Looking for a good RGB

JohnD0406

Newly Enlightened
Since the Quark RGB and EagleTac D25LC2 Color are no longer in production, are there any worthy replacments? Seems nothing I can find has anywhere near the color output, nor color beam quality. Thanks.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF .... Your post above has been approved

I considered moving this over to the "Recommend" subforum, but I think this topic will be of wider general interest, so let's keep it here for now :)

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't comment on the quality, but maybe the Nitecore - MH27.
I think the colours are all low output, the op wants more power, or at least that's how I read the post.
Might be one of those, search many online shops and find the last eagletac colour ! ?
There is always filters to use.
Fenix have some powerful colour lights in the tk range.

ThePerishers

Newly Enlightened

My significant other has the MH27 and he likes it a lot. It's not very similar to the EagleTac D25LC2 though. (I don't have personal experience with the Quark RGB, so I can't comment on that.)

JohnD0406

Newly Enlightened

Thanks. I have a Nitecore SRT7. All the Nitecores are the same 13/19/3 lumens for R/G/B, with crystal clear LED's that cast the most interesting patterns, which is the opposite of what you would want in any light. The EagleTac D25LC2 Color had 120/240/45 lumens for RGB, just for comparison.

Last edited:

JohnD0406

Newly Enlightened
I think the colours are all low output, the op wants more power, or at least that's how I read the post.

Correct.

Might be one of those, search many online shops and find the last eagletac colour ! ?

I've searched quite a few online sites for the EagleTac, but all are out of stock (likely forever). I haven't given up, but did get discouraged enough to post here.

There is always filters to use.

How well do those work? I haven't tried any. It would be a second choice, since carrying around extra parts isn't appealing, but better than nothing.

Fenix have some powerful colour lights in the tk range.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

stephenk

Enlightened
Ledlenser P7QC may be what you are looking for. It is very popular with light painting photographers for obvious reasons, is brighter than the Quark RGB, and runs off 4xAAA batteries.

OldSage

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I have a Nitecore SRT7. All the Nitecores are the same 13/19/3 lumens for R/G/B, with crystal.....

Newbie here. So a bit clueless. Ordered couple days ago the NiteCore SRT7GT model. YouTube video comparison "illuminated" the difference between the SRT7 and GT model. Definitely brighter red and green. Sorry don't remember the YT channel (viewed way too many reviews). Long video +40min by David ???. Gives a discount code (25% off at Andrew and Amanda dot com) from the vendors providing the unit to be reviewed.

JohnD0406

Newly Enlightened
Ledlenser P7QC may be what you are looking for. It is very popular with light painting photographers for obvious reasons, is brighter than the Quark RGB, and runs off 4xAAA batteries.

That does look a lot more like what I'm looking for, thanks! Too bad it doesn't run on an 18650 or it might be perfect.

PS - I have the P7 (not the P7.2) and really like it...

JohnD0406

Newly Enlightened
Newbie here. So a bit clueless. Ordered couple days ago the NiteCore SRT7GT model. YouTube video comparison "illuminated" the difference between the SRT7 and GT model. Definitely brighter red and green. Sorry don't remember the YT channel (viewed way too many reviews). Long video +40min by David ???. Gives a discount code (25% off at Andrew and Amanda dot com) from the vendors providing the unit to be reviewed.

I found the YouTube video you mentioned. They were not comparing the SRT7 to the SRT7GT - they were comparing the SRT7GT to the MH27.

The SRT7 has 3x RGB LED's, so all 3 light up all 3 colors. The SRT7GT adds UV to the mix, therefore has 4x LED's, and each color is a single LED as far as I can tell (that, and they don't make RGB/UV LED's). Nitecore's lumen ratings are exactly the same though. I don't own both, and likely won't upgrade to the GT, so can't subjectively say for sure. In any case, they're all extremely dim colors compared to the lights mentioned above that are about 10x brigher.

Croquette

Enlightened
the eagletac color is no longer in production but is still in stock in some EU reseller. (UK and DE)

OldSage

Newly Enlightened
NiteCore SRT7GT and SRT9. White, Red, Green, Blue and UV.
20% off July 4th only discount at battery junction. Code= NITECORE4TH
SRT9 was on the wish list. Now ordered. Bit of an impulse purchase. Darn discounts:grin2::grin2:

jruser

Newly Enlightened
Get a T25C2 and a separate XM-L Color module. The modules are low in stock, but I see them on at least 2 of the major light dealers. The module uses the D25LC2 Color driver.

OldSage

Newly Enlightened
I found the YouTube video you mentioned. They were not comparing the SRT7 to the SRT7GT - they were comparing the SRT7GT to the MH27.

The SRT7 has 3x RGB LED's, so all 3 light up all 3 colors. The SRT7GT adds UV to the mix, therefore has 4x LED's, and each color is a single LED as far as I can tell (that, and they don't make RGB/UV LED's). Nitecore's lumen ratings are exactly the same though. I don't own both, and likely won't upgrade to the GT, so can't subjectively say for sure. In any case, they're all extremely dim colors compared to the lights mentioned above that are about 10x brigher.

Different video? davemz999's YT "SRT7-GT Review with SRT7-Revenge and MH27 Comparison".
Long video. ~32 minute mark a comparison of light quality between the 3 flashlights.
White light MH27=SRT7GT>SRT7. Relative luminosity in color modes MH27>SRT7GT>SRT7. Quality of light relative to smoothness/uniformity in color or white mode the SRT7 is poor compared to the other lights.

For my specific use I find the SRT7-GT's red and green lights brighter than needed. Based on the relatively poor focus, uniformity of illuminated field the SRT7-R was a no go. For maximizing night vision all three lights are probably not the best choice. Ordered a diffuser/filter (NFG40, the green one)and will use the white LED of the SRT7-GT when maintaining night vision is critical.

JohnD0406

Newly Enlightened
OK, so I got a few of the models recommended. First off, the Fenix LD75 is simply amazing! Level 3 plus XM-L white for wide fill is by far the most amazing hiking light I've used! Took it out night hiking last week. Now my brother wants one! Color bean spread is not smooth and full of artifacts, but gets the job done. I wouldn't recommend it for light painting photography.

The LED Lenser P7QC has a very nice flood with hardly any artifacting, but the "UI" sucks. Start off in bright mode every time, and try to half-click the power button... so close!

Got a used EagleTac D25LC2, and it too has a very nice flood. It remembers the last setting used, which is nice. Changing colors is not the best, having to twist the end twice and wait for the color cycle.

Nothing is perfect, but I have several color options now, so happy about that. Thanks.

PS - that Fenix!!