 leaf body and tailcap and the aw led tower for it as well. If the price is right I might sell in order to fund some other projects.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Honestly I didn't even think about it... Its just been sitting on my shelf collecting dust. what do you think its worth? I've got a 2x18650 leaf body and tailcap and the aw led tower for it as well. If the price is right I might sell in order to fund some other projects.

Depends a lot on condition.

We prefer to keep specific pricing talk out of the discussion threads, but I'll PM you ... :)

Aepoc

Enlightened
IMG_0860_zpsveuvuha9.jpg

I'm considering making a brass or copper heat sink if I go the XHP70.2 route... not much room to work with though. I had to remove part of the insulation from the wires on this tower for proper clearance... not much of an issue because the body is anodized in that location but I still don't like it.

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can go in from the top and connect at the bottom.
I did this many years ago using a Seoul P7. The beam was good also.
A 3 piece heatsink could be made where the top goes in first and then is connected at the bottom for power and ground contacts.