Olight H2R Nova: Unboxing & Hands-on

Mr Baz

Newly Enlightened

I am still working on the review I will be including tests on the battery, charging etc and of course beam shots etc. Takes time to do that properly but making good progress
If you have any questions fire away!

proceed5

Enlightened
Thank you Mr Baz for the informative overview video.

The light actually looks good. The anodisation looked spot on. The box that this thing comes in speaks premium.
That 2-way clip is nice and should not tear a hole in the pants.
Soft On and UI is typical Olight which is nice.
Magnetic holder is a welcoming addition (hope they sell these separately too so that we may also buy some for our H1 & H1R's)
Hmmm, I think the downside would be Another variant of customised battery that we all have to pay extra for (am wondering if the Batteries from the X7 could hold Turbo without tripping ..)

Thanks again Mr Baz for your effort in rushing out this overview of the H2R.

proceed5

Enlightened
Here's Mr.Baz's Review of the Olight H2R Nova:

Thank you Mr.Baz for your time and effort in reviewing the H2R.
Your review is thorough.
You have convinced me that I should go order one tomorrow.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
wait, 10 seconds of high then 750 lumens, really?

FAIL

Well it's 2300 lumens on turbo.not only would it get WAY hot at that level in such a small light but your battery would be dead in no time flat. Think it's kinda like if you need to check something out to identify real quick. Hds lights were set up like this.in the real world it works great.

Zonk

Newly Enlightened
Will CR123A batteries work in the non-turbo modes in the H2R Nova? If so, any estimate of the run times?

Will Olight's 3.6V 3600 mAh 18650 (for High Drain Devices) work in the H2R? If so, could you expect longer run times in the non-turbo modes? Also, how would the Turbo mode work with that 3600mAh High Drain battery? (I realize that that 3600 mAh battery cannot be recharged inside the H2R.)

Zonk

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed the Olight also makes a 3600mAh CUSTOMIZED high drain 18650. I assume the run times would be about 20% greater in all modes with the 3600mAh than with the 3000mAh Customized that comes with the flashlight and that the 3600mAh CUSTOMIZED could also be charged while in the H2R. I also assume Olight's 3600mAH CUSTOMIZED would run in the turbo mode same or bettter than the 3000mAh CUSTOMIZED. Please let me know if I am correct.

Last edited:

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I just noticed the Olight also makes a 3600mAh CUSTOMIZED high drain 18650. I assume the run times would be about 20% greater in all modes with the 3600mAh than with the 3000mAh Customized that comes with the flashlight and that the 3600mAh CUSTOMIZED could also be charged while in the H2R. I also assume Olight's 3600mAH CUSTOMIZED would run in the turbo mode same or bettter than the 3000mAh CUSTOMIZED. Please let me know if I am correct.

Just guessing here, but The 3000 mAh probably has higher Amps than the 3600 mAh cell, so the 3000 mAh cell may be better for the turbo modes, and the 3600 mAh cell should run longer on the lower modes but may not hit turbo.

proceed5

Enlightened
Just guessing here, but The 3000 mAh probably has higher Amps than the 3600 mAh cell, so the 3000 mAh cell may be better for the turbo modes, and the 3600 mAh cell should run longer on the lower modes but may not hit turbo.

From Mr Baz's video tests, it does seem the H2R's Turbo mode draws very high Amperage. Suspect the H2R battery to be an IMR.
And yes, when I finally get my H2R, I am planning to use my existing Olight Customised 3600mAh cells (from my S30R-II) for use in the H2R without the Turbo functions.

Not sure that the 3600mAh battery would return better runtimes, if this was what you're asking.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
From Mr Baz's video tests, it does seem the H2R's Turbo mode draws very high Amperage. Suspect the H2R battery to be an IMR.
And yes, when I finally get my H2R, I am planning to use my existing Olight Customised 3600mAh cells (from my S30R-II) for use in the H2R without the Turbo functions.

Not sure that the 3600mAh battery would return better runtimes, if this was what you're asking.

That sounds like it should work out for you that way. I was just trying to say that if you don't plan on using the turbo mode then the 3600 mAh cell is probably better than the 3000 mAh cell since it is most likely going to have the amps for the lower modes and with the added benefit of an extra 600 mAh of capacity for longer run times.

proceed5

Enlightened
That sounds like it should work out for you that way. I was just trying to say that if you don't plan on using the turbo mode then the 3600 mAh cell is probably better than the 3000 mAh cell since it is most likely going to have the amps for the lower modes and with the added benefit of an extra 600 mAh of capacity for longer run times.

Agreed.
I think Maukka in his recent review of this light has confirmed that using a 18650GA (3500 mAh) battery, this light produces it highest efficiency per lumen.