• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Any interest in a monstrous UV lantern?

paulr

Flashaholic
I see that Besthongkong is selling 5mm UV leds for around 15 cents each. That immediately creates an urge to put 50 or 100 of them into a box about the size of a largish paperback book. The way I envision it, the leds would be on a PC board (thus a reasonable quantity of the lights would have to be made to cover the board fab expenses) and the light would be powered by an internal NiMH pack, with a jack on the box to plug in a wall wart charger (included). So it wouldn't really be a flashlight and wouldn't be waterproof or pocketable, but it would still be portable and battery powered, probably weighing a pound or so. It would probably have to be in the $125 range because of the amount of assembly work involved.

Would anyone want such a thing?

TheFire

Enlightened
I'd think a UV tube lantern would be more suitable for most applications...

drs2000

Newly Enlightened
It's hard to beat a couple germicidal G4T5 or so, stuffed into one of those Ray-o-vac or coleman fluorescent lanterns. Add filter and director as needed. Even the remote controlled rechargable knock-off I have was about $25. I forget what we paid for these G8T5 lamps, but it wasn't much. (8 watt version of above.) And you get more output at a shorter wavelength..

Just me, being cheap.

DRS the crazed.. YMMV