Firefly still available?

utomatoe

Enlightened
Hey guys, just curious if the firefly was still available. I did a search, and I came up with a lifetime worth of results. My gut feeling says no, based on what I could infer...

What another CPF member made lights are available? Haha, my guess is that they get snapped up pretty quickly.

paulr

Flashaholic
There were about 200 Fireflies made. They show up on BST regularly. Right now there are several people looking for them, but that comes and goes. If you hang out for a while and then ask for one, you can probably get one without too much waiting. Of course if there's enough people looking for them that they become really scarce, maybe we can talk Doug into making a second batch...

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I think a majority of the Fireflies that have been showing up on B/S/T are second/third/fourth units people bought as extras and are selling off because they only need one or two. I have only come across a few that are just straight sold, and usually the owners are sad to sell, as most have become very attached to them.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
utomatoe,

Welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

That was also the same light I went after when I first joined!

PM user Dspeck to see if he still has any to sell (he's in Toronto as well), or you could post a WTB in the B/S/T forum.

Regards

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for the record: I have sold all of the first run of Fireflies. However, I will be offering a second run of them starting around the end of the month. They will have a few improvements over the first run, partially based on the feedback from the purchasers of the first run. Nothing too major, but the module will be a Badboy 650, with a 1W HD or a LuxIII in it (I will only be offering it in one of these configurations, due to cost). This will help to clear up some of the greenie colour issues some people had with the LDs. The O-ring will be moved slightly ahead of where it was originally, so that the threads engage before the O-ring contacts the body. And the light will be offered in a HA3 colour I have never seen on any other light... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Cost may be slightly higher, but I am hoping to avoid that if possible.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Dan C

Enlightened
Great news Doug! I have been using what I call the "Firefly Lite". I made a new aluminum center section for two reasons. First, it was the most elegant way to space the optic away from the emitter, which I really like for the high domes. Second, I moved the o-ring groove ahead like you're planning. The aluminum center section made the light significantly lighter, and I am running a MadMax Lite sandwich in it for low heat, efficient lighting. Works great!

Dan C

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
DSpeck,
The Firefly will be available again? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Can I still order one without the pill? If so, I would like to use my BB500 R2H with your cut-down Fraen LP optics. Need to keep a closer watch on this one! Thanks!

Wolfram

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Doug! I can now jump on the bandwagon and do some keeping up with my friends and their first run "fireflys"
Will you post here so I don't miss on these?
Did you consider a dimmer function?

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
DanC - good idea! I know the copper is heavier than aluminum (3x density), but it has better thermal properties, so with the hot MadMax+ in the first run, the copper was the better choice. With the MadMax lite, aluminum seems OK. How are you finding the heat buildup - tolerable?

BentHeadTX - I'll be offering semi- and complete lights again, so your existing sandwich will work.

Wolfram - I'll post a pointer here (to the BST forum) when the sale begins, so you should find the notice whichever forum you check. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dan C

Enlightened
Doug, the aluminum is great with the 'Lite' driver. Get's a little warm and not much more. I use my other one with the original copper when I run my Badboy 750 though! That one's a real branding iron!

Dan C

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
DSpeck,
Will you be turning down an NX-05 or Fraen LP? Although I prefer the Fraen, I will buy it even if you use no optics at all. Thanks again for offering a second run.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
DSpeck-
if you're starting a new Firefly order/waiting list, please put me on for a couple!
thanx

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug:

You might want to think about offering a cutdown NX-05, Fraen LP, or a possible Reflector. I really think there is enough demand to look into offering these items at the time of sale. It would sure help make things easy. If it helps I'll be happy to start off by purchasing one of each!

I think the new HA3 Firefly color is: Light Blue. Am I close?

Oh. BTW. Cough. Brass... Cough..

Brian

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'd suggest losing the copper fitting in the FF REV-2. That copper in REV-1 makes the FF so heavy for it's size that any EDC comfort you'd get from it's small size is lost due to it's heavy weight.

utomatoe

Enlightened
Sounds great! I'm happy that a 2nd run is in the works. What about a limited run for UV LEDs?

What's the most expensive part of the process? Aside from labour, which I'm sure is more hours than I care to count...

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
DSpeck,

Where and how does one sign up to reserve a Firefly? I'm definitely interested, depending on the color(?).