Review: Fenix TK25 R&B Red/White/Blue 1000 Lumen 1x18650/2xCR123

Jomohr84

Newly Enlightened
Review: Fenix TK25 R&B 1000 Lumen 1x18650/2xCR123

Overview

Product name: Fenix TK25 R&B
Emitter type: Dual XP-G2 S3 & XP-E2(Red and Blue leds)
Emitter tint: Cool white
Material: HAIII Anodized aircraft grade aluminum
Switch: Dual tail cap switches
Lens: Anti-Reflective coated glass
Max output: 1000 Lumens
Modes: Low, Medium, High, Turbo
Output: (White LEDs) 15L, 100L, 300L, 1000L | (Red LED) 25L, 150L | (Blue LED) 60L
Battery: 1x18650/2xCR123
Reflector: Smooth aluminum
Waterproof: IPX68 rated waterproof 2m/dustproof
Weight: 5.52oz empty
Size: approx. 5.61''(Length) * 1''(Body Diameter) * 1.57''(Head Diameter).
Special features: Momentary on, Mode memory, reverse polarity protection, Dual tail switches, low-voltage warning, intelligent overheat protection, Red led, Blue Led, instant strobe

This TK25 R&B was provided by Fenix for the purpose of testing and review. I have carried it for a month now, using it for work and at home, and am excited to share this review with you
Fenix has made quite an interesting light here, with a unique twisting head design that switches between red, white and blue leds, with dual reflectors and dual tail cap switches.

It is unlike any other light I own, and has performed well for me this past month, and seems on par with the quality I've come to expect from Fenix.

pyhPN8D.jpg

mN5kN1N.jpg

Contents: Nylon holster, TK25 R&B, instruction manual, customer satisfaction card, Clip, Spare O-ring and Lanyard.

aMNmwtn.jpg

The holster is very good, heavy-duty quality.

Fenix also provided an ARB-L18-3500U 3500mah rechargeable 18650, quite a nice option for those who like to travel light.

1XJSXrC.jpg
SoU4UBq.jpg

The battery features a micro USB port near the top to charge directly via any 5v micro USB charger, making for super convenient charging. It also has leds built in to the top to indicate charge status. Red means charging, blue means charge complete.

41EPHXr.jpg
FndgC0K.jpg
wfXqeOQ.jpg

Build Quality

This is a high quality light that should last a long, long time. It has a thick aluminum body, with nicely lubed square cut threads and very nice anodization.
7eY9a7s.jpg

After a month of daily use at my job as a maintenance technician, I can only find one tiny ding in the finish, and this light has seen a quite a bit of use; I don't abuse my tools, but I don't baby them either.

The body is round and straight to facilitate mounting on a weapon, with the head being 1.5 times the body diameter. The profile hearkens to a C8's figure.

The light comes with a pocket clip as well. I like my EDC light to have a clip, and this one works well to retain the light while allowing for quick access.

The tail cap switch is sturdy and has a very nice feel, with a gold plated spring. There is lanyard hole and the rear and the dual switches.

no8Ec9k.jpg

vrKk8HN.jpg

The switch protrudes, preventing tail standing. This is one thing I disliked. I use my lights inspecting plumbing, under buildings, in appliances, etc., and need my lights to tail stand so I can use free up my hands, so I have admit that is a small gripe I have with this light.

The head of the light has a gold plated spring as well, and features a twisting design to facilitate switching between 2 white XP-G2 S3 leds and the Red and Blue XP-E2 leds.

IAHwJMc.jpg

It works quite well in my opinion, and the red comes in handy at times I want to preserve my night vision and not attract as much attention. The blue could come in handy for tasks such as tracking wounded game, reading maps, etc.

Side by Side comparison for an idea of size:

FQ9b5JE.jpg

Left to right: (Fenix E12, Thrunite TC12 V2, Fenix TK25 R&B, Convoy C8)

Operation

The light features two switches, an on/off switch, and a mode switch. The on/off switch turns the light on with one full click, and off with another full click. It also has a momentary on function, which I also like all my lights to have.

no8Ec9k.jpg

The light features mode memory, and will be at the same output last used when you turn it on again.

