Manker E02 Cree XPG3 OR Nichia 219C ????

Witterings

Enlightened
Looking at getting one of the above, does anyone happen to know if the Cree XPG3 is more of a Cool or a Neutral White .... I appreciate the Nichia will probably be a lot warmer whichever it is.

Generally for dog walking etc I prefer something a bit warmer as it's easier on the eye but tend to use an 18650 with longer run time for that so this will more be used more for searching in a poorly lit loft and garage and anything that requires 2 free hands as will be using it with a head band.

I don't mind a "cooler" tint for a more functional light but would much prefer circa 5000 rather than 6500k where you start getting a very distinct dazzling blue.

If anyone happens to know roughly where these fall would be much appreciated???

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I would always go with the highest CRI version of any given light and cool white would never be on my radar, not even if the cool offering was double the lumens of the neutral or Nichia 219....but that is just me.

Last edited:

sc00ts19

Newly Enlightened
If you tend to prefer warmer lights I'd go with the sure thing 219 and not risk it since you don't need the extra lumens due to your 18650 lights.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but what are you planning to use for a headband? That's the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on a 219 e02 right now.

Witterings

Enlightened
If you tend to prefer warmer lights I'd go with the sure thing 219 and not risk it since you don't need the extra lumens due to your 18650 lights.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but what are you planning to use for a headband? That's the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on a 219 e02 right now.

I was thinking similar but the cooler white lights generally seem to offer greater clarity and if it's to do a job / looking for something in some ways it may be better but I do agree with your thinking that I have "Brighter Lights" for when needed and hadn't thought about in that way.

I currently have one of these and am 90% sure it'll fit
https://www.patrolstore.com/Nite-Ize-AA-Torch-Headband---Black-p-683.html

They're designed for torch on the side but there's absolutely no reason it can't just be swivelled round for a front mounted light ... that said i reckon you could make one for a couple of quid with a bit of material, velcro and some elastic cut to size.

sc00ts19

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking similar but the cooler white lights generally seem to offer greater clarity and if it's to do a job / looking for something in some ways it may be better but I do agree with your thinking that I have "Brighter Lights" for when needed and hadn't thought about in that way.

I currently have one of these and am 90% sure it'll fit
https://www.patrolstore.com/Nite-Ize-AA-Torch-Headband---Black-p-683.html

They're designed for torch on the side but there's absolutely no reason it can't just be swivelled round for a front mounted light ... that said i reckon you could make one for a couple of quid with a bit of material, velcro and some elastic cut to size.

Sounds like a great solution, thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Enlightened
Looking at getting one of the above, does anyone happen to know if the Cree XPG3 is more of a Cool or a Neutral White .... I appreciate the Nichia will probably be a lot warmer whichever it is.

Generally for dog walking etc I prefer something a bit warmer as it's easier on the eye but tend to use an 18650 with longer run time for that so this will more be used more for searching in a poorly lit loft and garage and anything that requires 2 free hands as will be using it with a head band.

I don't mind a "cooler" tint for a more functional light but would much prefer circa 5000 rather than 6500k where you start getting a very distinct dazzling blue.

If anyone happens to know roughly where these fall would be much appreciated???

The XP-G3 in that one is a standard cool white and the Nichia is close to 4000K.

sc00ts19

Newly Enlightened
Is that the buy one in the link or you'll make your own as you're a dab hand with a needle and thread :p

I have been known to dabble in the sewing arts, but for $8.29 I can't go wrong with the nite ize!

7274Amc.jpg

proceed5

Enlightened
Hi there Witterings,

I have the E02 CW version that came in XPG3 LED. There's Tint shift, the center spot area is white but the spill light is blueish especially near the sides.
Perhaps going for the Nichia version may be better.