Arc4+ tail cap mod, version 1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cy

Flashaholic
Arc4+ tail cap mod, version 1.1

As a newbie, this is my first attempt at sending out a mod to CPF. So please bear with me as improvements progress. I need to first give credit to McGizmo who came up with version 1. My small contribution is just for improvements.

Based upon many feedbacks, lack of tactile feeling and accidental switching on is climbing to the top of the heap for Arc4+ concerns. This simple mod hopefully will address both.

Edit: IMHO Arc4's greatest weakness is surving a direct hit on the button. The front switch may survive a million cycles, but unless I'm way wrong. It's not designed to survive a multi-G hit. The upcoming protected tailcap hopefully in April will adress this important issue. Or the mod below will take care of this issue as well.

1. Remove original rubber tail cap, plunger, thin washer w/prongs & spring. Put these aside in case you want to restore original switch.
2. Original rubber cap is .075, thin washer w/prongs is .016, totaling .091 in. You must reinsert rubber material of .091 to maintain original waterproof specs.
3. Find .90 rubber and/or silicon sheet. Cut out with punch or scissor a 3/4in disc.
4. Find an aluminum rivet with a dome head dimension of .375 x .090. Clamp rivet in vise and carefully cut off head with hacksaw. Then take sawed off head and sand smooth the flat bottom of rivet head. You will end up with a domed plunger .375 x .090.
5. Re-assemble by inserting new rubber disc in aluminum tail cap. Then place domed plunger round side against the gold disc centered. Screw down cap w/disc keeping plunger centered. Tighten to original specs. The rubber should slightly bulge out. This is necessary to maintain a slight pressure on the gold disc for battery contact. If this is not done the light will not work. The other option is to place a loose copper washer at the bottom of battery.

4+ mod.jpg

That all there is to it.

You will end up with a switch that has a light tactile feel and is protected. The switch will bulge out slightly and almost stands on end.

Edited: You MUST insert new plunger dome side on gold disc, flat side against rubber. If you don't follow these instruction exactly. The switch will work, but will feel dead.

Please note the original plunger reduces to a point and engages only gold disc center. The replacement needs to duplicate the original action. The new domed plunger round side must face the gold disc.

Please note: I am currently using 3M rubber sheet that is .065 thick with cross hatch marks (when finished it looks factory). Once I find the .90 material, the plunger height may need to be reduced by .25. The plunger dimensions given above are based upon using .065 materials.

I have been testing this version 1.1 mod with zero switch failures. Please note this design is dependent upon the rubber maintaining pressure instead of a metal spring and may fail many cycles before a spring assisted switch.

I'll be posting pictures soon. I still need to set up a host for my photos. As I really want to get this mod out. I will possibly be offering this in a kit form at low cost for a small run.

Thanks,
CY

4+ parts.jpg

jpeg

Enlightened
pix please... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif
If you need a temporary host PM me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wolfram

Newly Enlightened
Way to go CY!
As a newbie (sel-proclaimed) you are a valuable addition to this forum.
Does this mod lighten the force required for latching the switch mechanism?
When are ya going to let go of your firefly?

cy

Flashaholic
I edited the above to include a picture. Please excuse the poor picture quality.

Please note the new plunger dome side down on the gold disc.
As you can see from the rough edges, I've still need chase down or make a 3/4in punch.

The round button is the new plunger made from cut off head of the complete rivet to left. Scroll to right and you will see the finished switch. It looks factory.

http://tjtech.org/~CPF/CY/4+mod.jpg

jpeg

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks great cy./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
I wonder what your going to do in version 1.2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Likebright

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

cy

Flashaholic
Ok... thanks to jpeg, I've got some better pics to show you.

4+ side view.jpg

4+ side best.jpg

Atrick-Pay

Newly Enlightened
Ok, here is 1.1 on the cheap and quick.

I wanted to try this out so I got a roll of
Duct-tape and a steel ball (I.E. b&b / Small bearing, Etc..)
Doubled 1 inch of the duct tape on it's self,
cut in circle. Put it. Put B&B on top. Put Gold on top
of that screw on slowly making sure to keep the B&B
in the middle (you can move it throught the Duct
tape from the bottom). Put in a battery and test her out.

The Switch has alot more feel to it and you
can feel the clicks.

