Surefire Aviator...Which One??

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hey everyone!

I have some cash to spend, and some good discount coupons that are about to expire. I have been admiring the new Surefire Aviator flashlights as well as the Surefire Vampire. I trust the quality and durability of Surefire lights, so the only problem is, what color should I get?? What is the benefit of each color? I work in the medical and law enforcement fields...any of the colors have a benefit for my career fields? This would be an EDC and backup work light.

Available colors:

White/red
White/blue
White/amber
White/yellow green
White/IR

Any info and help will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
In my experience, the yellow green would work well with night vision goggles or with your naked eye. Also works okay on most maps. The amber and red will preserve night vision but reading maps can be iffy.

Nephron44

Enlightened
In my experience, the yellow green would work well with night vision goggles or with your naked eye. Also works okay on most maps. The amber and red will preserve night vision but reading maps can be iffy.

Thanks for the info!

I don't wear night vision goggles, and the white light would be used most, so the yellow green is maybe a bit redundant? Maybe I'll go with red...

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am all in on Amber. I have a few lights with Amber as the secondary. Love it. Great for nighttime tactical bathroom/home navigation. I also use it outside at night. ha, Seriously the summer bugs don't fly towards amber. So no bugs in your nose or eyes if you mouth should you so choose to hold your illumination device in said manner.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Nephron, check out this thread of mine from years ago:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mparison-of-LED-colors-(with-pics)&highlight=

Short answer... it depends!

Y/G is my favorite color because it provides the best color rendition (excluding white). The drawback is that the LEDs seem dimmer than any of the other colored LEDs.

If you want the light to track for blood, go for blue. It's horrendous for color rendition and long-term use, but blood stains will stand out.

I won't commend on amber and red because Gadget already gave you the skinny on both. As far as color rendition, amber works better than red.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here a few things each color will be used:
White/red - red will save the human eye night vision capability
White/blue - if you want to play CSI or you go hunting it is perfect, it is easier to find i.e. blod
White/amber - will make it easier to see in dusty / foggy / smoke covered environment
White/yellow green - if you are pilot the yellow green should be very useful
White/IR - if you have a night vision device you can illuminate the environment with IR and in a night vision device this areay are brighter

I do have two Aviatory Red and Amber. This lights are both for me with practical use. The yellow green and the blue one would only for me two cool colors. But maybe I get this two colors also sometimes....?