LEDs and using at low battery life?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading somewhere on this forum that Surefire incadescent bulbs could be damaged if they are used with a nearly dead battery.

Are there any problems associated with using LED bulbs with batteries that are nearly dead?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, neither type of lamp will suffer damage from low battery voltage. In fact, a constant 10% voltage reduction may increase lamp life by 50%. I believe that the lower voltage offsets the diminished halogen cycle effects, with incandescent lamps, when using old batteries. If I'm wrong about this, will someone, please, correct me?

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, in fact, LEDs will last longer at lower current levels, and are more efficient at lower current levels too.

Lithead

Newly Enlightened
The way it was explained to me way back: at lower voltages the lamp filament does not run hot enough (most often in HOLAs) which can result in "smoking" your lamp (deposit forming on the lamp filaments). This reduces the lamp output and cannot be reversed.

For my regular lights, when the lights start to dim, I slap in new batteries.

As far as an LED is concerned, there is no such problem. LEDs run so much more efficiently at lower voltages you really do get to squeeze most everything out of the 123s.

Anybody else wanna jump in?

L3

Newly Enlightened
Tungsten filaments evaporate more rapidly at higher temperatures produced by increased voltage and power levels. The evaporated metal condenses on the glass envelope, reducing light output.

Rarely are devices harmed by lower levels of voltage or power. Reduced power will, under some circumstances, harm electric motors. Motors with a heavy work load will draw substantially increased current when the applied voltage is reduced to sub-normal values. The increased current causes overheating and possible burn-out. Therefore, in electrical power brownouts it is a good idea to disconnect motor powered appliances, such as refrigerators, furnaces, etc.

Low voltage will not harm LEDs.

Latest posts