Arc4+ second booted from EDC :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greymage

Enlightened
I tried to use this as my EDC for a couple of days, but finally gave it up and went back to my LS-1. The Arc4 is too big, requires the clip to attach a split ring, and turns on by itself. (I carry light on keychain in pocket).

I really liked the multiple brightnesses and auto-brightness decrease on battery low, but I wasn't willing to pay the penalty in size.

It would be nice to see a new, brighter light in the old, twisty case. Features are nice, but size matters! I hope Arc or someone else focuses on the tiny light market.

paulr

Flashaholic
Maybe you really want a Firefly. The Arc4 is designed for maximum throw, so there's no way around the big reflector.

Greymage

Enlightened
I just posted a WTB for a Firefly. It does look like it has a nice form factor. Too bad I wasn't paying attention here when they were getting built.

It's odd that they're black rather than HA. I guess I need to go look for those old design discussions to find out why.

Catdaddy

Enlightened
I find myself going back to the old Arc LSF-P style. It just feels better in my hand when turning on and off and is much easier to hold. The multiple brightness settins on the Arc4+ are nice, but once the newness wore off, I am back to the smaller LS. I thought I was the only one.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
paul, i don't think the arc4 was designed to have "maximum throw", i think it was designed to have a nice beam that throw further than the old ls series. to say it was designed to have maximum throw implies that it was designed to throw a thin beam for far distances, but have no sidelight for close distances.
i think the arc4 reflector was designed to be a useful beamspread, more throw than the old ls series, but not "maximum throw" to the extent that it is inneffective for normal work...

paulr

Flashaholic
The next batch of Arc4's will apparently have knurling on the head, which will improve the grip. I have the clip on mine, so the knurling doesn't matter that much, but I guess it can be a problem without the clip. The flared switchguard tailcap in progress is another way to fix the problem. I do think the Arc4 looks better without knurling.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i agree with you guys:

i've found i prefer to use my Arc4+ as an "around the house" light instead of an EDC because it's a bit too big and turns on too easily.

my EDC is a Firefly with a MM+WO Lux3-T sandwich.

as a back up to it, i keep handy my old Arc LSH-P with a hi/low beam spring by gadget lover.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
I'm happily carrying mine on my keys, but I agree it seems little big. I think much of the size, both objective and perceptive, comes from the clip and how everything has to move up and over to get around it. I'm hoping that the tailcap with split ring attatchment solves the problem. Don't see how it can hurt.

Deanster

Enlightened
I'm not an Arc4 owner, and likely won't be, in large part because I'd already made a similar determination about even the regular TSP on the LSH-P.

When dusk falls, what goes in my pocket is my LSL-P, with a twisty. I find the LSL beam (soft transition from center to edge) to be perfect for close-in (<20') uses, and more than bright enough for nearly everything I do.

I'm very sensitive about what's in my pockets - the extra length and weight of the kroll-based tailcaps moved my LSH-P into my daily carry bag.

The size, weight and some other issues will surely keep the Arc4 out of my pocket for a while, although a Arc4 second might find it's way into my bag to replace the LSH-P eventually (I'll wait for knurling, tail guard, and whatever other mods come through).

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess this just goes to show you can't please everyone. I do agree about the old twistie 123 giving a nice little package and the low domes having a nice beam for up close work. However, there are probably just as many who say they prefer a longer package for "grippability" and those that say throw is king. What we really need is a telescoping flashlight with adjustable Leica lens for variable throw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course it would make the $180 price tag of the Arc4+ seem pale in comparison. No matter, the Arc4+ has become the EDC flashlight to beat for me and I doubt anyone can come close to its capabilities in a *production* type light, at least not in the near future. Of course a modded light is a different story but those are probably as plentiful as the Arc4X's

CM

kaseri

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
adjustable Leica lens for variable throw
CM

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I need one of these to compliment my Leica cameras. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sprocketman

Newly Enlightened
I just sent my ARC 4 second back, for mostly the same reasons others have noted: size, beam, switch. I am using rechargeables, so there is no benefit to having a light that can be dimmer. Eyballing it, the output of my second about matched my LSL-P on level 2. Most people seem to be setting up their primary at level 3, and secondary dimmer than that. The 4 is the sexiest thing around and a fabulous light, and the software controls are a real kick, but my LSL is smaller and has the beam I need for close up tasks. It rarely turns on by itself and I like twisties better than clickies.

But of course I want it brighter. Of course!

(sig still valid)

carmel

Newly Enlightened
I am finding that I use my Arc4 for specific tasks (by bed at night, when walking at night, to play with), but that when I need to carry a flashlight in my pocket "just in case", I invariably turn to my LSHP with twisty: great light, very small package (and lanyard ring). The Arc4 may be an EDC, but I don't think it's really a pocket EDC.

Regarding the Arc4s tendency to turn on by itself: I'd almost say they should have been shipped with the semi-momentary tactical mode as default: no way it turns on by accident, and you get used to double-clicking to change brightness levels anyway.

carmel

paulr

Flashaholic
Rather than a zoom-like lens, the best way to fix the narrow close-up beam may be to add some smaller leds, like the PT Yukon HL, which uses three small leds in the reflector surrounding its Luxeon. The Surefire A2 and Streamlight Twin Tasks of course do the same thing, with a xenon lamp instead of the Luxeon.

During the early stages of Arc4 discussions, there was a small faction (maybe just me) that lobbied for making the smallest possible light, i.e. something like a Firefly, but Peter felt that the turned-down NX05 optic couldn't have enough throw. I've been EDC'ing the Arc4 some of the time and I don't mind the size (it's way smaller than my cell phone) but I figure it's not that happy a compromise, too big for the tiny-EDC crowd, not bright enough for the brightness-is-everything crowd. We saw from the feeding frenzy over the Arc 4x's that a certain crowd wants as many lumens as they can possibly get. So I think the Arc4's present design would be better served with a Luxeon III and a 2x123 accessory battery pack. It would be ok if the 2 cell pack was needed to get full power for any appreciable length of time. Me, I'd rather have a wider beam, or multiple leds like described above.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x123 is coming down the pipe. I've been asking for this pack since the Arc4's beginnings. I'm not sure a Lux III would be any brighter. I've seen enough 1W and 3W leds driven at 700mA or greater and don't see any difference. Peter even tried some Lux III's (T flux) and they came out no brighter than the Q3J's he had. The Lux III's should be used if they offer a better price/availability for Arc.

As far as the multiple LED's, it's a great idea so keep sqeaking paulr. Peter's right there listening /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and if you squeak long and loud enough, you just may see it hehe. I know the tail guard would not even be considered had Darell not made so much noise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

TheFire

Enlightened
Your other option (for the original poster who wanted something brigher but same size as the Arc LS) is to get a modified LS. Throw a LuxIII, Fraen LP (if you like that), and double the drive current, and you'll have a very nice light that's still the old, smaller form factor you like...

Likebright

Enlightened
Graymage,
I plan to get the new tail guard for my Arc4 when it is out and then clip it to the side of my front pocket and hang my keys down into my pocket with the split ring attachment on the guard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.