lmao! i just ruined the lens on my Arc LSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
so the past couple days i've been testing my EDC Arc LSL by taking it into the shower and dropping it in slush.
(it performed flawlessly in all conditions)

so today i was taking some comparison pictures between my EDC LSL and one i'm currently trading, and i notice bubble-fog on the lens.. and so i push on the lens and i can see the bubbles moving around.

so i idiotically assumed it was an extra lens sheet, and i took a tack and tried to peel it off. i tried several times in fact. haha, and i ended up with a scratched up Arc LSL lens! it was just condensation. *sigh*

i'm such a *******.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, sometimes people see a thin sheet of something - but it isn't the plastic, it's an AR coating - it fools people sometimes. It fooled me once, and I screwed up my lens too, but it doesn't affect the beam quality. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

//Dan

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
My LSH-P has a scratch like that. I thought it came with a plastic protector. So one day I wanted to take it off. I just knew I could feel the plastic on the lens but I couldn't seem to get my finger nail under it. Out comes the pocket knife. One big, very noticeable (to me, anyway) scratch later and I figured out there was no lens protector.

Oh, well. I can't see the scratch in the projected beam. But I still know it's there. :-(

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
haha.
aren't we some jackasses? (maybe i'm speaking for myself, ha)

but you're both right, it doesn't effect the beam in the slightest.. thank Gransee for making a near-perfect product i'd say!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

anyone got any fixes to lighten up the scratches?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
so the past couple days i've been testing my EDC Arc LSL by taking it into the shower and dropping it in slush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can`t comment on how to get the scratch out. But I would be concerned about the slush in the shower. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Have you tried a portable heater in the bathroom? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Ken

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Badbeams said:
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I can`t comment on how to get the scratch out. But I would be concerned about the slush in the shower. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Have you tried a portable heater in the bathroom? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Learn to laugh at yourself and you'll always be amused.

I've read that you can use plastic polish to remove the scratches.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used plain old automotive wax (something with very mild polishing compounds) with great success. The nice thing is that the wax helps to give a teeny little bit of protection from minor scratches.

Another option is to replace it with a custom lens from Flashlightlens. I just modified a light for another CPF'er and he asked me to replace the Lexan while I was swapping out the optic for Fraens. Man, what a difference (sorry PG) glass makes. Glass, however, is not for everyone--certainly not for someone who takes his light into the shower and then drops it. Man, I can see the comments from the wife if I ever did this. "First you sleep with your lights, then you take a shower with it..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
If the "bubble" really, really bothers you, read here to fix it.

Some people have tried sticking the ARC in the freezer and heard it sometimes works but I would think the bubble will reappear after the ARC warms back up.

jpeg

Enlightened
I've used baking soda toothpaste on a Q-tip and stuck it in my drill. It's a quick cheap buffer for plastic lenses and such.

simbad

Enlightened
I want to order a Arc Lsh, is it that version with a tight beam?, because is that what I need, and I would like to know if is the model with the tail cap switch , as it comes from the factory.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah. the LSH is the one with the tighter beam. and it comes with the clickie tailcap and runs on a single 123 lithium battery.

thanks for the ideas yall.

Status
Not open for further replies.