Cheap, side switch, MicroUSB built-in charger, 18650 or smaller battery flashlight?

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Hello.

I already have Jetbeam KO-01, which fully corresponds to above given criteria, but I need another one. I can buy KO-01 again, but I'd like to test and try something different - just for curiosity. I'm not looking for lightsabers or anything above 1000 lumens, even 500 will be just fine, and I'd like to stay below $50. What is your suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Thanks, that looks to be an excellent choice, but it is currently sold out, and appears that astrolux is banggood specific brand - no other shops sell it, even nothing on taobao.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already have Jetbeam KO-01

according to this
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?420430-Review-JETBeam-KO-01
your light uses PWM (not here to argue about whether you should care or not, just telling you the fact)

the S41 also uses PWM, it is available at banggood in your price range, available in high CRI
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hargeable-LED-Flashlight-supplied-by-Banggood

here is a NoPWM light for $51 (use code blacknovember)
http://www.illumn.com/mecarmy-pt18-...usb-rechargeable-new-ui-battery-included.html

there is also a PT16, that uses 16340 or 18350, also less than your price limit with the code

bear in mind these PT series are cool white, and low CRI

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Astrolux S42 has some significant problems. I own one and wouldn't recommend it.

Astrolux is taking steps to fix some of the problems, but even with the fix, I doubt I'd recommend it.

What I like about the S42

* price
* light weight
* quad emitters

What I don't like about the S42

* initial batch's battery tubes are too short
. Won't fit 18350 or 16340. Astrolux is making a new batch of longer battery tubes and will ship them out for free to owners of the original batch upon request.

* Rubber USB cover falls out of position far too easily. Astrolux is making a redesigned cover that supposedly will stay in place better and will send them out for free to owners of the original batch upon request. However, I am concerned that the socket for the USB cover may not be deep enough and even a redesigned cover might not stay in place. No way to be sure without seeing the new cover.

* Awful UI - This is the biggest sticking point in my opinion. The UI is absolutely horrible.

mode group 1 (7 modes)
Long click for on to moonlight (no memory).
from the on position short click to advance modes
from moonlight long click to jump to turbo. (turbo output decays smoothly but steeply over 30 seconds or so)
double-click: swap to mode group 2

mode group 2 (4 modes):
this mode group has memory.
long click to turn on in last used mode.
short click to cycle to next mode
double-click: swap to mode group 1
cannot access moonlight or turbo in this mode.

My problems with this UI:
- very unintuitive
- no shortcut to turbo from off
- no mode memory except in mode group 2, but that group lacks moonlight and turbo.
- long click for off and on

I recommend steering clear of the S42. There are other, much better choices out there, such as the Zanflare F1.

Last edited:

CuriousOne

Enlightened
​A friend of mine also suggested Manker U11, it has USB charging, compact design, and costs below $50. Wery likely candidate for purchase..