Tactical Tail Caps

baileymoore07

Newly Enlightened
As everyone knows, Surefire is discontinuing the use of the tactical tail caps, the tail cap that operates as follows:

"Partially press tail cap push button for momentary-on low output; press further for momentary-on high output. Release to turn light off. Twist tailcap clockwise for constant-on low then high output."

In my opinion, this was the most intuitive tail cap for "tactical" use. Administrative tasks allowed for low light with dexterity. High-adrenaline, fight response would cause the user to fully depress the light for high beam, for identifying and disorienting threats. Bumping the light, as is necessary in "tactical" situations, doesn't cause the light to toggle between the modes. Drop the light in these situations and you don't risk the light turning into your face, broadcasting your position to the world and stealing all vision.

Which leads to my question. Do you guys know of another light manufacturer on the market offering a light with the same user interface at comparable quality? I'm currently running the EB1 with the tactical tail cap, but would like to know if I've got any options for further purchases.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen a UI matching your description since my SF A2 Aviator back in ca. 2005. I'm also interested in the answer to this question.

The Elzetta rotary tail cap mimics the SF twisty, but not the dual output UI described above. I suppose some people count the spot in between high and low as a "feature " of the high low cap, but I am not among them.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure there is a correct answer to this question because:

1) The switch you described is more commonly known as a two-stage switch.

2) That switch was made exclusively by Surefire (patented) and was never seen on all of their lights in the first place.

A tactical switch to me is just a switch that doesn't lock on when pressed, which Surefire patented. I'm pretty sure they still make single stage twisty tail caps for several of their smaller lights. I wish I could get a two-stage like you describe for my 6P but since they are still a giant in the industry, I don't see anyone else making them for some time to come yet. If ever. It's not about ability or demand. I simply believe Surefire would sue them into oblivion if anyone tried.