eternaLight Rave'n

MY

Enlightened
Re: eternaLight Rave\'n

Sorry to hear about your financial woes. Remember that LEDs are very bright and hopefully they will illuminate the answers you need.

I am almost afraid to ask, but when are you going to finish the other Eternalight reviews?

Thanks.
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Good evening boys & ghouls.

The time has come for me to make some hard decisions regarding the fate of The Punishment Zone. Because the LED flashlight industry is literally exploding like a 2V LED hooked up to a car battery, The Punishment Zone must now receive the highest priority of all sections available on the site.

Things will be extremely dynamic over the next few days - pages changing right before your eyes in some cases.

Changes now in progress include:

1: The upper frame is no longer present when The Punishment Zone is accessed either via direct page hit or through the usual main menu.
Most people who want information on flashlights don't give a rat's *** about the bare LEDs themselves. The text links on the bottom of each page will remain, so there's always a way back home and to any of the discrete LED pages & to the Museum if you get lost or get a sudden urge to learn about a particular LED.

I have also noticed that on many occasions, someone referencing one of my reviews in this forum provides a direct page link, bypassing the main site anyway. (Please, keep doing this - it's OK).

2: Some new graphics have been added, either as completely new objects or as replacements for something that was already there.
Freshness is the key.
smile.gif

3: In some manner, the entry page for the Zone is going to have to be redone, because there are so many flashlights it's becoming a bit hard to find any particular one.

4: New test instruments both currently available and for proposed future installation will greatly increase the amount of information that I can provide about both flashlights and the LEDs used to make them. Eventually, I suspect a seperate "meter readings" section will have to be appended to every review to accomodate all of the new data.

Proposed measurements include luminous intensity (in directly measured foot-candles), current consumption, power utilisation curve, beam photo, beam profile analysis (potentially a large graphic), and overall beam configuration.

The prize at the end of the road is the potential distinction of being THE BEST independent flashlight review website in existence today.

Comments? Questions?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MY:
I am almost afraid to ask, but when are you going to finish the other Eternalight reviews?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As you may know, I have a LOT of lights that still need to be done. I was sidetracked for awhile by the Arc Flashlight issue, and I'm just now returning to the flashlight pile to work on some others.

Try http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/eterna.htm for my take on these things. I still need to do luminosity studies and battery life testing, but the page is essentially finished.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

if there's a better one i'd like to see it????? the best just got better from what i've seen. great job craig, also like the new colors and rating system! sorry to hear about your financial situation, but way to have the "stones" to post those wrongdoings for all to see! wish i could help more!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Edwood:
Hey Craig, any news on the availability of the CK Sauce? Haven't heard about this one in a while. Hopefully yours survived the earthquake.
Ed
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last time I checked, it was sometime in "early summer" - perhaps June or July.
Let me see what the website says...it was crashed a few days ago.

Retail availability: July 2001.
There are a bunch of NEW Sauce products being readied, not just the wand. All do pretty much the same thing, but they have different uses (some run on batteries, some plug in).

P.S.
Mine was in cardboard filing cabinet during the quake, and lived to tell about it.
I've been a bit on the busy side to play with it as of late, but it's here in one piece.
grin.gif

Just finished up the main portion of the mods to my website... so all the flashlight pages should now have the same look.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:
Good evening boys & ghouls.

The prize at the end of the road is the potential distinction of being THE BEST independent flashlight review website in existence today.

Comments? Questions?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I`m sorry to burst your bubble but the LED museum is ALREADY the best site on the web!

Elmie

Enlightened

I must agree that Craig's site rocks!!!
I bought a couple of lights thanks to his reviews!
The latest one I bought is the DB 18 LED. Can't wait to I get it
grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I`m sorry to burst your bubble but the LED museum is ALREADY the best site on the web!

I have to agree- the Zone is the best there is!

I bought a couple of lights thanks to his reviews!

It`s how my LED fascination got started too. I got internet access for the first time in the summer of last year, and shortly after, I found the LED museum and Punishment Zone. And not 15 minutes after first reading about Turquoise leds there (which I had never seen before then) I had gone on through the Photon review to Photonlight.com and ordered a couple Photon-IIs. There`s been no looking back since then!
And also I guess it is thanks to the Zone that I have been inspired to write my own reviews too. It`s a tough act to follow though, if they`re even only 1/4 as good as Craig`s, I`ll be pleased.

grin.gif
shocked.gif
tongue.gif

Doug

Enlightened

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:
You think I should use that funky background all over the site, or only on this page?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it seems appropriate for that light, but I think it is too busy for the rest of the site.

My 2 ¢'s

Doug

Doug

Enlightened

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MY:
Sorry to hear about your financial woes. Remember that LEDs are very bright and hopefully they will illuminate the answers you need.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Financial woes?

Doug

Doug

Enlightened

Comments? Questions?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it's great so far
smile.gif
!

Doug

D

**DONOTDELETE**

the positive reviews look good so far! keep em' coming craig, those types of replies should keep your work busy for some time!!!! led museum is required reading for all "flashoholics"
smile.gif

George Orl

Newly Enlightened

Craig's site is an invaluable resource for any consumer or flashoholic. I consult it before buying. Stated you are making Chgs to your site. My thoughts: For first time visitors, main page could have just a few icons such as LEDs, Reviews, New products, For Sale, Contact Info etc. Then say under reviews page, there would be small icon photos of LED lights {such as glowbug icons site} has to chose from. Once someone selected a given icon, more text and your nice larger photos could then load. Like your description of what these lights go through in the "Zone".
George

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
Well, it seems appropriate for that light, but I think it is too busy for the rest of the site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Busy'??

