Fenix UC02

colight

Enlightened
It seems as if most people prefer the little bigger flashlights, even for EDC - lights like an E15 or so. I am quite curious as to what you people think of a smaller light like this UC02, for instance? I've had mine now for almost a year, and I use it fairly often. It found pride of place on my keychain. Obviously it is too small for use in a search and rescue situation, but in certain situations it may be a "lifesaver", as it was to me. In this time that I've had it, I haven't had to recharge it one single time! It is still holding the original charge, and I cannot see any change in output from the day I bought it. I take it that any reduction in output won't be very noticeable unless you use it almost every day.

What are your thoughts on this UC02 specifically, apart from the tint, that is, because I know many of you are into CW, whereas that doesn't matter so much to me?

proceed5

Enlightened
To each his own liking, my friend.

I have to say, I never had any thoughts about adding any more weight to my already bulky keychain (car & house).
I prefer to wear & clip-on an Olight H1 (for example) on my belt and use it that way.
Just my 2 cents worth.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
The UC02 is a good option if you might forget or be reluctant to have a larger light with you. It is like an insurance policy that requires little space and adds little weight to your load.

Personally, I prefer something like the Nitecore TIP, but the UC02 looks like a nice light.

proceed5

Enlightened
The UC02 is a good option if you might forget or be reluctant to have a larger light with you. It is like an insurance policy that requires little space and adds little weight to your load.

Personally, I prefer something like the Nitecore TIP, but the UC02 looks like a nice light.

On my way while driving home earlier tonight, I was thinking about this tiny light idea that Colight has started and it got me thinking a bit.
The suggestions you guys have given are eye openers. I mean, for years I have avoided to even consider AAA-sized 'small' lights.

You guys are right, it would not matter to carry that tiny lil' bit of weight , as an "insurance policy"
Alrite, i shall take a closer look at the NC TIP and UC02 when i next drop by me local distributor's place.

colight

Enlightened

I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm reluctant to wear a bigger size light. In fact, if it wouldn't make me look like a fool I would have carried a BIG flashlight with me (the RC40 even jumps to mind!) because I love to SEE where I go and what I do. The UC02 is also not perfect for us with bananas for fingers if you're thinking one-handed operation, but as I said, for those small emergencies the UC02 fits the bill for me perfectly. You hardly even know that you're carrying it because it is so light, and I'm amazed at the amount of output from such a tiny light. I'm sure there are other manufacturers that may have even better lights, but I've been a die-hard Fenix fan up to now, and at the moment I still prefer it to stay that way for "fear" of this turning me into a dedicated collector! ;)

proceed5

Enlightened
but I've been a die-hard Fenix fan up to now, and at the moment I still prefer it to stay that way for "fear" of this turning me into a dedicated collector! ;)

Haha, I was like you. And then ... i made the jump and became a collector as you would name it ... LOL :D

proceed5

Enlightened
Firstly thank you Colight and Mightysparrow for introducing me to the world of tiny flashlights.

I have purchased my first Tiny light and I chose the Fenix UC02SS over the Nitecore TIP.
I preferred the UI and light output of the TIP 2016 version, however the TIP 2016 is almost 4 times larger than the UC02SS.

The UC02SS comes with a necklace paracord. and I thought I would be wearing this light like a necklace (hanging the unit) around my neck and the light itself will be tugged neatly and unnoticed into my office attire.
Cool.

But hey, did any of you noticed at the back of Fenix UC02SS box, it states "Design by Mecarmy"... have I bought a Fenix light or an OEM Mecarmy light ?

Anymore ideas ?

fenix1

Newly Enlightened
Firstly thank you Colight and Mightysparrow for introducing me to the world of tiny flashlights.

I have purchased my first Tiny light and I chose the Fenix UC02SS over the Nitecore TIP.
I preferred the UI and light output of the TIP 2016 version, however the TIP 2016 is almost 4 times larger than the UC02SS.

The UC02SS comes with a necklace paracord. and I thought I would be wearing this light like a necklace (hanging the unit) around my neck and the light itself will be tugged neatly and unnoticed into my office attire.
Cool.

But hey, did any of you noticed at the back of Fenix UC02SS box, it states "Design by Mecarmy"... have I bought a Fenix light or an OEM Mecarmy light ?

Anymore ideas ?

Hi proceed5, Fenix has bought the design from Mecarmy, but we use our own circuit design, and assemble the products by ourselves. So the UC02 is a Fenix light. Thanks!

colight

Enlightened

Well, we welcome you then in this new world that we've opened up for you, proceed! :devil: And as far as I am concerned, you've made a great choice! Interesting reply from Fenix, btw. I somehow missed that one, but maybe only because I don't have that good a look at the boxes. Usually I just glance at what I consider are the most important factors, and then discard them. Hope I don't regret that in future.....

proceed5

Enlightened
Hi proceed5, Fenix has bought the design from Mecarmy, but we use our own circuit design, and assemble the products by ourselves. So the UC02 is a Fenix light. Thanks!

Hi Fenix1, thank you for your clarification.
Great stuff this UC02SS . It is pretty bright for such a tiny light. Even in Low brightness it is already enough for night indoor usage.
Never have I thought using a tiny light like this UC02SS would be so much fun.

