Over the Ear Reading Light

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
I have been searching the forums and searching amazon trying to find a light I can put on my ear for reading. I have some vision issues that mean I need a well lit environment for reading... or an led light. Amazon has a few that could work but I would really prefer a rechargeable light. Does anyone know of a good over the ear reading light or of a way to mount a light like the fenix uc01 or dqg tiny over the ear? None of the ones on amazon are rated more than 2.5 stars and all use ag10 or other non-rechargeable batteries. Thanks guys!

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a few in a box of cereal during a Star Trek marketing campaign. I always wondered how they got away with putting alkaline batteries in a box of cereal

On a local note, I picked up a pair of reading glasses for my wife with lights in the temple at staples.

Last edited:

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
That is a possibility but I'm not sure how I would keep it balanced with just one side of the glasses ?

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
Archimedes, I'm not sure what you're asking but what I meant is that I wouldn't want to wear a full set of glasses to make this work, there other to be a way to do it with just one ear. Does anyone know of anything that swivels and could be attached easily to one of the 10180 lights uc01), this would allow me to direct where the light points, then maybe I could glue it to the ear hook of a Bluetooth headset maybe

archimedes

Flashaholic
I was mostly joking, that you could attach a tiny flashlight to both temples. And if one failed, or its battery ran out, the other would serve as a backup.

Not the pinnacle of humor, I suppose, but I try :shrug:

If a frame-based solution is too heavy or cumbersome, then I'm out of ideas ... but others may have some good suggestions.

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
I suppose if the headlamp swiveled so that you could adjust the angle then that might work. My concern has been that I would have to bend my neck down pretty far for the headlamp to illuminate something as close as a book

5001craig

Newly Enlightened
I purchased an Olight H15S Wave back in November 2014 and I love it. I think this headlamp would work for you. I would recommend two batteries if you use it on high or even medium for a long time. I use it working on vehicles or any other time I need both hands with a light. The non-touch gesture can be bypassed--I almost always bypass this feature as it's easy to turn it off inadvertently. Got mine off Amazon.
[h=1][/h]

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aside from a traditional over the shoulder stationary type reading lamp or a dedicated reading nook (area where you can read with dedicated boosted illumination), headlamps offer the ability to read with illumination anywhere and can put the light exactly where you want it. They are light and durable. Have you determined approximately how much light you would need? (10L, 30L etc)

Fenix HL05 or Fenix HL10 (can use a rechargable AAA) are some of the smallest lightest out there, Petzl has a likewise small light but its lowest illumination is 50L which may be too bright for such close quarters.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, I always hands-free my flashlight just under my ear by clipping-to and rolling-in my shirt collar. Works great for reading.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sometimes clip a Nitecore T360 to my eyeglasses frame. It is USB rechargeable, very light and has a floody beam.

Most headlamps tilt downward to varying degrees, so you don't have to tilt your head down.

A head lamp can also be hung around your neck, instead of around your head, upside down, so that it tilts up, but that may not work for reading.