I'm not sure I know what that means in this context...
confused.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
Financial woes?

Doug
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...in that my total income for June is going to be all of $30...

Thanks to a snafu by the mailman in 1998, and failed appeals to the Social Security people, they're taking the full amount of a check I never received in 1998 (but which someone else apparently received or found and then cashed fraudulently) out of my June check.

My rent is 37% of my total income, my wheelchair payment is about $106 a month, internet is about $30, lights about $40, phone about $25, payment on misc. equipment is about $46, and pet supplies about $12.

Then there's things like food, shampoo, soap, toilet paper, batteries, baseball tickets, and the occasional drink I usually enjoy throughout the month.
blush.gif

That $30 I'm getting for all of June isn't going to go very far here.

So that is the 'financial woes' you were asking about...
blush.gif
tongue.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by franken:
the positive reviews look good so far! keep em' coming craig, those types of replies should keep your work busy for some time!!!! led museum is required reading for all "flashoholics"
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's more on the way...
The most recent offering - a white LED flashlight built into a handcuff key - designed for law enforcement...
That oughta be interesting.

Before anyone asks... when I post the pictures, I will electronically mask out critical parts of the key, so that nobody can just scan in the picture, measure & scale, and then manufacture their own handcuff key from my photo for ...ummm... less than legal purposes.

Given today's technology, it's the only right thing to do.

Gotta keep the good guys happy ya know.
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George Orl:
Craig's site is an invaluable resource for any consumer or flashoholic. I consult it before buying. Stated you are making Chgs to your site. My thoughts: For first time visitors, main page could have just a few icons such as LEDs, Reviews, New products, For Sale, Contact Info etc. Then say under reviews page, there would be small icon photos of LED lights {such as glowbug icons site} has to chose from<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My plate is so full now, even an 'Aluminum Thunderflush (jail toilet) couldn't dispose of it all without flooding.

I'm doing the best I can with the resources I have. I'm only ONE PERSON, responsible for all aspects of testing - stomping on the light, trying to bust the bulb, changing its batteries, and writing all of the web material about the flashlight being tested.

I realise that Glowbug is right on my tail - and that they already have some features which I either do not have or am not capable of producing.... so I need to "one-up" them in some other manner to help keep them at bay.

Don't get me wrong - Glowbug is an excellent source of info, and I would never knock them - but I want to do them one better.

The problem here is that Glowbug has instruments and software far more advanced (and expen$ive) than anything I have or could ever afford, so some of the data they present on their reviews is data that I could never reproduce.
I try to present things in more "real world" style - that is, I actually hurl flashlights against the wall or floor, and throw (not gently place) them into water and expose them to other hazards which I doubt the Glowbug does.
Sure, I break a flashlight now and again - but isn't that the whole point of these tests?

Let's say you're going on an overnight camping trip. Glowbug says the flashlight you brought is waterproof to a foot or two and is impact resistant.
That's fine.. but what happens when your little girl knocks it off the campground table and it hits the ground, rolls away and eventually falls down a steep, six foot rocky shoreline where it explodes into hundreds of little pieces when it hits the bottom?

I actually throw, step on, swing, and in some cases, run over flashlights to see if they break. Without ready access to a campground, mountainside, or cave; I just beat the flashlights against a steel rod and throw them around the room and ensure they hit something hard most of the time. Good enough for 98% anyway... if I need actual, physical rocks to test with, I take the flashlights up to Volunteer Park and throw them around there. That oughta take care of the other 2%.
smile.gif

The Punishment Zone isn't equipped with fancy hydraulic presses and impact hammers like Consumer Reports, but then again they don't take flashlights out in the REAL WORLD or abuse them like a REAL PERSON might!! They strap them into some evil torture anvil and throw a switch.

I turn the flashlight on and viciously lob it across the room, smash it against a metal table leg, get in my motorized chair and run over the sucker, stomp on it, bury it in a potted plant, and then try to drown it in the bathtub! If it still works, I'll strap that puppy on and go out 4-wheeling with it.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Got an interesting piece of e-mail while I was out today... it might be a bit off-topic here, but as many of you know by now, I run the world's largest baseball stadium fan website (http://safecofield.home.att.net) and this mail just about made me fall out of my new chair!

In light of all the bad things that have happened to me since last Christmas, I just had to share this.

-------------------------------------------
"I wanted to tell you how amazing your Safeco Field web site is. I grew up in
New York, in Queens, and spent many a summer day at Yankee Stadium, and what
distinguished it for me wasn't primarily the stadium, but the people you'd
find there that you couldn't find anywhere else. You are literally a Safeco
Field/ Mariners God.
When I look at your pictures, you're everywhere, you're
on TV, you've met the moose, you're like a legend. You bring personality and
uniqueness and a certain feel to the ballpark. While the fact that you're in
a wheelchair isn't a negative thing at all, I think that that uniqueness
brings you to an almost cult status. You're distinguishable, and what I
respect so much about you is that you've overcome your disability and
literally made an icon of yourself. I think one of the hardest parts about
humanity is that theres so many of us, you drive on the streets, you see
thousands of cars, you don't know anybody who's in each one, but each has a
life and goals. You've found a way to overcome that. Good luck to you and
maybe I'll see you in Safeco some day! I'd like to add your autograph to my
collection."
-------------------------------------------

You know, I've been called a lot of things over the years, but I've never been called a 'GOD' before.