Got a task for you Fenix1, please get your R&D team to quickly launch more "Flashaholics" products per month. My monthly allocation (budget) for acquisition of Fenixlights is way under-utilised, because Fenix has somehow been a bit too slow with launches.

Please build a high-quality, rechargeable Limited Edition Titanium/Copper/Brass 16340 and 14500 lights with high-end lumen
Please build a high-quality, an optical rechargeable tiny light that has more functions than the UC02SS

A big 'Xie Xie' to you and Fenix

proceed5

Enlightened
Well, we welcome you then in this new world that we've opened up for you, proceed! :devil: And as far as I am concerned, you've made a great choice! Interesting reply from Fenix, btw. I somehow missed that one, but maybe only because I don't have that good a look at the boxes. Usually I just glance at what I consider are the most important factors, and then discard them. Hope I don't regret that in future.....

Thank you for the welcome note Colight :thumbsup:

I always keep the boxes my lights were shipped in. I believe the light with the box, serial number printed on the box, instruction manual, the receipt, is worth a bit of money, down the road, when these things becomes antique ... LOL

Anyway, back to the UC02SS. Let me share my maiden experiences using this light around the house last night and at the work place this morning.
I necklaced my UC02SS and found it to be very useful especially for use in mid-morning visits to the water closet . Compliment to the tiny size of this light, which was in no way obstructive, I accidentally slept with it ... LOL.

Walking to the work place from the dark basement carpark this morning n when walking from my office to the basement carpark after work hours, this light proved to be sufficiently bright and very handy - just pull it out and bite the tiny light and it lights up the paths . (for the first time ever, I did not pull out my usual RC11/RC09 EDC light from my laptop bag and yes I do carry the RC09 and RC11 with the charge USB cable in the bag)

Anymore ideas to introduce or get me induced into ?

colight

Enlightened
Thank you for the welcome note Colight :thumbsup:

I always keep the boxes my lights were shipped in. I believe the light with the box, serial number printed on the box, instruction manual, the receipt, is worth a bit of money, down the road, when these things becomes antique ... LOL

Anymore ideas to introduce or get me induced into ?

:twothumbs You're welcome, proceed, and I'm happy that I/we could (unintentionally) persuade you to join us in this "world". I'm very happy that you're so satisfied with it, as I have been ever since I bought it!

About the boxes - you know, as I was writing that message, I actually thought about exactly the same thing: I should have kept the boxes. Well, now is definitely too late for me. But then again, as I said before, I am restraining myself with force here to NOT become a collector, because I know what that can do to one's pocket! :thinking: I don't have any more specific recommendations for you at the moment, but if I do, I'll surely tell you! ;)

mightysparrow

Enlightened

Cool.

Anymore ideas ?

You're welcome. You've got me looking again at the UC02 - especially now that I know Fenix uses its own driver for it. So, you see we can all influence each other here. It can be very expensive to spend time here!😜

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
I have the Fenix UC02 on my keychain for my truck. I won it here in their monthly give away. It is a nice little flashlight and it is always there when you need it. It puts out a lot of lumens for such a small package and I find that I use it a lot more than I though that I would.

You will notice thst there are few keys on that ring. I keep a main set of keys and a set of keys for each vehicle. It isn't good to have a ton of keys dangling from the ignition. It causes extra wear and tear on the ignition.

Bob

IMG_0739_zpsgn6xpcpb.jpg

colight

Enlightened
I have the Fenix UC02 on my keychain for my truck. I won it here in their monthly give away. It is a nice little flashlight and it is always there when you need it. It puts out a lot of lumens for such a small package and I find that I use it a lot more than I though that I would.

You will notice thst there are few keys on that ring. I keep a main set of keys and a set of keys for each vehicle. It isn't good to have a ton of keys dangling from the ignition. It causes extra wear and tear on the ignition.

Bob

Amen to that! I also believe in having as few things as possible hanging there. This little light hardly adds to the weight, and I'm happy for that.

proceed5

Enlightened
You're welcome. You've got me looking again at the UC02 - especially now that I know Fenix uses its own driver for it. So, you see we can all influence each other here. It can be very expensive to spend time here!

Haha :laughing: tell me about it , the influence into "tiny" lights ... I have just informed my local distributor to restock the UC02SS-Blue colour ... I am gonna get me another one or few of this tiny little beauty :D
It is so small, it is so convenient ... You really need to touch this thing to enjoy it.
This small little buggers are more addictive than the normal 18650 or 16340 lights.

Question:
How do I upload photos to this site ?

Last edited:

LED_Power_Forums

Newly Enlightened
Question:
How do I upload photos to this site ?

Upload your photos to any image hosting sites such as photobucket, imageshack etc; then link them here through the IMG link given there. Then enclose the IMG link with the "Insert Image" here. Good luck trying it out. :)

proceed5

Enlightened
Upload your photos to any image hosting sites such as photobucket, imageshack etc; then link them here through the IMG link given there. Then enclose the IMG link with the "Insert Image" here. Good luck trying it out. :)

Thank you LED_Power_Forums,
I'll go search for an image hosting website :)