Kid's summer camp flashlight?

SunnyOwl

Newly Enlightened
So our granddaughter is going to her first summer camp and we are sending her a care package while she is there. I want to include a good or fun flashlight. She is 10 years old and the camp is in an area that is wooded, has some cliffs, a stream, and of course some open pastures. Because we are mailing this and because everyone should be carrying a personal flashlight in my opinion, I am thinking a handheld type flashlight, but I am open to other styles if people have better thoughts.

She came out while we were camping and she has plans of camping with her dad and us in the future so at that time I gave her a Mpowered Luci, but I am not sure if she is taking that to camp with her or not.

Any thoughts?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ As much as I like those indestructables they tend to be a potentially fail prone light at the switch.

A mini mag 2 aaa will set you back about the same as that Rayovac and is pretty reliable. And contrary to popular belief the alkalines likely won't leak during her stint at camp.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ As much as I like those indestructables they tend to be a potentially fail prone light at the switch.

A mini mag 2 aaa will set you back about the same as that Rayovac and is pretty reliable. And contrary to popular belief the alkalines likely won't leak during her stint at camp.

Or how about a pk-pl2?

sgt253

Enlightened

+1 ( or Mini Mag AA)

camelight

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam jet mk i
It's 1 aa 130lm flashlight (has more than 1 mode) inexpensive small
Look for reviews for more information as i don't own one

And for runtime just bring more batteries 4 aa will last easly for a night and it won't take a lot of space

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little off the beaten path, but how about the new Petzl Tikkina headlamp?

The older model has two modes, 20 or 80 lumens. The newer model has more practical spacing at 5 / 100 / 150 lumens.

Otherwise, any basic AA flashlight will work - particularly if she manages to misplace it at camp.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would still use lithium primaries, just for the extended run time. Some extra cells in a Storacell caddy would probably be a good idea as well. I would also recommend a fauxton or Photon II/Micro to be put on a lanyard or clipped to a jacket/pack/whatever, just as a backup light and for when a very dim light is needed, like looking for something in a shared tent/cabin.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Last year three of my grandchildren went to a 2 week camp. Oldest one was 10, the others , 8 and 9. I got them a pack of three LED flashlights from Costco, fairly simple lights with a low and high mode. They did well with them, bringing them home without a loss. I can not suggest any flashlight for a youngster that is not a simple flashlight.

Bill

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also one that is not too bright. So far as I can tell, ALL kids love to shine a light in someone else's face at least once. Doing that with a too bright light can actually cause eye damage, and we all know how well they would listen if we just told them not to do that.