Fenix LD12 2017 Review

Uke1

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

So in the past I've posted flashlight reviews over on British Blades, but that forum seems to have been down for some time now so I thought I'd post over here and have a look around whilst I'm at it, hopefully learning a thing or two!

Well, I posted a review of the old LD12 way back in 2013 singing its praises and I still carry that same light to this day! It's a favourite of mine and has really stood the test of time. So I was very interested when Fenix said they'd send me the new LD12 2017 in exchange for a review. I've been using the new model now since January and long story short - the LD12 2017 is still a great light, but in all honesty I actually prefer the older model. If you're interested why then here is a bit of a ramble and some photos...

Old LD12 on left, LD12 2017 on right:

FbXmW1Z.jpg

So at first glance the new LD12 feels very familiar to the light I know and love. It's a similar size, shape and UI. Right off the bat though I noticed Fenix have changed a couple of things besides the light itself... 1 - they no longer include a sheath, and 2 - the lanyard is flimsier.

The included sheath was always a nice touch in my book and despite not being as durable and overbuilt as something from the likes of Surefire or Maxpedition, my old Fenix sheaths have served me well and haven't fallen apart on me in almost 4 years of continued use. Losing the sheath feels like a step backwards...

jFqQ1r3.jpg

Old lanyard left, 2017 lanyard right:

RQ0HVF8.jpg

The new lanyard is smaller, which whilst nice in terms of keeping the size down, feels less secure than the old lanyard. Its a small point, but I'd be lying if I didn't say the thinner thread didn't immediately jump out at me. I've actually purchased several of the old Fenix lanyards for other non-Fenix lights and I also have one permanently attached to my wallet!

So on to the light itself. It's the same great fit and finish I've come to expect from Fenix. Clean grippy knurling, nice anodising, smooth threads...

xJFcphv.jpg

Whilst being a shade heavier than its predecessor at 56g (old version 54g) it manages to be a touch shorter and more compact. Size comparison with the older LD12 and the classic Surefire 6P for scale...

From top to bottom - Surefire 6PLED, Fenix LD12 2017, Fenix LD12:

JV15vrO.jpg

However, on closer inspection of the light's body I've noticed a few frustrating choices on the newer version. First off, the tail no longer detaches. Again, this might be a small point for some, but to me its a step in the wrong direction when on the original LD12 you can unscrew both the head and the tail...

CmrzgpT.jpg

...regardless of whether or not you want to get in and mess about with the tailcap for maintenance or what have you, I prefer to be able to unscrew the tail to prevent accidental activation, instead of unscrewing the head. Whilst on the subject of the tailcap, you still cannot tailstand the LD12. This would have been a welcome improvement but the tailstand ability is still lacking. The tailswitch still works in the same way, full click for on and off, soft press for momentary on.

z9zbImt.jpg

Now my biggest gripe with the new design...the changes to the headswitch...

Old LD12 Headswitch:

6FCJGER.jpg

New LD12 2017 Headswitch:

0xLAKVb.jpg

Before I get on to the switch itself note how the old head had an angular hardware-nut-esque section just behind the switch so that the light can be set down at any angle without rolling over. The new design lacks this entirely, swapping this for an almost oval-like section surrounding the switch that will stop the light rolling away but won't hold it in position, instead letting it rock back and forth. Again this might seem minor and would probably be unnoticeable if I hadn't used the original for so many years, but in actual use this just feels like a frustrating step backwards. The beauty of the LD12 to me was its eminent functionality at every corner. Speaking of which, the original head switch really won me over to the LD12. Holding the light in a hammer grip with my thumb on the tailswitch, my little finger could find the grippy rubber headswitch in complete darkness in a split second with a quick twist of the light in my hand...

rWl7wRA.jpg

...whilst the new small round silver metal switch may look a bit slicker in photos, it certainly is 'slicker' quite literally in use. My fingers never find it when they need to as it blends in with the rest of the body when quickly searching for it by touch. After months of trying to convince myself otherwise, the old rubber headswitch is far more functional in use. Maybe its less durable and that is why the change was made? I don't know, but my LD12 with rubber headswitch from 2013 is still going strong despite almost daily use. This is a deal breaker for me and the main reason that I'll be continuing to carry my old version from 2013 and that the LD12 2017 now lives in my wife's handbag!

LD12 2017 in the hand:

VKQ5sO3.jpg

1wVz1IV.jpg

eBcj9H0.jpg

So yeah, I'm less than impressed with the ergonomic / aesthetic changes to the LD12. The output however has also seen some changes...

LD12 2017 stats:

Tf6NjX0.jpg

Old LD12 stats:

wtbi4x7.jpg

The LD12 2017 uses a Cree XP-G2(R5) neutral white LED with a lifetime of 50,000 hours. Here is a look close up...

6DxJmmb.jpg

c6EfOF0.jpg

Now, what you personally want out of your outputs may be different, so this is all a bit subjective I suppose, but despite some increases in brightness the 2017 model doesn't redeem itself for me here. For the relatively small increase in brightness it seems you're losing a fair bit of runtime.

Here are some brightness comparison shots at each level running on AA Eneloops...

9bMBUl2.jpg

...as a functional AA EDC light the difference in brightness has been barely perceptible to my eye over the last few months of use, and looking at those stated runtimes certainly not worth losing runtime over.

The difference is a bit more noticeable outdoors but still pretty negligible in actual use when not making a direct comparison. Tree out at approx 40ft:

QQFDV0c.jpg

The Cree XP-G2(R5) of the 2017 version has a much warmer tint and a less clearly defined 'edge' to its hotspot (LD12 2017 on left, old LD12 on right):

eoqQgwk.jpg

The LD12 2017 does have the added benefit of being able to use a 14500 rechargeable, so maybe I'm missing a trick there. Running on Eneloops though for EDC, the changes in output don't save the 2017 model for me.

All in all the LD12 2017 is still a great light that I'd be happy to carry, it just isn't going to knock the older version out of my hand. The new changes to its design have made it that little bit less functional for me to use, and the step backwards in included accessories makes me feel that there is less bang for your buck when compared to the older model. Many thanks to Fenix for letting me try out the new version gratis, but 4 years on and my original LD12 still does its job for me better than any other AA light I own, and it doesn't look like it will be getting retired any time soon.

sMUfOL3.jpg

Well I hope that someone finds this useful. Cheers for now!

Uke

Last edited:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to more honest and informative reviews. Thank you for posting!

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review! I have been EDCing mine for about two months or so and like everything about it except the jump in output between the high mode and turbo mode when using a 14500. A lot of times I find the high mode insufficient but the turbo mode blinding. I have not hardly used an eneloop as I have read previous comments about the turbo mode on an eneloop not being very well regulated.

Uke1

Newly Enlightened
Nice review! I have been EDCing mine for about two months or so and like everything about it except the jump in output between the high mode and turbo mode when using a 14500. A lot of times I find the high mode insufficient but the turbo mode blinding. I have not hardly used an eneloop as I have read previous comments about the turbo mode on an eneloop not being very well regulated.

I've been running Eneloops exclusively for the past few months and haven't noticed any issues. I should try out using a 14500 one of these days and have a play with that crazy turbo! I was going to try them with my Eagletaac D25A Clicky a while back so I guess I now have two excuses to give them a go! :)

Thank you for the review! I like it though with its neutral tint and flexibility in accepting AA batteries.

No problem! Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great EDC, I just really prefer the older version. If my trusty LD12 from 2013 ever dies on me it'll be replaced by the LD12 2017, just with a sad look on my face!