Malkoff Hound Dog Super vs Acebeam K70 & Thrunite TN42 ?

greatbluewhite

Newly Enlightened
Been thinking about buying my first thrower, and have read positive experiences with the following lights. Has anyone done any direct comparison between these three lights?
- Malkoff Hound Dog Super
- Acebeam K70
- Thrunite TN42

I'm particularly looking for the comparison of the reach and size of the hotspot and spill (same subject and location). If you have pictures, it'd be great if you could share them. Else, your thoughts would also be much appreciated.

Came across a direct comparison on the Acebeam K70 and Thrunite TN42 on youtube here.

harro

Enlightened
Here's a photo of a Cool White K70 on the left and a Neutral White Manker MK35 on the right, taken at the recent Melbourne 2017 Autumn get together. The subject kangaroo's are about 150M distant. The CPF member FusionM8 may have a photo of the very same CW K70 beside his NW TN42, taken in a similar manner. Note the 'roos further out at about 250M. A hilltop at about 450M proved no problems for any of these lights, unfortunately, none of us thought to take a photo of that.....

ihDvCnm.jpg

All the aforementioned and aftermentioned lights have their pros and cons. They are all desirable lights. A pencil beam light is never going to be as handy as the Malkoff HDS, or give a nice spill to work close with, but it puts light right where you want it, for a 'roo or fox cull ( no, the ones in the pic were only shot with a Sony HX200V ). A night walk with the dog, or just for?, I couldn't think of anything much more useless than a K70 or MK35. For closer work, the Malkoff and others of its ilk, are hard to beat. As other contributors to this thread have stated, best to use the right light for the task at hand.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the Hound Dog Super with the neutral tint, but neither of the other lights. Like you, I've also researched all three and I think the decision comes down to priority. If maximum reach is uppermost on your mind, then I think you'd be more pleased with the Acebeam or the Thrunite than the Malkoff. If simplicity and durability are more important, then I'd recommend the Malkoff.

The Acebeam and the Thrunite use a large reflector, and thus have a very tight pencil beam. The hotspot produced by the Hound Dog Super's lens is broader, and therefore trades a bit of reach for a wider view. The Hound Dog Super throws very well, of course, but I wouldn't describe it as a pencil beam. An area 200m away will be flooded with light. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The Hound Dog Super is also regulated to maintain nearly maximum output without stepping down. The heat sinking mechanisms within the head of the light are excellent. Additionally, I like the fact that the Hound Dog Super runs on 2 x 18650 instead of 4 x 18650 and I could even use four primary batteries in a pinch. If you're interested, I'd be willing to snap a beam shot for you, unless one of the other CPF'ers has one ready to go.[/FONT]

cp2315

Enlightened
Hound Dog Super has a lux of 75Kcd

K70: 400kcd
TN42: 600kcd

Hound dog is not a match if only in terms of throw.

But K70 and TN42 are much larger lights (check their head sizes). Not fair comparison anyway.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say if you want a dedicated thrower to pick one up from Vinh.

He probably has done video comparisons of the TN and acebeam already.

Look for skylumens on YouTube

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say if you want a dedicated thrower to pick one up from Vinh.

He probably has done video comparisons of the TN and acebeam already.

Look for skylumens on YouTube
+1 This would be my suggestion. I still love my k60vn. Has incredible throw and a great flood look also. For the price I believe it's one of a kind.

tom-

Enlightened
About 1400 lumens for about an hour, one thing for sure these performance parameters certainly do fall into the super dog category-can't wait for the super duper mastiff series.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
a pencil type beam is kind of useless unless for one specific purpose.

Hound Dog all the way, of the super variety.

hahoo

Enlightened
can the houndog do this ?
tn42vn ;)

33833282883_66b06b9b34_b.jpg

700 meters

control

33179445046_1de8504595_b.jpg

tn42

32294985154_7b484265d2_h.jpg

300mm lense zoomed in

33015867811_1e5cd35333_h.jpg

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure it's a nice light, but the HD Super is only 75,000 Lux [1,350 lumens].

It's not even in the same league as lights like the K60, K70 or TN42.

The HD-S would better be compared to lights like the Acebeam EC60 [a pocket sized light putting out 90,800 Lux and 2,000 lumens].

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love all these lights and everyone has a place for special use and Applications. Thats why i buy so many diversified units. And i have a flashlight addiction. Truth be it!!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure it's a nice light, but the HD Super is only 75,000 Lux [1,350 lumens].

It's not even in the same league as lights like the K60, K70 or TN42.

The HD-S would better be compared to lights like the Acebeam EC60 [a pocket sized light putting out 90,800 Lux and 2,000 lumens].

This is true. The the first beam shot above is a well composed image that reminds me of the Death Star firing on the planet Alderaan. The Hound Dog Super cannot compete on that level, but has other virtues that make it, IMHO, a more useful flashlight. Then again, I've never had much appreciation for pencil beam lights and would only consider one if I had a genuine search and rescue type job.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
can the houndog do this ?
tn42vn

300mm lense zoomed in

33015867811_1e5cd35333_h.jpg

Wowzers! I am impressed.

Can I ask if anyone knows how the TN42vn compares to some of the older larger O-Lights like the SR series?

I use to have an SR90 but decided to sell it.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
To begin with, as others have noted, they are not comparable in a way. They serve different purpose, and have merits that could go either way depending on what you value more. FWIW, I ditched the TN42 and settled for a few Hound Dogs, one of them is the Super. Never looked back. ;)

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the Hound Dog Super with the neutral tint, but neither of the other lights. Like you, I've also researched all three and I think the decision comes down to priority. If maximum reach is uppermost on your mind, then I think you'd be more pleased with the Acebeam or the Thrunite than the Malkoff. If simplicity and durability are more important, then I'd recommend the Malkoff.

The Acebeam and the Thrunite use a large reflector, and thus have a very tight pencil beam. The hotspot produced by the Hound Dog Super's lens is broader, and therefore trades a bit of reach for a wider view. The Hound Dog Super throws very well, of course, but I wouldn't describe it as a pencil beam. An area 200m away will be flooded with light. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The Hound Dog Super is also regulated to maintain nearly maximum output without stepping down. The heat sinking mechanisms within the head of the light are excellent. Additionally, I like the fact that the Hound Dog Super runs on 2 x 18650 instead of 4 x 18650 and I could even use four primary batteries in a pinch. If you're interested, I'd be willing to snap a beam shot for you, unless one of the other CPF'ers has one ready to go.[/FONT]

this is my assessment of the Hound Dog Super also.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hound dog super is already on the big side of what can fit in a jacket pocket with the head diameter being the constraint. The other two would require a dedicated pouch or case unless one expects to carry the light the while time when he is up and about.