Not water proof, and not pretty, but I'm interested
in doing it right now!

One question with the hight of the B&B I'm useing
the light can BEARLY stand on it's end, any better your way?

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
My wife had some of those small textured rubber sheets that are sold at WM to help open jars in the kitchen. I got the thickest one I could find (which turned out to be about 0.051"), traced a circle on it with the OD of the Arc4's end cap, cut it out, trimmed it down to fit the end cap's ID, used a Dremel to chop a 0.125" slice off the pointy ended shaft of a common disposable plastic clickie pen, and superglued the tiny slice (pointy side up) to the center of the rubber circle. Viola, a low profile button. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif It's very similar to cy's mod.

I'll try to locate a slim washer of an appropriate size. This should put a bit more compression around the OD of the rubber, and should also help the rubber to seal a bit better against the button opening. Something like the stock washer should do nicely, sans prongs.

The mod did improve my feel for the switch's action. That wasn't my reason for doing it though. I just wanted to minimize the chances for accidental activations. I carry the light bezel-down in my jeans watch pocket. I've noticed that when sitting in certain positions, my belt sometimes contacted the stock button with more than enough force to activate it. This was an issue even though I use semi-tactical mode, because the light was staying on momentary long enough to get warm. (Okay, so I sit behind a keyboard all day.) It appears that the mod will greatly mitigate these types of activations.

I hope no one takes offence at our pitiful attempts towards enhancing this already wonderful EDC light. I'm definitely in line to purchase the new factory switch when it becomes available. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jpeg

Enlightened
Will you be offering the kit soon CY? I am interested enough to try it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jpeg

Enlightened
Soooo, I get bored today at lunch, and decide to visit my local hardware store and ask if they cary any rubber sheets... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

After providing a little more detailed explanation, the gentleman pointed me to a do-it-yourself gasket package containing 2 8x8 sheets (an 1/16" and a 1/8") of red rubber (part no ACE40215) I cut the 1/16th sheet to spec, yadda yadda, added a sample from bumperspecialties.com (model BS-12) which we had laying around the shop, and together it went. I think BS only sells in bulk, but I'm guessing that you could use a wad of tin-foil and have the same results if you just wanted to try this out.
tailmod.jpg

tailmod2.jpg

I have to go against the grain here and say that I actually like the feel of the original button better. While this mod DOES shorten the lights profile and allows the light to stand in candle mode, it's not enough of a tradeoff for the loss of comfortable and easy operation.

Of course the way I carry my light, the event of accidental activation is quite slim. Still, if anyone wants to try this mod, I put my version together with yet another set of available materials, so hopefully some of you will find this useful.

cy

Flashaholic
This is great!!! some interest in the tail cap mod 1.1. I've been amazed at the lack of interest in this mod. It's so simple, but having correct tolerances is critical.

Jpeg, my version uses a soft 3M rubber with an aluminum plunger. Since the front switch's movement is aprox. .050 the travel is critical. You must maintain some pressure on the batt at all times.

I'm looking for 4-5 beta testers for the tail cap mod 1.1. I will be limited by the small amount of material I have on hand.
I'll be sending these out at no charge. I'm only asking for feedback.

IMHO the largest weakness of Arc4 is surviving a direct fall on the button. The front switch may survive a million cycles, but is not designed to survive a multi-G hit.

A tail guard is most needed. The upcoming tailguard will adress this issue. I like mine better, mostly because it's shorter by 1/3in.

Some people will not like this mod, you have to use the forefinge to operate, instead of your thumb. You can cure the hard/no feeling switch problem by installing a new spring or slightly crushing the original. But then you will increase the risk of accidental turnon.

Please post here If you would like to be a beta tester.

Thanks,
CY

jtice

Flashaholic
I was going to make one of these the pther night, but couldnt find the proper rubber:(

I can see from all the great input here, that it has its good and bad points.
I attached th clip to mine a few weeks ago, and now accidental turn on is not an issue.
But I like this idea, for if I ever want to just through it in my pocket.

I like how it allows it to stand on it tail, thats always a gret plus.

I will be a beta tester if you like.
I can writeup a review for it, and even take pics. (im a digicam nut) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Although it seems the pics are taken care of here.

Nice work guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-John

Status
Not open for further replies.