Brightest Double AAA light?

BellyUpFish

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys-

For work, I use a flash light fairly regularly and currently use a Streamlight Microstream.

I like it due to it's small size and it's fairly bright.

Would you candlepower guru's have any suggestions on a better single or double cell flashlight?

TIA

BUF

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have *no* idea that can of worms you just opened.

A couple of quick suggestions: the Streamlight Stylus Pro is basically the x2 AAA version of the Microstream.

The Mini-Maglite in x2 AAA is surprisingly nice.

In Wal-Mart, they have a no-name penlight that runs on x2 AAAs and has a nice bright flood pattern with a tail clicky. I was pleasantly surprised at $14.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what you mean with brightest. The nitecore mt06 got a tiny xq-e led that will give a brighter hotsopt than the normal 2xaaa lights. They also have a version with nichia hi cri led. But if you want most throw go for the xq-e led, it will be hard to beat in terms of lux.

BellyUpFish

Newly Enlightened
I guess it was a broad request..

Let me try and narrow it down.

Run time isn't terribly important, I typically will look at whatever I need to look at briefly and keep moving. Most of my flashlight use involves looking at ID tags hanging off valves or leaks on pipes fairly high 20'+ into the overhead of our plant.

I don't need a wide flood pattern but more of a focused spot light.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cause you never mentioned budget. A very important factor on this forum.
On the Cheap:
For $20 or so, maybe try out a MiniMag AAA. Pretty sure you can add a Tailcap switch too.
I like the Lumintop AAA. It has a nice beam.

Double the budget & double the fun!
Peak Eiger Ultra QTC AAA. It can run on standard Alkaleaks or 10440 cells. 10440's will give you 3.7 volts vs the average 1.5 volts from a regular alkaline AAA.

Now for a different school of thought.
If you like the AAA due to size and want power, search up BLF X5 XPL-HI. It is what I would call AA forum factor. It runs on a 14500 cell. Like I mentioned above, these are 3.7 volt cells, unlike a 1.5 volt alkaline. This light throws very well. Great for brief illumination.

So to sum a few things up if I went way over board:
10440 are rechargeable and the same size as a AAA cell. They are unprotected and typically put out 3.7 volts. A light running one of these on high can only run short bursts and the battery will not last as long as a regular AAA.
The 14500 is the same as above but in a AA size.

Also know, there are some normal AAA lights like a Streamlight single AAA that can run a 10440. They will typically put out a good bit more light and usually it's ok for short brief blasts. However, Use at your own risk. Also, you can't stick two 10440's in a light that holds two AAA's. The voltage will fry stuff instantly.
Sorry if I went way out there. lol

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As far as stock AAAs go, I rely on the Lumintop IYP365 2AAA penlight on a daily basis. Very bright, 3 modes, and very reliable.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
MiniMag 2aaa.

Streamlight has a brighter than a microstream ProTac 1aaa. Pretty potent little flashlight but that 2aaa mini mag is cheap and easy to find at local box stores. US made with mostly US parts to boot.