Wonder if I can get some advice on a penlight

milehigher

Newly Enlightened
I have looked at Genes stuff armtek thrunite nite core till my head is ready to explode i need someyhing in the AAA form factor to fit in pocket it will be an backup EDC , I would like something that can dim down to moonlight have a middle ground and a top end that could be a flamethrower, the reason is it has to fit in s pen pocket, i would prefer a clicky , it would bea spare ever ready and present EDC , I have premature cataracts do I really like bright and don't want my top end to be 80 that's about middle for me , i eould like to stay in the $50 or under so it can life in yhe pocket full time , every time i dress out its sllready there waiting , and something that if it's wrecked or lost its not going to be emotional, I will just pony up for another, experiences reccomrdations and SWAG welcome any input to help advance me from looking looking looking to take my money would be great , oh and reliability is also good it may go months between fire ups or used s lot and them not act all for awhile ! The top deck isn't written in stone I will spend more if needed to get something exquisite weather than functional or good ,

Thanks a million candles .

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's going to be hard to find a AAA light, especially a single cell one, that will do much over 100 lumens for any length of time. I would suggest a Lumintop Tool, but it tops out at 100 lumens. Other than that, it is a very nice little light that would make a great EDC. One thing that I like about it that some others don't is that it starts in Medium, then goes to Low, then High. There is no memory. I find that Medium is fine for most of my needs when I am using mine. It comes in many flavors. One has a choice between a Cree emitter or a Nichia, which gives better color rendition but not quite as much output. It also comes in regular anodized aluminum, copper, tungsten, and brass.

elzilcho

Enlightened
The latest version of the Streamlight Protac 1AAA has 115 lumens as its high mode and low is somewhere in the 5-15 lumen range. Not exactly moonlight. Still a very nice, reliable light.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
If I were to buy a penlight now, I would go with the Nitecore MT06MD. It's got a nice selection of outputs, decent quality, and a Nichia LED. The price is very reasonable - it seems like a good value.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The latest version of the Streamlight Protac 1AAA has 115 lumens as its high mode and low is somewhere in the 5-15 lumen range. Not exactly moonlight. Still a very nice, reliable light.

This

And you can ten tap it to start on low if that's your preference. Streamlight has gone to using low settings that provide a decent amount of light to guide your steps in darkness for 15 feet or so with night adapted vision. Yet it makes for a fuel sipping light with lots of runtime on the triple a battery. For pre-cateracs you may find that output helps you focus in low light.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thrunite Ti4 has 0.4, 32, and 300 lumens modes on 2 x AAA.

If you need 1 x AAA, the Ti5 modes are 0.08, 10, and 130 lumens. If you need much more than that from a 1 x AAA size, it would have to be something that can use 10440 lithium ion batteries.

The beam on these isn't the greatest due to noticeable green tint in the hotspot, but it was reasonable enough I was going to keep my Ti5T until it turned out the switch was defective. Clearly I was unlucky, as most reviews of the light are positive. At $20, it is not a light you will cry over if it gets lost.

Suggesting it as one option of many. I can't rank them compared to the other lights suggested above, but think both Thrunite models are near the top of the 1xAAA and 2xAAA categories for brightness.

Gt390

Newly Enlightened
It doesn't quite make the price point but the Titan plus seems to meet all the size and output requirements. Although its low is probably not considered moonlight.

milehigher

Newly Enlightened
Well I though I had decided pretty much on the four sevens, wanted to verify a few things but they have ignored responding to multiple emails, that says volumes about a company when they can ignore a pretty simple question on their product ,so I am reevaluating all the reccomendations to find a new candidate and will ask them my questions and hopefully get my answer and buy my new lights. I thank you all for the reccomendations and will up date you once I get my new lights .

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Don't find any AAA lights that I know I'd be pleased with, following your requirements, but if double-AA's is an alternative:

Streamlight 88033 ProTac 2AA 250 Lumen Professional Tactical Flashlight with High/Low/Strobe w/ 2 x AA Batteries
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GXF9OA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Nitecore MT2A 345 Lumens LED Flashlight w/ Bonus Premium Holster - Use 2x AA Batteries
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQNZWIS/?tag=cpf0b6-20

If it's primarily a size/carryability-question, give this one a look-see:

Jetbeam EC-R16 Rechargeable CREE XP-L LED Flashlight 750 Lumens
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BGJVVC/?tag=cpf0b6-20

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...echargeable-(XP-L-HD-1x16340-1xCR123A)-Review

Got the Niteye myself, and while it doesn't use AA/AAA, but a single CR123A, it got several brightness-levels, is very small (for its output) and very light.

All three listed here are within the 40 USD price range.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
My current favorite is the Nitecore MT06MD, but that's neither dim enough or bright enough for you. The Nitecore MT06 is my next favorite, it throws much further than the MT06MD.

I MUCH prefer the mode sequence on my MT06MD LMH over my IYP365 MLH, but that's personal preference.

I don't know anything about the other options.

Last edited:

milehigher

Newly Enlightened
Well the questions I had were finally answered on the four sevens so i ended up picking up 2 bolts 2 preon 2 , and a pair of streamlight i wil test each one for a month to see who becomes my favorite my friends love my rejects, because they are still in the eveready and maglite era and dont understand why things get rejected "because this thing is bright as hell" . So thanks everyone , I started trials with the Preon 2's today, the only bummer was I couldn't get blue.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be interested in your thoughts on those lights.

Did you give the MT06MD any consideration?