How has your flashlight 'saved' you?

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
I don't necessarily mean save your life. But how has having a flashlight saved you a struggle or helped you accomplish something you otherwise wouldn't have been able to?

As a DP/Cinematographer on a film set, my job is to control both the lights and camerawork. There have been several shoots where we have been short one or more lights on set to accomplish a certain look. Thankfully I have always had a flashlight with me that actually provides very good light. Especially with the high CRI models nowadays, I can blast one through some diffusion and have someone hold it for me and it has saved me multiple times in a pinch!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess, I would have to sorta say Yes. I have told/written this story before. It occurred a few years ago. It isn't that crazy. Anyways, me and a friend were borrowing his friends Duck boat going hunting early one morning about 5am. There was no moon out. As we get about 1/2 way through the main channel that is about 1/4 mile long and 10 yards wide in some spots, the engine stalls. And of course the lights go out as they weren't wired to a constant 12 volt source. (I fixed that for him the following day).
So now there are dozens of other hunters heading out of the main channel at full speed coming at us. Keep in mind were in a camouflage boat! I happened to have my new at the time Nitecore EC1 aka Explorer. The one with the Yellow and black side buttons. I quickly flipped it into strobe mode and signaled all the boats coming our way. Several went around before one group stopped and offered help. My buddy found the problem and we were back moving shortly.
Oh, pretty sure we limited out that day. :)

That was the first and has been the last time I used strobe light for any real purpose other than house parties.
Funny part is only a flashaholic would find that story memorable. My buddy knows I have a flashlight problem, and didn't ever comment about the strobe, I guess he probably expected it. lol

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I shared this on Wednesday...I was having a minor operation on my back in a brand new surgery center. Just after he makes the incision, the power went off. No problem, backup generator... which failed almost immediately. Being a paranoid flashaholic, I had my high CRI Zebralight clipped to my hospital gown, and the OR was well illuminated in no time. Power came back in five minutes & life went on. I also had a Quantum D2 on a neck chain as a back-up....

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Heck yeah!
More times than folks would want to read, unless insomnia is an issue...

Finding dropped items that definitely needed to be found both day or night.. (yep light at an angle cast a shadow that helped find the tiny screw in my glasses arm)...
Working on cars, ID-ing small print by adding just the right amount of light to say... a watch repair or a small object.

A crucial connection point of the wiring to a car door.
Windows, locks, mirrors etc did not work because small wires broke off at the connection pins. Tiny little locking clips needed to be unlocked with your smallest precision screwdriver to remove the pins.

They help me inspect stuff at night at work, or take away shadows from diesel powered sunshine machines.

Without a flashlight

With a flashlight

Headlights on my hardhat make it possible to type reports on unlit laptop keyboards.

This guy did not have a headlamp so I lit his keyboard while he typed titles onto a video of a pipe this fiber optic cable mounted camera had just recorded.

This guy could not see inside this deep manhole to the bottom and determine if he had vacuumed it thoroughly. A flashlight lit it for him and he discovered a whole buncha stuff remained.

I found my kids stolen bicycle in deep brush when the flashlight hit a reflector....

Yeah all kindsa stuff.