Does anyone know how to lock and unlock the switch on a Sunwayman flashlight?

goldenlight

Enlightened
The instructions for locking and unlocking the switch are written in the worst Engrish possible; I quote it word for word in it's entirety here:

"Depress-and-hold (within 2 seconds)the switch button until the LED flash once to lock the light and perform the same operation to unlock it".

"Within 2 seconds" of WHAT, exactly?

Oh yeah: it's Engrish. They aren't REQUIRED to define the terms they use.

These 'instructions', are, as is usual for Sunwayman 'instructions', completely worthless and incomprehensible. All that happens it that:

1) If the light is turned off, it turns the light on. If I press the button long enough, since it's not specified, it starts cycling through the output modes.

2) If the light is turned off, this is the PRECISE method for turning on the moonlight mode: Press and hold for a few seconds to turn on the moonlight mode. I can't get this POC to do anything else.

I sent a message to Sunwayman through their website, and this is the response I got. It would be funny, as an example of extreme Engrish, if I didn't NEED the lock and unlock instructions:

Sorry for this issue.
Please kindly understand this:
When your flashlight is locked out,please press the button at first, and then quickly press it once (within two seconds),
the flashlight can be unlocked if the LED flashes and perform the same operation to unlock it.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!Thank you.

Best Regards
Sherry

This is even more incomprehensible that the gibberish in the written instructions. I'm guessing 'Sherry' wrote her answer in Chinese, and then ran it through Google io 'translate' it to Engrish. There can be no other explanation. Notice how she doesn't even MENTION how to LOCK the switch, when that is SPECIFICALLY WHAT I ASKED FOR.

If it matters, the flashlight is a Sunwayman C13R. The switch is in the head, and only requires a few GRAMS of pressure to activate it. If I put it in my pocket, it gets turned on within a few minutes.

Without having the correct instructions for using the switch lock, the flashlight is completely useless to me. All it will do is drain batteries.

colight

Enlightened
Golden, have you maybe tried a quick double press within 2 seconds? That could work for locking and unlocking the light. I can totally understand your frustration, because my wife is Chinese, and in the beginning her "Chinglish" was terrible! I had to ask her numerous times to repeat her words before I only understood it. Don't let her hear this! :naughty:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My T16R which shares the same 'instructions' can be locked and unlocked with a quick click + click and hold, the latter until the light flashes briefly once (locking) or comes on (unlocking).

It surely took me a while to learn the trick ...

goldenlight

Enlightened
Golden, have you maybe tried a quick double press within 2 seconds? That could work for locking and unlocking the light. I can totally understand your frustration, because my wife is Chinese, and in the beginning her "Chinglish" was terrible! I had to ask her numerous times to repeat her words before I only understood it. Don't let her hear this! :naughty:

A double click turns on the strobe function, whether the light is on or off. Thank you for the suggestion, of course.

goldenlight

Enlightened
My T16R which shares the same 'instructions' can be locked and unlocked with a quick click + click and hold, the latter until the light flashes briefly once (locking) or comes on (unlocking).

It surely took me a while to learn the trick ...

Sounds like it might work. To LOCK the flashlight, do you start with the light on or off?

When I TRY to do what you suggest, from OFF, all it does is turn on the light, and it causes the light to start cycling through its output levels. When I try to do it from ON, all it does is turn on the moon mode. Every. Single. Time.

I have tried this MANY times. At least 50 from on, and 75 from off. I always get the EXACT SAME lack of results, as I have described above.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bearing in mind that I have a T16R which might be identical to yours or not, what I have to perform to lock the light from off is a double click exactly like the one that enables the strobe except that I do not release the switch after the double click for maybe 5 secs until I see a single brief flash. The light is locked.
After an initial training period it now works for me 100% of the times.

goldenlight

Enlightened
Bearing in mind that I have a T16R which might be identical to yours or not, what I have to perform to lock the light from off is a double click exactly like the one that enables the strobe except that I do not release the switch after the double click for maybe 5 secs until I see a single brief flash. The light is locked.
After an initial training period it now works for me 100% of the times.

Sounds reasonable. But no matter HOW MANY TIMES I try it, from OFF, all I get is the light turning on, followed by it changing output modes. Every single time. It's just not working for me. Thank you for trying to help me, of course.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please note that any time I do it wrong from off I get the strobe not the continuous light. Does your SWM have a strobe? In the affirmative how is it activated?

goldenlight

Enlightened
Please note that any time I do it wrong from off I get the strobe not the continuous light. Does your SWM have a strobe? In the affirmative how is it activated?

Yes. it does have a strobe. It is accessed by double clicking from either off or on. I haven't activated by accident, yet.