how many people can accept a $100 flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntfish

Newly Enlightened
There are so many flashlight with different price, from low to high. I wonder what the people use a $100 flashlight to do?

nbp

Flashaholic
I use Haikus, TinyDC, HDS etc. for anything and everything and those are considerably more than $100, so I would use a $100 flashlight for any purpose I could need a flashlight for. Good flashlights are made to be used!! No shelf queens here.

Mattj96

Newly Enlightened
The more I think I will actually need my light for whatever task I'm undertaking, the more I gravitate towards my higher end lights. I find that if you spend 100+ on a light, it will be very reliable and effective, and more often than not, an expensive light will have a good warranty. So, more expensive lights make better user lights in my opinion. My pretty little brass and copper cheaper lights are usually my shelf queens. For instance, my malkoff sees a lot more hard use than my lumintop cu tool, despite just the head on my malkoff being triple the price of the toolCU.

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
been carrying a muyshodnt aeon in my pocket . a hds rotary on my belt which i use for my job(plumbing) and side pocket is a secondary hds high cri for more accurate color identification. so just in my pockets there's what.... almost 1k value of lights ? plus at least on hds is on me at all times when i go out with the family.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
I'm okay with $250-$300 lights. I don't have any but I'd still consider them as tools. Beyond that price point you are getting more into a light as a work of functioning art. Much like knives, cars, shoes--there's just a point where the value becomes not solely based on function.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
The same things you'd use a $50 flashlight to do. My first serious light other than the old incan Surefires I already had since the mid nineties was an Olight M21. I paid $120 for it. I used it at work for a year before upgrading to an XM-L light.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote: "how many people can accept a $100 flashlight"
Probably one-quarter of the people who can accept a $50 flashlight. Or four times as many people who can accept a $200 flashlight.

Quote: "I wonder what the people use a $100 flashlight to do?"
Probably fifty percent more of what they use a $50 flashlight to do. Or to do one-quarter of what they use a $200 flashlight to do.

-------------
This topic is about something. What?

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The noctigon meteor m43 is around $129. If you have farmland or pastures, you can light pretty much everything on turbo. If you're on a boat, the Tn42 will light up that buoy for you almost a mile away. If you have a compulsive personality and no night job, you pretty much buy them just to admire the power and ingenuity of them

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Same thing I do with a $12 flashlight, a $25 flashlight or an $80 flashlight... make light in darkness but....

In the case of my +$100 lights they were made in small quantities by the owner or a trusted friend/family member from everything possible domestic parts n pieces...

Oh, and I know that come life or death scenarios they can be counted on to perform their intended role.

There are some great flashlights being made overseas these days, but not very many are as rugged and reliable as those US made ones.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't and wouldn't spend that much for a flashlight. If it was a needed accessory for my profession where my life might depend on it I might...but then I would probably just carry (2) $50 lights instead. I am not rough on my stuff and only use tools for designated purposes, consequently most things I have last a very long time.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
It's about perspective. Over here, a light that's $80 in the US would cost the equivalent of $150 here, where the average annual income is lower than in the US.

An Olight S1R is very near $100.

I pay it because I know I get quality.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest most of the lights that I have bought that were under $50 did not stand up to the abuse I give my lights as a plumbing HVAC Tech. It wasn't until I started buying higher end lights that I found they would last for years upon years without fail. I would pay for a hundred dollar light without blinking an eye. It's that worth it to me.

Some of my co-workers thought I was crazy until I gifted them lights and now they will never go back to standard lesser quality lights.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I peruse this thread, I realize that I've been desensitized to the cost of my flashlight hobby. In my mind, a $100 light is a budget item. I'm not a rich guy, but I have rich tastes.

Krumbbs1976

Newly Enlightened
I work night security and I know all of our Surefires cost well over $100.. How often we drop them sometimes from pretty good heights.. we don't actually hit people with them, at least so far! but it's a good intimidation tool to keep people from jumping on you ..but it has to be really durable just in case that happens.. So security definitely you need a good light and most of those are well over a hundred because they have to be rechargeable.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Y'all consider the prices before you buy? Lame.

Lol. I am different. Some people spend (blow) money on booze and women. I spend it on all of the aforementioned things and lights. Well my women are my family. Lol It's what makes one happy. FWIW the kids seem to enjoy the lights as much as, than if not more, than me. So it's all good.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a $600 light and immediately started carrying it daily. I figure because I spent the money I have to get my money's worth and use it.

glimmer

Newly Enlightened
There are lots of great lights in every price range. You don't have to spend $100 to get a great light, but my last two purchases were over that amount. A quality light will last a long time, so it's worth it if you can afford it. I've got some old flashlights that I just retired, and some are 20-30+ years old, and have travelled to many countries. They still work fine, but have simply become obsolete.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
FWIW the kids seem to enjoy the lights as much as, than if not more, than me. So it's all good.
A big thing in my book. I took my 3-year old on a night-time stroll last weekend, I let her carry the "small light" (S1) while I carried a bigger one. The way they marvel at everything they light up is amazing. Of course she dropped it, but I knew it would be okay if she did.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a $600 light and immediately started carrying it daily. I figure because I spent the money I have to get my money's worth and use it.

That's gotta be the BOSS, right? Or a custom? Nah, you got the boss, didn't you? Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.