Pocket UV lights?

utomatoe

Enlightened
Any reccommendations for pocket UV lights? I'm picking up a couple from ebay right now, a few bucks, worth a try, they are photon look-a-likes. Anyone have any experience with any pocket UV lights from eBay?

paulr

Flashaholic
Sure, why not, what are you going to do with it anyway? Those coin cell ones are just a few bucks apiece and are ok to fool around with. If you want a more serious one, there's a version of the Inova X5T with five UV leds for around $60.

utomatoe

Enlightened
Dunno, see what glows under UV light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It makes for a cheap money check light, seems like there is a rash of small denomination bill counterfeiting going on...

Although, some of the fakes have the UV ink too.. hmm... haha, it'd be neat to see in either case. Hey just a few bucks right? I'll pretend I drink coffee and not buy one tommorrow morning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I want to play with a uv light too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif i've been looking at the inova x5 uv as well as the inova uv microlight...

lightemup

Flashaholic*
All this Arc talk - I wanna be part of this action /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ! Are all (pocket) UV lights created equal or do some perform better than others (sorry if this is a mini hijack utomatoe)?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mod a Dorcy AAA with a 5mm UV, i made one and it works great (cheap too). I use it to charge up my GITD epoxy rings on my other lights before bed.
Jeff

Mine were listed as 395-405nm. I have seen some newer ones claiming 385nm.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't feel bad about revealing my ignorance, so what does a UV do that a white LED does not?

I am not sure why they are especially desireable.

Jerry

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
JerryM said:
I don't feel bad about revealing my ignorance, so what does a UV do that a white LED does not?

I am not sure why they are especially desireable.

[/ QUOTE ]
UV or near-UV LEDs can light up the normally-invisible security strip in US paper money, they can light up human or animal waste (like sweat and ****) on fabrics like hotel room sheets or dog messes on carpeting, they can be used like "blacklite bulbs" to light up black light posters and such, they can be used to detect / find UV security measures in stamps, official papers, bank cards, etc., and more. Plus, they are just fun to have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I wonder why I don't have one? HMMM. Maybe I better get with the program.

Jerry

stockwiz

Enlightened
I use an ultraviolet pen to mark valuables for identification purposes. Invisible to the naked eye, visible when exposed to UV light.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just tried to buy the UV LEDs from ebay (BestHongKong) and could not complete the transaction because you need a credit card linked to your Paypal account. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Can't fault me for not trying. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

jpeg

Enlightened
Just an anecdote...

I just got an INOVA X5 UV and have spent the weekend looking for applications so I can explain the purchase to my wife... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
I found a few applications that I havent seen mentioned, and thought I'd add them here..

If you're a rock hound, you can bring it with you to help find neat rocks.
Peter Gransee of ARC says he uses his to find scorpions, which apparently flouresce...
I also found that it causes plaque (on teeth) to glow red. (Watch your eyes though) It's kind of gross, but really helps you see where your brushing habits need improving. I would have a hell of a lot less metal in my mouth if I knew about this when I was younger. Of course I'd also probably be blind... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

This is kind of gross, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif but I picked up an athlete's foot type of fungus in Mexico, and I noticed that it too flouresces red under UV. The neat thing is that I can see if the foot powder I'm using is doing anything to kill it over time, also since UV kills fungus, the very act of looking at it also helps to kill those little commie *******s. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Looking up medical applications of UV on the web, I noticed that several skin affecting micro-organisms flouresce; i.e., ringworm, tinea versacolor etc... So it would be a quick way to diagnose what is going on with you or your pets or kids or friends or whatever...

One last thing, if you have access to any diamonds, you can check to see if they flouresce. If you are buying a diamond ring or ear rings for your wife/girlfriend, bring a UV light with you... If everything else is the same between two diamonds, the one's that DON'T flouresce are purer, and thus more valuable than those that do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

If y'all find anything else that UV is good for let me know... I'm still working on that explination before the American Express bill comes in... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hope this helps some of you to rationalize the purchase... Bottom line UV is fun, and that yellow warning sticker on the X5 just makes me feel dangerous... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

jpeg

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
WildRIce said:
GITD epoxy rings

[/ QUOTE ]
Your design, or do you purchase them somewhere? Pix please... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
50% glow powder in 90 second epoxy. I removed the rubber thingy off the head and filled with the GITD stuff.
IMAG0009.JPG

Jeff

jpeg

Enlightened
Noyce!!! I've got some glow powder that's been waiting for an application like this... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

What brand epoxy do you use?

For those who are a little hesitant to smear epoxy on their light, there's always glow in the dark nylon cord which makes a killer lanyard. (Though I assume it doesn't glow as long as the super-glow powder used with the epoxy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif