Are headlamps less reliable?

What kinds of lights have had more problems?

• This is why i choose the bigger old school normal lights

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am rough on my lights and they don't last long no matter what i do

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MX421

Enlightened
Maybe its just me, but I've had more headlamps fail than regular lights. For instance, i now have multiple Armytek and Zebralights as well as one Fenix Headlamp. I've only had two Zebralights go out on me and both were headlamps (H602w and now the less than one month old H53c).

As for Armytek, i was so impressed by the durability of the Barracuda i first got from them, that i got quite a few lights of theirs (most of their line-up). However, when i tried to get a headlamp from them to try out for certain taks (i really like their magnet in the Pro version tailcaps and use it for multiple things), I've had 3 out of the four i've gotten on separate occasions have issues with them.

So in summary, up until this point, I've had a 67% sucess rate for the Zebralight headlampsand the Armytek, i've had a 25% sucess rate in getting a workable light. On the other hand, I've had a 100% sucess rate with my Fenix headlamp, but it doesn't get much use since I got my Zebralights, so i won't count that.

Granted, i tend to use the headlamps more since i've found that the hands free aspect very useful, but we are led to believe that these thingsstill these things are supposed to be more durable

Anybody else had worse luck with headlamps than regular lights?

DRAWs

Newly Enlightened
i think because they have thinner body and head to preserve weight and therefore it can reduces the heat sinking which can overheat the component.
sorry for bad english :whistle:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I treat and use all my tools & equipment for their designated purpose and don't abuse them or throw them around. Consequently my stuff lasts a long long time.

All my lights have glass lenses, I treat them accordingly and they are in great shape. Dropping lights nearly never happen for me. The only light I had fail was due to my negligence to change the batteries...I have learned from my error and it won't happen again.

MX421

Enlightened
I treat and use all my tools & equipment for their designated purpose and don't abuse them or throw them around. Consequently my stuff lasts a long long time.

I do the same, i don't drop lights that often (hardly actually). Both the Zebras and AT lights are potted, so the few drops they see should not be an issue. I actually drop the regular lights (SC63w) more than my headlamps. Take the H53c for example, it has been pocket carried almost the entire time I've had it and hasn't ever been dropped. Yet, it crapped out on me in a month. The first Wizard i bought had UI issues the the dealer said they had never seen before. The last wizard i got (Hi CRI) gave out completely after a couple months of use.

Maybe the less mass thing is the deal. Less protection from either the heat sinking issues or any drops. That doesn't explain why my SC52 and SC63 have outlasted my H53c and H602w (that one lasted just under a year).