The mode switch switches the output of the light, and also has a strobe function.

The rotary switch head is quick and easy to switch, just a ¼ twist of the head and you can switch from white to red and blue lights.

One thing I really like about this light is the instant strobe. From off, press and hold the mode button engages a momentary-on strobe. You can also access the strobe with the light on by holding the mode button, and turn strobe off by clicking mode again. In red/blue mode, this activates the high red setting.

Special Features

The light features a low-voltage warning, where it will drop from higher modes to low, and then flash 3 times every 5 minutes, according to the manual.

It also has Intelligent Overheat Protection, where it will step down the lumens if the temperature exceeds 65 degrees C. Normal function will resume once light has sufficiently cooled.

The red and blue leds are accessed by a twist of the head, which realigns the emitter board inside to line the leds up with the dual reflectors.

The red light comes on first in the cycle, going red low -> red high -> blue -> repeat.

This light is also a perfect candidate for mounting on a rifle or shotgun. It is too big for a handgun. I mounted it on my Colt LE6920 AR-15, using an Elzetta flashlight mount, and it fits and works perfectly.

fbEXigR.jpg

Output

tNZVLjZ.jpg

From the back of the box

Again, the light has 4 brightness modes

This light is digitally regulated for constant output, no PWM

Tail cap readings are as follows, tested with fully charged Fenix 3500mah 18650

Low: .03A
Medium: .20A
High: .70A
Turbo: 2.2A

The following are my own personal output estimates, I in no way purport them to be 100% accurate, take them for what they are, my own personal estimations.

5SwrKoO.jpg

As you can see, Fenix is pretty spot on with their testing, and this light has plenty of output power, and throws really well considering the reflector design. It also mounted really nicely on my rifle. It has found a new home there, and I have every confidence that it will not fail if I need it.

Some beam comparisons to give an idea of tint:

vbEnCTH.jpg

Left to right: (Fenix E12, Thrunite TC12 V2 NW, Fenix TK25 R&B, Convoy C8 Warm)

The Turbo mode surprisingly performs quite well compared my other lights, even some of the throwers! I can light up my entire back yard, or see the field 100 yards from my back door with ease. Here is a picture of my back yard, the trees are about 35 yards away.

VkLhlfK.jpg

(Turbo!)

cz3qSDz.jpg

(Red High)

6lxNtek.jpg

(Red Low)

dE2rFie.jpg

(Blue)

Very impressed with the output from this unique design, the photos don't really do it justice, not like seeing it in real life. The red and blue leds also have nice outputs, the High red lights up my entire back yard, so I find the Low red setting more practical for my use.

Conclusion

I must say that I really like this light, and while I can see it serving just about anyone very well, those who regularly need red and blue lights will get the most value out of this light.

For everyone else, it has fantastic output, on par or better than any of my other lights, and actually throws very far, especially considering the reflector design. I would not hesitate to buy one if in need of a good quality flashlight for general use, hunting, military and police\LE, or for mounting on a rifle or shotgun.

Thanks to Fenix for providing this sample for review! Hope to review more of their lights in the future!

Last edited:

Geoffrey

Newly Enlightened
Re: Review: Fenix TK25 R&B Red/White/Blue 1000 Lumen 1x18650/2xCR123

Nice review!

I was also selected to review this light, it really is a great light.

proceed5

Enlightened

Thanks for reviewing this.

Impressive range from the red and blue lights.

Loverofthelight

Newly Enlightened

Amazing review which makes me relax, thanks. I bought this for my dad as Father's Day gift, hope this will surprise him and I will show him this review, I believe this will help a lot. Thanks again.:naughty::naughty::rolleyes:

asqasu

Newly Enlightened

Impressed

colight

Enlightened

Thanks for the review! I am looking for this!:devil: