Quick safety question regarding Jaxman U1 UV torch

Bronco

Enlightened
I have a Jaxman U1 with the Nichia UV emitter on order that I'll be using to speed the curing time of some Norland 61 adhesive. I've seen several members stress the importance of wearing proper eye protection when using a UV light of this intensity. To that end, will any pair of halfway decent sunglasses (or clear safety glasses with standard UV rated protective lenses) be sufficient to provide the necessary protection? I see that most of the cheap, $9 safety glasses they sell at Home Depot claim to offer protection in the UV spectrum (ostensibly for use outdoors in sunny conditions). Is this sufficient for using the Jaxman, or are there some laboratory grade, UV specific safety glasses that I should be investing in?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hi @Bronco

A brief search of CPF reveals several threads discussing this issue (with advice of varying quality and specificity)

One of the more detailed is here ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?341878-UV-curing-lights-amp-eye-protection

One reason that threads on this particular topic tend to sputter out is that this could be considered safety equipment, and it may be prudent for individuals to determine their own specific needs and suitability.

Hope that is helpful.

Last edited: