On the verge, gonna wait a year before more lights

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking at some of the new flashlights beiing introduced at the Shot show. Arc has new models, Surefire looks like it has some very interesting new lights coming out.

I think maybe I'm gonna wait about a year before I buy anything else.

I think Lights using the Luxeons are poised to explode into the Maglight area domain. Maglight is going to have it's butt kicked and may not survive if they don't bring out something innovative THIS year!

I was checking over my ten Surefires (E1e to M6), my 4 ARC's, a surprisingly good SL TwinTask 2L and my most recent purchase an Anglelux....I'm good for a while. I'll just sit back munch some popcorn and watch the fireworks.

If I buy anything it's probibly gonna be from Wayne. This new Light with three 3 watt stars, running off of 4C's is what alot of people using lights professionally will drool over. Plenty of light, common c-cells, Just the right size/shape. Sorry ARC, I don't see the ARC 4 in my future. My LSH-P with a photon III attached to the keyring does everything an ARC 4 does.

GregR

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I waited for two years ('02 & '03) before adding to my personal flashlight inventory. McGizmo provided me a sample Surefire E2 battery tube and LOTC mated to his custom built PR head w/Luxeon III LED in late '03 for eval. I eventually purchased it.

LED technology appears to be moving very quickly and products incorporating this advancement are becoming more prevalent in other lighting applications aside from portable, handheld flashlights.

Numerous fellow members seem to be quick to sample the many offerings not just from the mass makers, but from the very talented CPF members. I realized when I acquired Peter Gransee's first LS offering that it was a mere snippet of greater products that will shortly be available. That was in late '01/very early '02.

My decision to wait was rewarded with McGizmo's PR917*E2; currently the subject of an ongoing review. I can conclude that it is likely the LED equivalent in significance, in what I use this size flashlight for, to the original Surefire 6P/P60 LA combination introduced in the late '80s.

That combination remained a frontrunner in my personal inventory from 1989 to 1997 and has been copied in multitude in the last 5-6 years. It remains a viable illumination tool and a springboard intro for those desiring to step up to a better class of lights.

I waited those two years mainly because I did not find a LS LED flashlight product suitable for my needs. To this day, Don's creation is the only one that I find suitable. Although I have sampled likely most of the many incandescent and LED light products introduced here as well as a few not even on the CPF radar. I have only added the PR917*E2 (and as yet received PR-T917*HAE2) to my inventory.

I've read the several posts about the new offerings by Surefire, Streamlight, and Inova. These are the only major players that interest me at this time. Surefire's innovation will continue to amaze us. Their new offerings at this time are seemingly those existing products that continue to evolve. Inova's frontrunners are overdue and I am eager to sample them as well. Streamlight's "bread and butter" approach drives home its appeal with its Strion; particularly to those such as myself that favor the "no-nonsense," form-follows-function rule with respect to tools used daily in conjunction with making a living. The Strion, if it lives up to the advertisement, will likely replace my Surefire 9N.

I didn't intend to wait two years before purchasing another flashlight. It seemed like the thing to do at the time and I must admit that I was actually waiting for the right LS LED flashlight product to become available. Here we are in '04 and, so far, the only flashlight product that appeals to me as a possible replacement for an old warhorse is another incadescent product. What's that old adage about how "...the more things change, the more they remain the same."

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: On the verge, gonna wait a year before more li

"If I buy anything it's probibly gonna be from Wayne."

That represents a REAL COMMITMENT to wait a year!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think I will wait too, except the SL Junior Lux might ruin my resolve.

Jerry