4xAA - Low Standby Current - Warm or Neutral White

Grimakis

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm looking for a light that offers either Warm or Neutral White.

Low Standby Current(something that draws less current than the self-discharge of the Eneloops I will use in it.

4x AA battery.

Durable
Reliable

This is the kind of flashlight I'd like to leave in a drawer and use in the case of power outage.

Before anyone asks why I'd like 4x AA, it's because of runtime and form-factor.

I've seen selfbuilts reviews, but I'm looking for a specific recommendation.

Thanks,
George

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite TN4A - 2 different flavors, one that throws a bit farther than the other, available in neutral white.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...IMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!&highlight=TN4A

"A standby current drain is inevitable on the TN4A, due to the electronic switch in the head. I have measured this current as 6.5uA on my sample. Given the batteries are in series in the carrier, that would mean that a 2000mAh Eneloop NiMH would be fully drained in about 35 years (theoretically). :rolleyes: Since this is far below the self-discharge rate of NiMH, it is not at all a concern."

But if you are worried, all you have to do is unscrew the two sections until circuit contact is broken, now you have zero standby current.

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I give my wholehearted, unequivocal recommendation for the Thrunite TN4A. It's available in NW with XPL Hi or V6.
I have the 1050 lumen Hi in NW and its distance rating is greater than any other soda can style lights on Nimh. It also has the widest spill of any of my lights and is a rock solid tail stander.
Get the V6 if you want a less focused hot spot. I've heard the spill is otherwise similar.
It seems to be built like a tank for a reasonable price. They're often on sale, too.
Theoretical parasitic drain is 35 years, which is less than battery self discharge.
I love mine. Can you tell?

proceed5

Enlightened
+1 to the recommendations suggested by Leanburn and HughJohnson,
Go with the Thrunite TN4A-HI.
(I am one of those who keeps a TN4A-HI in the drawer in case of power outages, for storage I store it with 4x 1.5 volt lithium & I mechanically unscrew the center battery cap just a lil bit).
It is excellent value for money and it produces a very nice beam profile with big bright spill.

Good luck with your decision :D

Last edited:

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Let me recommend​ a Thrunite TN4A...;-)

Unless you need the super throw, go with the regular TN4A in neutral white. It throws plenty far for most uses anyway and has a better beam for most tasks (and especially if you plan to use it indoors).

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option is the Sunwayman D40A, NW with optional Fenix diffuser. D40A goes on sale for $39 every now and then. Has low standby current.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Propoly 4AA extremely reliable and mechanical switch. It has 50 and 300 lumens levels. Mine has been working perfect. Top notch light.

Last edited: